Author Topic: Games? Anyone else wastes their time?  (Read 31423 times)

Offline Mercen_505

Games? Anyone else wastes their time?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 07 November 2010, 17:34:07 »
I'm replaying Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl with the Complete 2009 mod. It's like a brand new game now that most of the crashes and AI goofiness have been eliminated.

Offline grilkip

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 07 November 2010, 17:38:40 »
True Combat Elite, Medal Of Honor, Bad Company 2.
Filco tenkeyless (browns) - IBM Model M - Cherry G80-3000LSCEU (blues) Das Prof. S (blues)

ANSI FTW

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 01:22:18 »
Quote from: Mercen_505;243946
I'm replaying Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl with the Complete 2009 mod. It's like a brand new game now that most of the crashes and AI goofiness have been eliminated.

Me too, finnished SoC now, next I'm going to work on Clear Sky. Have to get to CoP when it has Complete.

This and likely next weekends I'm playing GTA: San Andreas, haven't played before...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 03:46:58 »
Mostly StarCraft 2. Sometimes TF2 and UT3 as well, when I get tired of Terran BS on ladder etc.
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Mionix Naos 5000 ~ Logitech Mx518
Flickr

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 10:10:53 »
Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos has been taking my time for the last few days, most notably after I got the SpacePilot working the way I wanted it to.

After a bit of .ini editing for the controls, it's quite workable on this notebook to play with just SpacePilot for movement and autopilot, and the keyboard with everything else. (Mostly because primary weapons do track in a limited arc in front of your ship and have lead compensation, to boot. It's less about marksmanship and more about maneuvering properly.) As for my desktop...I'm working on a TM HOTAS Cougar profile. There are just enough bindings in the game that I need to have some shift functions without resorting to the keyboard, but I've found that using the dogfight switch as the mode selector ends up being overkill. The S3 shift alone should do it, and helps save me the hassle of making sure the dogfight switch is in the right position while in the middle of a fight.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 18:48:19 »
Quote from: Azuremen;244140
Mostly StarCraft 2. Sometimes TF2 and UT3 as well, when I get tired of Terran BS on ladder etc.

How's Starcraft 2 ladder, by the way? Is it civilised gameplay or the same hit and run micro and cookie-cutter macro from Warcraft 3?

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 18:57:41 »
I wouldn't go so far as call it civilized, but it's a lot more macro oriented than WC3.
You can call me... Keyboard Otaku... or not quite...

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 20:03:23 »
Quote from: NewbieOneKenobi;244765
How's Starcraft 2 ladder, by the way? Is it civilised gameplay or the same hit and run micro and cookie-cutter macro from Warcraft 3?

That sounds more or less like any RTS that has a lot going on in it. SC2 is much more Macro focused but out of control Micro can win games. But if harassment style game play is "uncivilized" to you, you may not want to play this game. If you want to line up 200/200 armies and see who wins, play team games I guess, maybe?
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Flickr

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 06:17:32 »
I've been wasting a lot of time lately on L4D, L4D2 and Dragon Age: Origins. L4D2 is especially sweet in virtual LAN with a few friends.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 November 2010, 06:49:56 by db_Iodine »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline kriminal

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 06:34:09 »
i like the macro in sc2 than in any other RTS, its harassment style, very fast and isn't necessarily focused on having large armies...
just download the  mod for Stalker clear sky, however that game is to scary! :(
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 09:36:17 »
I hear if u play sc2 on korean servers it is exactly that micro heavy, "I kill you short time", ultra-agressive gameplay that is probably what u described in wc3.

Europe and US tend to be more macro oriented as you described but yeah, lot of cheese as they call it, too. Just make sure you scout enough and see when they try to build 2 gateways in front of your base or something like that and you will win the game quicker with your solid build.

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 17:33:15 »

Being in the bronze league since placement has banished me from ever playing a good game. 6/10 games are total cheese (SCV rush, 6 pool, cannon rush) 2/10 are just incredible noobiness (complete turtling, mass marines/zerglings/banelings/etc.), so that the 1 game out of 10 that is actually half decent, I'll win probably 60-70% of the time. Obviously I'm not advancing anywhere with that kind of track record. It really sucks too, because I'm in silver/gold in my 2v2 rankings with friends (it makes you have new placement matches with every new friend team you play with).

Man I wish I could re-place myself.

Moral of the story is USE ALL 50 PRACTICE GAMES BEFORE PLACING!
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 23:43:23 »
Super Street Fighter II Turbo on GGPO.
CS:Source
Also polishing off the rest of the expansions for Fallout 3 before I buy Vegas.

