Author Topic: If keyswitches were candy bars...  (Read 7054 times)

Offline ManjyomeThunder

If keyswitches were candy bars...
« on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 14:10:26 »
Would Cherry Blues be Snickers?

Current Favorite:  Noppoo Choc Mini with Cherry MX Blues
"Storage": ABS M1, Unicomp Customizer 104, Razer Lycosa, (3) Dell AT101W, GeekHack Space Saver
Other stuff: Razer DeathAdder, eXactMat

Offline bigpook

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 14:55:14 »
Cherry blues would be skittles

Cherry browns would be three musketeers

Topres would be a reeses peanut butter cup

BS would be a chunky
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 15:08:18 »
rubber domes would be Big Turk. Eww.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 17:53:48 »
Rubber domes would be typical American chocolate, the **** that everyone eats but no one realizes is so ****ty.

Cherry Blues would be Swiss Chocolate.

Buckling Springs would be Canadian/British Chocolate

Topres would be, like, Japanese chocolate. Do they even eat chocolate in Japan?
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline zefrer

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 18:54:34 »
Topres have to be red bean pastries. Cause those are awesome.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 04:23:39 »
Quote from: ripster;245218
I enjoy the grittiness of Hershey Dark Chocolate.

That European fancy stuff is kinda gay.
Show Image

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26788143

don't worry since you like dark chocolate your safe from the fake chocolate. i actually quite rather miss hershey bar's (their chocolate bars are still made with real cocoa, i just have so much chocolate i haven't bought chocolate in years only the cooking kind)

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 07:38:44 »
Quote from: ripster;245218
I enjoy the grittiness of Hershey Dark Chocolate.

That European fancy stuff is kinda gay.

Fancy European stuff has lots of cocoa, little sugar.

American stuff has lots of sugar almost no cocoa.

You will know the taste difference if you try both ^^

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 08:11:42 »
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline godly_music

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 01:06:52 »
MX blacks would be this:

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 13:19:33 »
Rubber domes = standard Hershey's chocolate (not very fulfilling, but cheap and common)

Buckling spring = something like Snickers or 100 Grand (lot of crunch and texture)

Topre = some sort of smooth, fancy milk chocolate with just the right texture, perhaps a truffle. (I want to say Toblerone because I LOVE that stuff, but it's a bit too textured with the extra little delicious bits to count for this description.)

White XMs = I honestly don't know what to say here, because I can't think of a candy bar that doesn't exactly have the most consistency and has some texture/crunch to it.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 13:51:41 »
euro chocolate tasted a bit more "sour" to me i think that's just the preferred taste.
Hershey is considered the lowest denominator in terms of Big Chocolate (kraft,mars,nestle,hershey) and as far as i've heard is really only American and doesn't have a global presence. The chocolate bars still give me nostalgia tho, pretty sure that is their main selling point.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 13:57:09 »
Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez
Fancy European stuff has lots of cocoa, little sugar.

American stuff has lots of sugar almost no cocoa.

You will know the taste difference if you try both ^^

This is true. I looked into it before; the EU has better standards than the USA regarding how much cocoa can be in chocolate for it to be considered 'chocolate'. Our requirement is MUCH less :(

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 14:01:07 »
Quote from: ripster
I thought you didn't like regulation?

When did I say that?

Offline Lanx

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 15:47:36 »
that's cuz us american's are stupid enough to let these lobby's run the whole admin. I mean look at all these ridiculous  commercials about "corn sugar. The corn lobby is basically aware that ppl are going "OMGS HFCL (high fructose corn syrup) is bads for us, never buy stuff with HFCL". So they are now trying to pass legislation (or have already?) that they can call HFCL "corn sugar instead'. These commercials are like "you know my body doesn't know the difference between sugar and corn sugar.

I mean they're trying to change the name so americans just look for HFCL don't see it, buy it but then they see corn sugar and think, that's ok!

A big difference between this issue and canola oil. I think no one wanted to buy canola oil cuz it was called "rapeseed oil" cuz the oil comes from the rapeseed, which if anyone with a modern understanding of english would just be adverse to put that oil in their shopping cart, so they said, can we call it canola oil?

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 16:06:39 »
If keyboards were candy bars...

...Ripster would still be a loser.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 16:10:18 »

...Michael Jackson would still be dead.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 November 2010, 17:13:44 by microsoft windows »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 17:18:49 »
Meh. You walk into a typical American supermarket and you'll find all the kinds of chocolates you want and all the levels of quality you'd want outside of a chocolatier, and in my local market we have a Moonstruck counter for that matter. Bring your bank account though. A small truffle is $2 and the larger ones $3.50. Superb of course and they'd better be. They go into the goodie bags for the stars at the Academy Awards as I recall.

