Author Topic: Help Me Fix My OmniKey 101(P?)  (Read 1171 times)

Offline DONDON

Help Me Fix My OmniKey 101(P?)
« on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 23:08:53 »
Alright...

So a while ago I ran into an OmniKey 101(P?) and got it off of a guy who had a whole bunch of random PC gear. I knew even less then than I know now about keyboards, I just knew that it was an old keyboard that clicked and that when I was younger I had a FK-2001 that seemed similar. I had no idea what alps switches were, or if it was a 101P, or anything. I just picked it up because there wasn't any reason not to.

When I got it home and plugged it in I noticed 2 things that bothered me:

1. One of the home row keys felt wrong. It's not that it didn't work, but it didn't feel right (I think it was the S.)

2. The second and more troubling problem was that when I pressed and held a key down it would type a letter as usual, pause, and then spam letters twice as fast as a keyboard would normally.

I thought, "Oh well, I have a keyboard that I've been using and I'm fine with" and stopped thinking about it entirely until recently when I started to play a Team Fortress 2 and I noticed a problem with 2KRO and being unable to have control over movement (by the time I actuate a key, I've been pretty committed to moving in that direction for some time because the springs go so deep) on my Model M. So I started looking around for a keyboard and I stumbled upon this site.

But I'd forgotten about it so much that when I moved I left it with my parents in a box that's in their garage. Now I'm going to have it be shipped so I can work on it and hopefully use it.

I'm assuming that the fast letter repeating is a common problem, or the keyboard was even programmed to do that but I really have no idea.

I am also curious how hard it is to replace a complicated alps switch.