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 07:58:54 »
Quote from: CodeChef;245200

Being in the bronze league since placement has banished me from ever playing a good game. 6/10 games are total cheese (SCV rush, 6 pool, cannon rush) 2/10 are just incredible noobiness (complete turtling, mass marines/zerglings/banelings/etc.), so that the 1 game out of 10 that is actually half decent, I'll win probably 60-70% of the time. Obviously I'm not advancing anywhere with that kind of track record. It really sucks too, because I'm in silver/gold in my 2v2 rankings with friends (it makes you have new placement matches with every new friend team you play with).

Lol, that sounds oddly familiar :)

Problem is that the practice matches suck donkeyballs. 1) you play on those stupid novice maps with rocks in front of your entry and 2) the people there are just ultra, ultra, hardcore n00bs. I was planning to play a bunch of training matches first but stopped at 5 or so which I all won except 1 mega cheese.

Offline zefrer

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 08:12:54 »
Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;245336
Lol, that sounds oddly familiar :)

Problem is that the practice matches suck donkeyballs. 1) you play on those stupid novice maps with rocks in front of your entry and 2) the people there are just ultra, ultra, hardcore n00bs. I was planning to play a bunch of training matches first but stopped at 5 or so which I all won except 1 mega cheese.

Not to mention the reduced game speed. I started doing other stuff I was so bored when playing those practise matches.

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 18:38:00 »
Quote from: CodeChef;245200

If you are playing well, it will start placing you against more skilled opponents regardless of your division.

The Practice matches are terrible as well, they are at a different game speed with rocks to prevent early pressure. Will teach nothing but bad habits that you won't want later on.

Really, the big thing is just to develop a solid macro and you'll win against most players till diamond.
Flickr

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 05:35:50 »
Yeah but the problem is that if u get placed in bronze, silver or even gold that it gets tough to evolve a solid macro game cuz u constantly have to deal with all kinds of useless cheese. And more often than it should be you will even loose to that stupid cheese because you were focusing on training for a solid macro build.

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 08:29:29 »
Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;245851
Yeah but the problem is that if u get placed in bronze, silver or even gold that it gets tough to evolve a solid macro game cuz u constantly have to deal with all kinds of useless cheese. And more often than it should be you will even loose to that stupid cheese because you were focusing on training for a solid macro build.

That's exactly it. My builds are sound but I always seem to be too slow. Well, I don't care what you go, your build is going to be too slow when you're facing a 6 pool or an 8 pool or a zealot rush or a roach rush or...
I play with my Gold-tier buddy and we win every single time, because we got placed in 2v2 Gold as a team. I actually emailed Blizzard to ask them to give me my placement matches back. I know it probably won't happen but it's worth a shot.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 09:06:26 »
If your build can't deal with a bronze or silver level six pool, cannon rush, proxy barracks or other cheese, then it's not a solid build. You need to learn to deal with those kinds of strategies because they occur at all levels of play. TLO six-pooled Huk in one game at MLG in Dallas and even Fruit Dealer used a six-pool in a semi-finals match in GSL season 1. Cannon contains are very common at all levels in PvZ right now.
You can call me... Keyboard Otaku... or not quite...

Offline Brian8bit

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 11:21:23 »
I just bought a 5670 for my spare computer to get back into WoW with Cataclysm dropping soon. I said I wouldn't. But it's like heroin.

Offline Buckling_Summer

• http://www.elitesportservices.com
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 15:25:03 »
Once in a while:
Age of Empires III
Sid Myers Pirates

Hope to play when I have time (i doubt):
Monkey Islands
Grim Fandango
Dracula 1,2,3
Mafia I & II
PRESENT POSSESSIONS:
 Buckling Spings: IBM Model M 82G2383 Lexmarkian (1995) / IBM Model F PC-AT keyboard 84 keys (6450200)
XM Simplified 1 (Monterey K110 or AK-CN2 or Hua-Jie) Siig MiniTouch KB-1948 GeekHack Spacesaver edition
----------------------------------

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 19:02:35 »
Quote from: Fwiffo;245897
If your build can't deal with a bronze or silver level six pool, cannon rush, proxy barracks or other cheese, then it's not a solid build. You need to learn to deal with those kinds of strategies because they occur at all levels of play. TLO six-pooled Huk in one game at MLG in Dallas and even Fruit Dealer used a six-pool in a semi-finals match in GSL season 1. Cannon contains are very common at all levels in PvZ right now.

