Author Topic: OCN makes me sad.  (Read 17728 times)

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 18:26:42 »
Quote from: ripster;238675
MW's OCN Poll:  "Do You Use Computers".

While checking MW's User Profile I saw WebWit had friended him.

MW, please say yes to my "friend" request so I can subsequently "unfriend" you.

I'm guessing that you make OCN sound like more of a chucklefest than it actually is...

Offline Phaedrus2129

OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 18:36:58 »
It's not that bad. Christ, you make it sound like the place is run by the Gestapo with help from the Stazis or something.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 18:38:16 »
Nobody's done anything to the "Do you use computers" poll yet.

But the road kill poll was too much for some mod's 10-year-old brain to handle, so they called over their mommy to delete it.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline keyboardlover

OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 18:40:09 »
Quote from: ripster;238679
Personality test.

Are you looking at Zooey's legs or wondering why Marvin is so sad?
Show Image

Definitely the legs. What's that say about my personality?

Offline Jimi

OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 19:03:09 »
Lots of trolls, fanboys, etc... There's no such thing as preference, only "mine is superior".

Linux section isn't bad.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 19:30:08 »
You all know what? I just came up with the greatest idea. I'll make a PC vs. Mac poll on OCN and watch the fun begin.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline keyboardlover

OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 19:34:38 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;238698
You all know what? I just came up with the greatest idea. I'll make a PC vs. Mac poll on OCN and watch the fun begin.

Offline Maytan

OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 20:35:38 »
Quote from: ripster;238689
The Audio section gets a little weird.  The Headphone guide says that you don't want USB headphones partly because USB picks up too much "noise" from the Motherboard.   Wha?  It's a digital signal. 00011010000101010010101010101010

I'm not defending that guide, as there's plenty of inaccuracies in it, but USB is always criticized for introducing jitter. Jitter basically adds distortion to the sound. It's a bit complicated, but you can find a lot of discussion on the subject over at Head-Fi.

In addition, the more things you have on the same HUB as your sound device (such as a DAC) the worse off your audio is. (reasons should be obvious)

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 06:10:20 »
Quote from: ripster;238731
I have three SlimDevice (now Logitech) Slimboxes so have lurked in their endless discussions of jitter - although I've never heard it.

A streaming client would have local clock generation, so jitter shouldn't be a significant issue.

The "USB noise" problem could be caused by either "transmission hiccups" (popular in notebook when switching CPU power states) or just a dirty supply voltage paired with inadequate PSRR for the analog section.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline wap32

OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 06:48:48 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;238797
A streaming client would have local clock generation, so jitter shouldn't be a significant issue.

The "USB noise" problem could be caused by either "transmission hiccups" (popular in notebook when switching CPU power states) or just a dirty supply voltage paired with inadequate PSRR for the analog section.

Usually power supply noise is indeed the reason to avoid USB powered audio devices.

Typical computer PSU's are noisy, probably because of the HF noise introduced by the switching circuits, not to mention noise introduced all the other devices.

Offline Rajagra

OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 08:04:54 »
Quote from: wap32;238808
Usually power supply noise is indeed the reason to avoid USB powered audio devices.

Isn't it strange then, that everybody on voice recognition forums recommends using a USB dongle sound card for the mic, because it gives a cleaner signal than most internal sound cards.

And that opinion is backed up by the cold hard fact that the most accurate rates of recognition are achieved by mics connected by USB dongles.

Of course there are many, many cheap and nasty USB sound cards available for around a dollar. They shouldn't be used as a benchmark.

Offline Maytan

OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 11:36:10 »
Quote from: wap32;238808

I still wouldn't say you should avoid USB powered audio devices. I would avoid things like the Logitech G35's, yes. But that's mostly because the drivers (as in the speakers) suck.

Jitter isn't something you really need to worry about until you get some beefier cans. Like HD650's or K702's etc. I want to add that, it's still preferred that you use a linear regulated PSU for any DAC you may use. (as opposed to using either USB or a wallwart.) But upgrading the PSU of a DAC shouldn't be a primary concern until, as I said a few seconds ago, you get some beefier cans.

Another good item for USB audio devices is the ADUM4160 dongle. Provides clock regeneration and separates your DAC from the computer's dirty ground.

Quote from: Rajagra;238835
Isn't it strange then, that everybody on voice recognition forums recommends using a USB dongle sound card for the mic, because it gives a cleaner signal than most internal sound cards.

There's a good chance that the ADC (analog to digital converter) of the USB dongles you're referring to are of higher quality than your onboard.

Offline wap32

OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 11:42:49 »
Quote from: ripster;238840
This seems illogical.  Use a analog headset powered by a PC instead of a digital headset powered by a PC because of a identical noisy power source?

Yes, you are right, I was in a different context.
This might have to do with me spending too much time lurking on Head-Fi, but I didn't even consider the "analog headset powered by a PC" part.
I assumed the USB headset as an alternative to an externally powered DAC connected to an analog headset.

So yeah, if we're talking between an internal or USB powered sound card, that will be used to output an analog signal to a headset, then the effect of the PSU is the same.
There are other reasons to avoid USB headsets however, such as the fact that you won't be able to upgrade to a higher quality source.

Quote from: Rajagra;238835

And that opinion is backed up by the cold hard fact that the most accurate rates of recognition are achieved by mics connected by USB dongles.

Of course there are many, many cheap and nasty USB sound cards available for around a dollar. They shouldn't be used as a benchmark.

It should be easy to deduce that since internal sound cards are powered by the computer PSU as well, they suffer from the same problem.
How much that affects sound depends on the quality of the sound card, be it USB, PCI, whatever.

Your comment on voice recognition makes sense, but might not be related to power supply issues.
Microphone levels are pretty low (need a gain of about 1000 IIRC) so they are particularly susceptible to noise.
This includes not only noise from the PSU, but also EMI interference from the thousands of signals on the computer.
In lower-end internal sound cards, or laptops, this type of noise can be easy to notice: a static-like sound that usually changes with HDD/USB/CPU usage.
This is simply interference from the many I/O signals on the motherboard.

Using an external device (like a USB card) can reduce the effects of such interference.

Offline Maytan

OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 12:12:18 »
coolface.jpg

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 16:49:45 »
Alright, this poll should stir up some attention. And the rampaging 10-year-olds (aka RTYO's or mods) should love it!

Offline keyboardlover

OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 18:05:25 »
Ripster, according to MW's sig, he's giving you a chance...

...to do a hip hop dance!

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 18:13:24 »
Well, the dumbasses on OCN deleted my lovely poll. So, I created this wonderful screenshot of it for you all to enjoy.

I don't believe this thread was against the rules so if I'm in the mood, I'll make a big stink about its deletion.

Offline instantkamera

OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 18:23:12 »
ok that's enough... this is XSS - cross site spamming. Posting about trolling other forums is trolling (unless you are on a troll aficionado forum).
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline Maytan

OCN makes me sad.
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 19:11:33 »
Sure.