Author Topic: Buckling Spring Poll  (Read 2671 times)

Offline jpc

Buckling Spring Poll
« on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 22:28:57 »
Buckling spring users can vote in this poll.

Fans of other key switches can vote here.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline wellington1869

Buckling Spring Poll
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 22:31:57 »
this gives me an idea.  How about a poll for which buckling spring is the best?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline jpc

Buckling Spring Poll
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 22:57:11 »
What options would you put in that poll? Just M vs. F or something more?

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline wellington1869

Buckling Spring Poll
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 23:11:40 »
Quote from: jpc;231172
What options would you put in that poll? Just M vs. F or something more?

the poll options could be the major changes (real or perceived) from year to year in M manufacture.

oh wait. I just looked at the ibm article in the GH wiki, and it looks really complicated ;)

but maybe to simplify it:

-any F
-any M pre-1991
-any M post 1991
-Maxiswitch M
-Lexmark M
-unicomp M

there's some overlap but thats ok.

unless anyone has any other ideas.

Doing it by model number would be insanity.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline didjamatic

Buckling Spring Poll
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 23:16:28 »
To my knowledge there is not anyone on earth that has tried both and prefers Model M buckling springs over AT Model F buckling springs - but some dislike the layout of an F enough to go back to regular buckling springs in a Model M.

If there was a Model M layout keyboard with capacitive buckling springs that are lighter like the Model F it would be the ultimate keyboard.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Sam

Buckling Spring Poll
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 23:27:51 »
Some people notice a difference between PC/XT and AT Model F switches, myself included.  So you might want to have that as an option.  My 122-Key Terminal F also feels a bit different than either my AT or XT.

The problem with these polls is that a lot of people haven't tried all the options, so don't have an opinion.  It means lesser known options may get a much lower vote than if everyone had experience with all the options.  If someone's never tried a Model F before, they're naturally going to vote for one of the Model M's.  Given the availability of the M's over the F's, this will likely improperly skew the result towards the M's than if everyone tried the F's.

If a poll could be designed with different sections, that might help to give more information.  Like this:

Favorite Buckling Spring:
* F
* M
* Haven't tried them both
* No opinion

Favorite F:
* PC/XT
* AT
* Terminal
* Never tried them/more than
* No opinion

Favorite M:
* IBM pre 1991
* IBM post 1991
* Maxiswitch
* Lexmark
* Unicomp
* Never tried them/more than one
* No opinion

Would the buckling spring's predecessor (beam springs) qualify to be in the poll?  Likely not many have tried them, so I doubt much information can be gained.  Perhaps just one question added to the poll:

Beam Springs:
* Prefer them over M and F
* Prefer M and F
* Never tried them
* No opinion

If people add a post to explain their vote, commenting on which boards they've tried and various qualifiers or details, it would be much more useful.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 October 2010, 23:51:20 by Sam »

Offline Sam

Buckling Spring Poll
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 23:30:46 »
Quote from: didjamatic;231182
To my knowledge there is not anyone on earth that has tried both and prefers Model M buckling springs over AT Model F buckling springs - but some dislike the layout of an F enough to go back to regular buckling springs in a Model M.

Kishy does:
http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=231021&postcount=91

Offline didjamatic

Buckling Spring Poll
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 23:30:51 »
I was thinking the same thing, that an honor system of voting only if you've used all options would make it more accurate, but your idea of adding "haven't tried them both" would help that.

Offline didjamatic

Buckling Spring Poll
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 23:43:44 »
Maybe Kishy got a really pingy one.  Kishy, what is wrong with you?

Offline wellington1869

Buckling Spring Poll
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 00:20:28 »
Quote from: didjamatic;231182

If there was a Model M layout keyboard with capacitive buckling springs that are lighter like the Model F it would be the ultimate keyboard.

100% agreed

Offline wellington1869

Buckling Spring Poll
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 00:21:39 »
Quote from: Sam;231184
If a poll could be designed with different sections, that might help to give more information.

can such a poll be made within vbulletin's poll options?

Offline Sam

Buckling Spring Poll
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 01:06:32 »
Not sure about the polls.  I just tried to create a poll but couldn't figure it out quickly.  Maybe someone who's used that feature before knows.  If not, it could be done as three or four separate polls.

woody

Buckling Spring Poll
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 07:34:15 »
* Prefer M and F

Is that what they call "bi" ?
________
Toyota Hilux platform
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 February 2011, 13:41:57 by woody »

Offline jpc

Buckling Spring Poll
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 08:27:27 »
Quote from: woody;231271
Is that what they call "bi" ?

The buckling spring switch is bi and into body modification.

Still a blue-suit old-school IBMer in the light of day though.

Offline jpc

Buckling Spring Poll
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 08:33:21 »
Quote from: wellington1869;231176
Doing it by model number would be insanity.

Yeah, especially for the mini, which has a baffling array of model numbers for the same board.

To restore sanity, we should go by serial number. No two Ms feel exactly alike anyway :D

Offline KillerBee

Buckling Spring Poll
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 09:10:40 »
Early M's are the BEST!
IBM Model M 1386304 Nov. 1985