Indeed. I got 7 pooled by a 1500 point Diamond Zerg the other day.  You have to be able to handle cheese at all levels. Sound scouting it a big part of that, and knowing exactly how to react in some cases.

And cannon contain is practically standard against Zerg. My friend that is top 300 in NA always puts a Drone on patrol at the bottom of his ramp against T and P to prevent a bunker or cannon contain.
Flickr

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 19:22:28 »
Quote from: Buckling_Summer;246070
Once in a while:
Age of Empires III
Sid Myers Pirates

Monkey Islands
Grim Fandango
Dracula 1,2,3
Mafia I & II

I still got the original Sid Meyer's Railroad Tycoon game. Despite its crummy graphics though, it's actually a good game.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 07:18:06 »
Quote from: brian8bit;245952
I just bought a 5670 for my spare computer to get back into WoW with Cataclysm dropping soon. I said I wouldn't. But it's like heroin.

try ultima online

it's old, it looks kinda ****ty but it makes WoW look like childz play

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 08:44:00 »
Quote from: Fwiffo;245897

I guess you have a point there, but ar the same time, what do you do when you're getting your rax (or gate) and all of a sudden OMG 8 LINGS IN BASE WAT.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 09:46:14 »
the correct way I guess would be:

-scout earlier
-wall in better (better building placement)
- if u see a 6/7/8 pool, skip a worker or 2 to make an extra zealot/marines/bunker

Point is, executing cheese is fairly simple. Any player, Bronze or Silver, doesn't matter, can execute an early zergling rush with a 6 or 7 pool. They also won't be a lot less efficient than a diamond player executing the same rush. Of course they won't be controlling nearly as well and make some mistakes droning up parallel to their rush activity, but these drawbacks won't be visible until later in the game. So for the first few minutes, where they actually do the 6 or 7 pool rush, they will be more or less just as effective with it as a diamond player.

The difference is that in Bronze, Silver and maybe Gold, if you repel the first rush, they are done for. It is very likely that you will get them soon after and they have basically lost. In Diamond, players will be able to make a switch/transition into a macro build.

But at the lower levels, if you are scouting too late/at the wrong time (and let's face it, in lower level play that is a tough thing to pull off), then a cheesy build like that can kill you quite easily. And it sucks because they are not better players than you, they actually are much worse. They will probably never get out of bronze, while you will, because more often than not, they will loose with their cheese. But it slows down your own development and training of your build if you have to constantly deal with these poons and sometimes loose to them, too.

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 16:48:15 »
I'll try that out. You have reeeeeched dees keed.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 18 November 2010, 20:52:43 »
Stuck on Fallout: New Vegas atm
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 18 November 2010, 22:49:35 »
Wasting my time on Black Ops.
I dont have the stuttering issue others are facing, so i'm enjoying the game alot.
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 18 November 2010, 23:39:27 »
Quote from: squarebox;249006
Wasting my time on Black Ops.
I dont have the stuttering issue others are facing, so i'm enjoying the game alot.

Still on the second map on the single player campaign. I couldn't get into it.
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline godly_music

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 19 November 2010, 00:33:55 »
Played through Black Ops, they sure did crank up the corny in this game. Modern Warfare 1 & 2 are still superior to this IMO.

Offline Twitchy

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 19 November 2010, 04:28:45 »
Quote from: godly_music;249037
Played through Black Ops, they sure did crank up the corny in this game. Modern Warfare 1 & 2 are still superior to this IMO.

Black Ops is cornier than MW2?
O
M
G
Stuff
Filco Majestouch FKBN88M/UKB2
Topre Realforce 91UBY
Razer Imperator + Razer Vespula[/COLOR]

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 22 November 2010, 16:47:56 »
Quote from: Buckling_Summer;246070
Once in a while:
Age of Empires III
Sid Myers Pirates

Monkey Islands
Grim Fandango
Dracula 1,2,3
Mafia I & II

Out of curiosity, does AoE III with expansions feature a Meiji/uprisings campaign, Last Samurai style?

Quote from: kidchunks;248959
Stuck on Fallout: New Vegas atm

As soon as I submit that law Ph.D. I gotta finish first.

Quote from: kishy;246157
Been getting back into Dune 2000 myself lately.

Ah, Westwood, before the EA rape era...

