Author Topic: Suggestions non-mechanical tenless?  (Read 2741 times)

Offline wanabe

Suggestions non-mechanical tenless?
« on: Mon, 22 November 2010, 20:10:42 »
Are there any decent non-mechanical keyboards in tenless format?  My problem is that I really love tenless layouts, but I’m also a pretty heavy keyboard masher at work.  My workplace is quiet (almost library quiet), so I always end up making a racket once I’m hammering away on my keyboard.  Even my filco browns are way too loud.  I’m using a MS Comfort Curve 2000 [Amazon Link], which I actually like for a rubber dome, but I want a more compact keyboard footprint.

I guess my criteria are:
-tenless or compact w/ full size keys
-quiet

Any alternatives out there?

Offline uff0

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 November 2010, 20:19:41 »
If you don't mind "flat" keys, then i would suggest the apple keyboard without the numpad.

Offline wanabe

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 November 2010, 21:18:48 »
Quote from: uff0;250949
If you don't mind "flat" keys, then i would suggest the apple keyboard without the numpad.

didnt think about that one.  I'll have to try them out at the apple store.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 November 2010, 21:21:48 »
What about the Thinkpad USB keyboard?

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 November 2010, 21:38:30 »
Quote from: Pylon;250991
What about the Thinkpad USB keyboard?

I've got one of those, and like it a lot.  It's my #1 choice when I need a nice but very quiet keyboard.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 November 2010, 21:53:43 »
What about the HHKB lite model? It's roughly the same price as the apple keyboard, and is a decent quality rubber dome. It might give you layout issues, though.

There are also rubber dome keyboards that look remarkably like the GHSS, such as this. Free shipping, not that expensive. I had a REALLY old one of these (IR wireless, ps/2) that was actually pretty decent to type on. Admittedly, it was wireless and small, which likely colored my perceptions quite significantly.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 November 2010, 22:46:22 »
SIIG Minitouch Plus - the black rubber dome variety
BTC 5100C - Another mini rubber dome that's decent
IBM Space Saver II - has trackpoint
You could also try Cherry ML switch keyboards like the G84-4100's.  They are mechanical and not noisy.  I have 2 of these if you're interested in them.  Just an FYI.  Oh, and they are really small.

And of course there are Topre switch keyboards like the 86u/87u/HHKB.  The 87u is available in even quieter form in Asia.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline wanabe

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 November 2010, 01:12:45 »
Thanks for the suggestions guys!  I'm leaning towards the SIIG Minitouch for now...the topres are definitely on my radar, but will have to wait until next year

Offline sairex

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 November 2010, 01:35:25 »
I'm currently using a Microsoft Sidewinder X6 which has a removable numberpad and basically transforms it into a tenkeyless keyboard.