Author Topic: Affordable Split Keyboard  (Read 701 times)

Offline snott

Affordable Split Keyboard
« on: Thu, 23 May 2024, 05:00:11 »
I am using a Kinesis Freestyle for 10 years and now it must be replaced. I replaced the mylar sheets inside more than once, but the springs or whatever are starting to go and it seems the keyboard is just too old.

I would like to buy a Kinesis Advantage, but I can't afford it. :(

So I researched a bit and found that many people like the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard. It's well under $100 and looks decent. I detest Microsoft also and I use Linux, but if the keyboard will work, so I'm willing to try. :)

I realize that the clicking will not be as nice as my Freestyle, but after examining my use, I think that I "bottom out" a lot anyway so that's not a real problem. I think I just need the ergo layout and even though I keep my Freestyle haves a bit farther apart than the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard has theirs, I am guessing I can get used to that. I am trying to put my closer together and it's slightly less comfortable, but that could also be just due to habit.

Also I have no wrist rest my on Freestyle, so anyhow overall, I think the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard will work for me.

Any ideas/feedback before I buy one?

Online Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: Affordable Split Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 May 2024, 01:04:32 »
I'm not too sure of what your looking for layout and price but I've made some reccs that seem pretty reasonably priced

https://keebd.com/products/corne-cherry-v3-rgb-keyboard-kit - the corne is a great kit and for kits is pretty cheap, however it is a 40s layout so that might not be for you.

https://keyhive.xyz/shop/lily58 - the lily 58 kit is a 60% kit and seems pretty good as well + it's a more normal layout, just gotta figure out some layers.

If you can't afford the kinesis advantage, maybe look on ebay, you might be able to find some good deals that are in your price range.

Hope this helps :)