Author Topic: Japan Trip  (Read 1317 times)

Offline frvrngn

Japan Trip
« on: Wed, 29 September 2010, 15:30:53 »
Hello fellow GH'ers.  From reading various posts on here, I have noticed that several have been to Japan.  I'd like to pick your brains on that trip...

My mom is considering going to Japan as a "dream" trip.  She is in her late 60's and feels if she does not go now, she will never go.  She is Nisei, and my grandparents immigrated here when they were children.  My mom was actually born in a WWII "detention" camp.  Talk about a rough start as a child.

Any way, she really wants to go see Japan.  She speaks/reads ZERO Japanese.  She would be travelling alone.  She is looking at doing a full service tour, but that was getting rather pricey (around $8000 for an 8 day trip).  Now she is thinking maybe this just is not doable at her age.  I would love for her to go.  I would love to go as well, but with two small kids I dont think I want to take the family over there just yet!

So - is a trip for her doable?  Suggestions on what she Has to see?  She had the obvious things like Mt Fuji, and she wanted to visit Hiroshima and possibly Nagasaki.  She is more into the history and heritage vs. food and shopping.  She always used to take trips for food and shopping and wants to do something different.  She even thought she might see a sumo match or a baseball game if it was possible.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated!  How many days to plan, places to see, tour guide or not, places to stay or avoid, best time of year, etc...  Even ways to get her costs down.  She is getting severely penalized for travelling alone since most tours and things are priced around doubles.

Thanks-
Currently using: Cherry G80-1800 Ergo Clears, HHKB Pro 2, RF 87U Silent

Offline frvrngn

Japan Trip
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 September 2010, 16:45:49 »
Cant do it with my mom.  Dont have anywhere near that kind of spare cash to use, and wife would hurt me leaving her here with a 10month old and 3yr old for that long.  All our family is 10 hrs away, so they could not stop by to help either.

I was mainly worried about the language barrier for her.  I dont want to her to get stuck somewhere!  My aunt was just there as part of an official US delegation visit so they have been chatting about the trip.  My aunt always was with an official translator and in a fairly large group so her experience and my moms would be completely different.

I will let her know about the Kyoto/Nara area though.  Thanks!
Currently using: Cherry G80-1800 Ergo Clears, HHKB Pro 2, RF 87U Silent