Author Topic: Guide me how to do this  (Read 1725 times)

Offline yumadtho

Guide me how to do this
« on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 23:28:40 »
Hi all
This seems the best forum to ask for guidance on how to convert my laptop keyboard to a usb one. This...should be easy for most of you, as long as ive seen some stuff here i couldnt even understand.
It`s a keyboard of an acer aspire 1640 laptop, with a ribbon 25 pin cable.

Took a couple of photos of its label and cable.
So what do i need to start soldering and how to do it?

Offline yumadtho

Guide me how to do this
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 00:07:00 »
Thanks
That keyboard looks awesome and is cheap, but I really want to give this a try first, to satisfy this urge of accomplishment feeling that i know i`ll have if at least i`ll try without quitting the day i started.
So i`ll need a keyboard controller with the usb cable attached to it.
Should I just come back once i have it, or there are some general...i don`t know...universally applicable steps or something like that, that you can already give me before having the actual controller to show you?
I know these are noob questions, but i want to learn.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
Guide me how to do this
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 03:44:45 »
I personally have no idea how to do this but wouldn't you have to match the new controler (usb) to the physical matrix of the board. Would there be a calibration issue with the chatter/bounce algorithms when matching different key actuations? Maybe that relates more to mechanical switches though and not regular domes and scissors... hmmm...

I think you would have to actually follow each trace from the keys contacts to find which pin related to it and map that out. Then find another keyboard (with usb) and map those traces and pins the same way. But if i understand the idea of the key matrix they would have to be the same for both boards or certain keys would register improperly or not at all. I figure if they were way off they would block and ghost like crazy.

Maybe someone can point out an easier way, but like what ripster said this seems like quite the undertaking. Good luck to you though, and welcome to geek hack =)

Edit:
given what you just recently wrote above, I would fail quickly trying it, so you could move on sooner =P
Atleast you can then promply quench that urge for accomplishment by quickly crushing it with defeat.
Seriously, I am much more optimistic and upbeat in real life =)
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 October 2010, 03:48:57 by clickclack »
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline Findecanor

Guide me how to do this
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 07:02:09 »
A keyboard needs a controller. When you buy a standalone keyboard, the controller is on a circuit board inside the case. With laptop keyboards, the controller is usually on the laptop's motherboard.
Each keyboard has a "matrix", which is like a map between keys and signals. Every keyboard type has its own matrix, and every controller is built for one particular matrix or a few variations of a matrix.

Therefore, you can not just use any controller. You need to make your own controller, which is easier said than done. You need to figure out the matrix and program the controller with the matrix. Then also build the support circuitry for interfacing your keyboard with the matrix.
Only very few members here have done it, and I think that they are all engineers. I suggest that you start by reading up on these things in the Modifications forum on this site. There is a lot to learn.
🍉

Offline witherbill2

Guide me how to do this
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 June 2011, 13:00:18 »
I was wondering if yumadtho ever found out how to do this.  Yes, you could buy cheap keyboards but I also have the itch to reuse some laptop keyboards just like I am reusing some laptop screens using controller packages I purchased from njytouch.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Guide me how to do this
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 June 2011, 13:49:10 »
You could also wire up a teensy/teensy++ there's a pile of examples in the Mods forum/wiki thing.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Guide me how to do this
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 June 2011, 14:52:26 »
Reusing laptop screens?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)