Yeah.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 23 November 2010, 22:47:35 »
Speaking of AoE III, I got that as part of the GfWM sale and remembered why I'm not very much into RTSs-the interface. Hotkeys all over the place, too much of a stretch to use Shift, Ctrl, or Alt with keys 6 through 9 and still keep my right hand on the mouse, and so on.

As for other games, Impulse recently took a bite out of my wallet with the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and X3 Gold sales, and I'm just getting started on the former (Shadow of Chernobyl, of course; I'm not touching Call of Pripyat 'til I'm done with the first).

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 24 November 2010, 15:19:06 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;230524
Are those first three Amiga versions, by any chance?

(As an aside, "War has never been so much fun!" What an earworm...and shame on whoever made the PC port for removing it!)

Of course it's the Amiga versions... if there is an Amiga version of a game I usually choose to play that version since they almost always have better music and controls.
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline intealls

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 24 November 2010, 20:20:11 »
Speaking of Amiga games, Moonstone is the one I fire up the most. Other than that, Dead Rising 2 has been taking a lot of my time lately. It's seriously great.

woody

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 04:42:12 »
Dunno about the game, but the trailer is creative:

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 November 2010, 04:46:31 by woody »

Offline intealls

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 06:47:19 »
LOL, haven't seen that one. That was awesome. :smile: It doesn't say much about the gameplay, but it captures the 'zaniness' of the game quite well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 November 2010, 06:56:20 by intealls »

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 13:42:19 »
Anyone here tried Drakensang: The River of Time? I was thinking I might try it out during Christmas holidays.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 26 November 2010, 13:20:24 »
Not yet.

EDIT: Damn, I sometimes don't realize when I'm being redundant.

Anyway, SoC starts out hard, but eases up once you start loading up on ammo and get a decent assault rifle and some hand grenades...then goes into easy mode once you get a fast-firing AK.

I'm feeling the itch for more Independence War 2 again, though. Gotta finish up my Cougar profile...
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 November 2010, 20:20:57 by NamelessPFG »

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 26 November 2010, 13:24:23 »
I just got pretty interested after I read about the game and checked out some of the gameplay footage. This might be interesting indeed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 28 November 2010, 04:46:02 »
GTA SA done, next Tropico 3. If I don't find anything else from Steam tommorrow...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Konrad

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 28 November 2010, 05:10:48 »
I've been killing some time with good old Yuri.  Used to multiplayer it a lot, never actually done the single-player storylines.

Offline arc2

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 12:47:23 »
Anyone else play BF2 still, for me it is still miles ahead of any more recent releases ?

Offline SirClickAlot

• http://www.mrinterface.com
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 13:14:34 »
Quote from: arc2;254414
Anyone else play BF2 still, for me it is still miles ahead of any more recent releases ?

I've played BF2 for an enormous amount of hours, excellent game but I don't play it anymore....

Regards.
[Succes is when you get what you want
Happiness is when you want what you get]

Optimize your interfaces : http://www.mrinterface.com
Currently using( not necessarily my favorite : I iterate over my collection many times ):
Filco White Majestouch Mx Brown DS White on Black.
Looking for : New and interesting interfaces. Working on :www.deskthority.net

Offline grilkip

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 11:03:00 »

I've been playing BFBC2 for a few months now and out of nostalgia, I reinstalled BF2. I didn't play it for long though, BC2 has spoiled me in terms of GFX.

I'm looking forward to the Vietnam add-on.

Also looking forward to BF3, which is probably going to take quite a while still.
Filco tenkeyless (browns) - IBM Model M - Cherry G80-3000LSCEU (blues) Das Prof. S (blues)

ANSI FTW

Offline Konrad

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 11:17:05 »
Hey, can somebody play Battle Tanks at the GH arcade, please?  I don't wanna be the champion of this cruddy game, it's kinda embarassing.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 13:15:29 »

I haven't played it in a while, but out of what I played, it has the best infantry combat, though BF1942 and possibly Vietnam still come out ahead in vehicular combat.

BC:BC2 was a bit of a letdown for me; kind of wish I hadn't spent $20 on it so soon.

Offline grilkip

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 13:22:20 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;255033
I haven't played it in a while, but out of what I played, it has the best infantry combat, though BF1942 and possibly Vietnam still come out ahead in vehicular combat.

BC:BC2 was a bit of a letdown for me; kind of wish I hadn't spent $20 on it so soon.

The only thing I miss is 64 player maps.

The less jets the better....

ANSI FTW

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 00:33:48 »
I'm a little bhind on games.. the last I played was Team Fortress 2 and I'm currently enjoying Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones.

Cheers
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]