Ghiradelli and Godiva have higher cocoa content offerings on the shelf if that's what one wants.

I don't care for the standard Hershey bar but I care less for any chocolate with Palmer on the package. Hershey Symphony is fine though if still low in cocoa content. At least it's the creamy brother to the chalky standard Hershey bar.

Is anyone really complaining about the chocolate in a Snickers bar or a Reese's P-nut butter cup? It may be different from what you're used to (sweetness/darkness/?) but enjoying them shouldn't place you into the lowbrow hillbilly category (I hope).

That said, my old reliable is the line of Lindt bar varieties. Dark, extra creamy milk, pear, orange, chili flavors, raspberry filling (yum).

My old membrane (just now replaced with my Filco brown) would be like a Mr. Goodbar. Dubious and not all that pleasant to get through.

woody

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 17:35:16 »
Yep, Lindt ftw.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 14 November 2010, 16:21:32 »
I also love Lindt. So very smooth, both the Lindor and Excellence varieties. (Don't remember the others, though, but I'm sure they're good.) ...Oh, actually, now I DO remember that other variant that was dark chocolate + chili, or all things. I don't like dark chocolate much (too bitter), but the spiciness was quite interesting to have in a chocolate.

Actually, now I just remembered about a foreign chocolate whose name I don't remember (it must've been German or something, because I sure as hell couldn't read the wrapper). I think it was milk chocolate with a hint of mint flavoring throughout (no, not a dedicated mint layer, but part of the chocolate), and some nuts for good measure (which kind, I don't remember). The wrapper had a bit of a light tan coloring to it...I want some more of that stuff, but it's obviously hard to find if you can't even remember the name.

Oh, and one clarification on my stance on Hershey-the standard milk chocolate bars don't taste that great to me compared to the premium stuff, but the cookies & cream bars are quite delicious.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 00:33:20 »
cocoa nibs are dirt ass disgusting if you want to ever experience "pure dark" chocolate.

Offline msiegel

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 00:34:34 »
mmm... crunchy, crunchy nibs

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 07:36:39 »
Quote from: TastesBetterOutdoors;246430

Is anyone really complaining about the chocolate in a Snickers bar or a Reese's P-nut butter cup? It may be different from what you're used to (sweetness/darkness/?) but enjoying them shouldn't place you into the lowbrow hillbilly category (I hope).

Nah, but when you eat it, you do realize "hm, I am eating ****ty chocolate, but all the caramel, peanut butter or other random fatty goodness makes it taste AWESOME!"

Lindt is a good choice. As far as factory produced/everywhere available, cheap chocolate goes, they set a good standard. Your Hersheys is our Lindt.

Now if only your NBA could be our NBA and not our FIBA :(

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 13:59:07 »
Here's what happens when a gourmet puts on a blindfold for a chocolate taste test.

http://nymag.com/nymetro/urban/strategist/everything/chocolate/10184/

When tasting the Toblerone he said:

"This is like an imitation of Toblerone. I used to like Toblerone. I’m not impressed with this. The nougatine piece inside is so sticky. I don’t eat chocolate to get sticky in my teeth. This is for people who don’t really know chocolate."

I find myself on the same page re the Cadbury. To me it tastes of raisins even when there isn't any. Disagree about the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I love the combo of chocolate and peanut butter.

He liked the Dove though. Me too.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 14:55:15 »
dove is exclusively marketed to the females.
(which is a blunder imo)

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 07:27:36 »
Dove and Cadbury are two more examples of low-quality chocolates.

Don't get me wrong, chocolate is pretty much always cool. But there is "alright/acceptable" and "****, this is friggin delicious!"...

I didn't say the reese's butter cups suck btw. Love 'em too and take a lot of heat for it. But the chocolate they use couldn't be any cheaper and lower quality if it were made in China.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 07:32:48 »
Dove?

Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 07:39:05 »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:03:46 by mr_a500 »

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 08:52:35 »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:04:05 by mr_a500 »

Offline Lanx

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 09:19:46 »
dove uses the most premium chocolate Mars makes.
for haata

woody

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 09:46:20 »
I'm not into sweets, but I do like dark chocolate sometimes. For example, this:

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 18:23:07 »
Dröste FTW.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.