Author Topic: Cherry MX Brown Switch keyboards.  (Read 6132 times)

Offline adRo.

Cherry MX Brown Switch keyboards.
« on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 00:30:00 »
Hey guys, I recently came across mechanical keyboards and learnt alot about them. I have decided that I would love one with cherry mx brown switches, however the only one i can seem to find is a filco majestic tactile touch. This keyboard looks fantastic, but as i live in australia it is going to cost me about $179 including shipping etc.

So i was wondering if there were alternative mx brown keyboards that where cheaper? Or is that price on the filco keyboard pretty standard for a mx brown switches?
Thanks!

Offline bakageta

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 00:35:03 »
That price is pretty typical... Another alternative is the Das Keyboard silent models. They use Cherry browns, and have a pretty standard layout. You should be able to pick them up within Australia, =KE-DASK3PROMS1SI]here and =KE-DASK3ULTMS1SI]here, and likely other retailers. You might be able to find some used Cherry-branded boards, but I'm not sure which models specifically used browns.

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 00:36:55 »
Quote from: adRo.;252193
Hey guys, I recently came across mechanical keyboards and learnt alot about them. I have decided that I would love one with cherry mx brown switches, however the only one i can seem to find is a filco majestic tactile touch. This keyboard looks fantastic, but as i live in australia it is going to cost me about $179 including shipping etc.

So i was wondering if there were alternative mx brown keyboards that where cheaper? Or is that price on the filco keyboard pretty standard for a mx brown switches?
Thanks!

The only cheaper ones that I know of are the Das Keyboard silent models and the Noppoo Choc Mini. Das has a numpad, Choc doesn't. You'll have to buy from Taiwan and eat stupidly high shipping costs for the Choc though, so it makes a 60 dollar keyboard cost like 80-90 bucks. The Das is 135, I don't know about shipping to Aus, but it should still be a bit cheaper...
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 00:37:38 »
BTW was the price in your first post in Aussie dollars or USD?
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline laden3

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 00:48:28 »
Quote from: CodeChef;252199
The only cheaper ones that I know of are the Das Keyboard silent models and the Noppoo Choc Mini. Das has a numpad, Choc doesn't. You'll have to buy from Taiwan and eat stupidly high shipping costs for the Choc though, so it makes a 60 dollar keyboard cost like 80-90 bucks. The Das is 135, I don't know about shipping to Aus, but it should still be a bit cheaper...

Noppo Choc is from China, not Taiwan..
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Mechanical+Switch+Keyboards+Sorted+By+Switch try pchome from Taiwan, the shipping to Australia is 10USD (don't ask why, its written right there)
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 November 2010, 00:51:20 by laden3 »
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 01:04:48 »
Isn't Taiwan part of China anyways?
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 01:07:30 »
Quote from: CodeChef;252209
Isn't Taiwan part of China anyways?

No. Taiwain is actually the Republic of China, while the mainland is the People's Republic of China. Different governments, and completely different economic development. Taiwan is kind of comparable to Hong Kong till the UK released control of it. Kind of.
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Mionix Naos 5000 ~ Logitech Mx518
Flickr

Offline adRo.

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 01:17:26 »
wow guys, thanks a heap for your quick responses! <3 ill have to check out those das keyboards

Nice find on that pchome laden! $10 shipping is great!

Quote from: CodeChef;252201
BTW was the price in your first post in Aussie dollars or USD?

USD unfortunately, however its converts to like $183 AUD atm, so not to much of a difference.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 13:11:41 »
Quote from: ripster;252330
Hong Kong was always China.  Just different rulers for a while.  

At least the British left behind High Tea at the Peninsula.

incorrect, for a long time China was treated as the Mexico of North America.Ppl would swim across to Hong Kong for days at the chance of prosperity.

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 21:48:35 »
Quote from: ripster;252330
Hong Kong was always China.  Just different rulers for a while.  

At least the British left behind High Tea at the Peninsula.

It was controlled by the UK. When people say "China" they generally mean the People's Republic of China. It was a separate government much how Taiwan is right now. Or at least that is how I remember it.
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Flickr

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 23:57:04 »
doublepost
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 November 2010, 00:09:20 by spolia optima »
keyboards!

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 November 2010, 00:01:00 »
The PRC, Taiwan, and Singapore are all "China". That is, they're all nations with Chinese language and Chinese culture.

Mainland China is the best. They should take back what's rightfully  theirs. "Taiwan", the illegal bourgeois government-in-exile, needs to be  stopped.

Also I, for one, welcome our Chinese overlords and their refreshingly functional brand of authoritarian market capitalism.

Totally kidding, of course. Nobody wants to see war break out in Asia. Not when they're so close to overtaking the West!
keyboards!

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 November 2010, 00:15:55 »
Double post is double.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline