Author Topic: Looking for Keyboard: Japanese Layout : Mecahnical : Widekeys : Similar to LiberTouch  (Read 4072 times)

Offline x2p

I've been pondering a new Mech-Keyboard for a while and originally was gonna go with Cherry Blue but I had second thoughts and tried out some keyboards.

So far I have concluded none of the Cherry keys have been appealing to me but their prices are lower enough here in Japan for me to just go with one.  The problem is that Filco Keyboards' keys are too tight for me.  I have very large hands and my fingers end up rubbing and I click multiple keys.

I tried out the Fujitsu Libertouch which was amazing, great fit, size etc.  But the latest revision has been buggy in Japan (num lock led shuts off then keyboard follows and must re plug in frequently) so as much as I was going to go for it I decided I may as well ask for an alternative.

Things I want in the keyboard:

• Similar feel to Libertouch
  • Japanese Layout
  • Not Narrow Keys
  • Tenkeys included

Thanks in advance everyone!:roll:

Offline msiegel

that's an interesting keyboard

the force graph looks closer to Topre switches, although anything with Topre switches tends to be expensive. hmm... :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline Rajagra

Are you certain the spacing between keys is bigger than normal? 3/4" (19mm) spacing is very standardized. Maybe the key cap tops are in fact narrow, which gives the illusion of better spacing? I say this because the keycap puller seems rather thick and might not fit between the keys of some keyboards.

Looks like a good puller where it does fit though.

Offline x2p

the force graph looks closer to Topre switches

Ya thats what I was thinking, but I havent found any keyboards with Topre Switches (I think)

Are you certain the spacing between keys is bigger than normal? 3/4" (19mm) spacing is very standardized. Maybe the key cap tops are in fact narrow, which gives the illusion of better spacing? I say this because the keycap puller seems rather thick and might not fit between the keys of some keyboards.

Attachment 13433

Looks like a good puller where it does fit though.

They maybe larger than normal but they feel similar to the 5$ keyboard I am using now.  I think that your right that it may be the key cap tops are narrower.

Offline ~Blood~

I always wondered how people can type with that kind of space bar.

I really don't think you will find a JAP layout keyboard made specifically for big hands though. Sounds logical, right? Japanese people don't have big hands.

Offline x2p

Quote from: ~Blood~;244297
I always wondered how people can type with that kind of space bar.

I really don't think you will find a JAP layout keyboard made specifically for big hands though. Sounds logical, right? Japanese people don't have big hands.

You get used to it very quick,and if you type in Japanese at all the keys next to it can save you minutes if used right.

I think you have a good point with that.

With the Numlock and keyboard shut down you think its something that could be fixed via firmware hack or maybe some other hack?

Also can someone comment on keyspace between Realforce boards and Filco?

Cheers

EDIT:  I actually found it 150$ (12000yen) and reports are saying Rev. 07F is ok so I will contact shop and check the revision ver.

Thanks for the help so far and Ill keep up to date
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 November 2010, 04:54:51 by x2p »

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Have you checked my wiki on where to find keyboards in Japan?

Buying Keyboards/Mice in Japan

I was there for a year (and actively searching for keyboards).

Edit: And let me know if stuff has to be updated, as things do change.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 November 2010, 10:43:04 by HaaTa »
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline x2p

Quote from: HaaTa;244572
Have you checked my wiki on where to find keyboards in Japan?

Buying Keyboards/Mice in Japan

I was there for a year (and actively searching for keyboards).

Edit: And let me know if stuff has to be updated, as things do change.

Thanks for the link :)

Im already fluent in Japanese and Ive tried a dozen or odd shops for keyboards and know the general retailers/suppliers.

One thing you may want to add for online retailers is adding kakaku.com and www.bestgate.net they are great for checking up the best prices.  Also rakuten.com, not always the cheapest but at times you can find prices that are insane low like 30% off.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 November 2010, 08:09:47 by x2p »

Offline itlnstln

But not JIZ keyboards.  That would just be gross.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
Quote from: x2p;244578
Thanks for the link :)

Im already fluent in Japanese and Ive tried a dozen or odd shops for keyboards and know the general retailers/suppliers.

One thing you may want to add for online retailers is adding kakaku.com and www.bestgate.net they are great for checking up the best prices.  Also rakuten.com, not always the cheapest but at times you can find prices that are insane low like 30% off.

Thanks, I'll add them.

WHOA, rakuten is awesome! Just translated to English and displayed prices in english, and they have a **** load of keyboards I've never seen before.

I'll post back soon.
Kiibohd

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
Bestgate and Kakaku are pretty neat, and give a good overview on what's available.
Kiibohd

Offline x2p

Alright sorry for the no reply for a couple days, got busy since its the end of term and well tonight I got myself 6-7 sitches... doc wanted to do 20-25 but no amount of local anesthesia was really helping for half the leg so he gave up for now.

Anyways here we go.

I tried a topre real force board, it was nice but something was off for me the layout and key shape is my guess but it did feel pretty nice.  I then tried cherry brown, which I was able to type epic fast, infact faster than I could think XD so turned into a ton of typos.  Seems like the fujitsu is the perfect between.  hmm or browns

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
Which Topre did you try, Uniform 45g, 55g, 30g or Variable weighted one?

Not that there's anything wrong with browns, or even the fujitsu.
Kiibohd

Offline x2p

Quote from: HaaTa;245324
Which Topre did you try, Uniform 45g, 55g, 30g or Variable weighted one?

Not that there's anything wrong with browns, or even the fujitsu.

I believe I tried 45s

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
The difference between the 30g -> 55g will be how fast you think you can type vs. mistakes.

55g has a snappier lift off, so it's closer to say a BS board in that it'll give you a bit of a rebound onto the next key.
30g will be really really light, which will make it very mistake pron until you get used to it.

Now, I haven't really seen that many 55g and 30g Topres in Japan outside Cleverly in Akihabara. Usually I see variable weight boards, and occasionally 45g uniform.

Now variable weight, is a bit of a different beast, as it tries to get the nice balance (45g for stronger fingers) for all fingers. This is definitely the most common one.
Kiibohd

Offline x2p

Quote from: HaaTa;245655
The difference between the 30g -> 55g will be how fast you think you can type vs. mistakes.

55g has a snappier lift off, so it's closer to say a BS board in that it'll give you a bit of a rebound onto the next key.
30g will be really really light, which will make it very mistake pron until you get used to it.

Now, I haven't really seen that many 55g and 30g Topres in Japan outside Cleverly in Akihabara. Usually I see variable weight boards, and occasionally 45g uniform.

Now variable weight, is a bit of a different beast, as it tries to get the nice balance (45g for stronger fingers) for all fingers. This is definitely the most common one.

Now that I think about it I think 30 would make the most sense since fujitsu comes with stock 45s.  What would the MX Browns be like? (Theoretically).

I believe I have strong fingers compared to most (1) I am 6ft3 and between medium and heavy build  (2) tons of sports that include finger strength (BMX/other biking, lacrosse etc)

Cheers

Hmm.... I'm surprised you didn't like the Topre keys. They are bit lower profile like the Fujitsu's. I think the high profile of the Filcos may have bugged you - it takes me a bit to adust when swapping from a doubleshot Cherry Key Filco to a standard one.

I think that they were only 30g which was causing the problem.

Offline x2p

So I thought I would update with my choice,  I chose the Filco Cherry Brown w/NKRO japanese layout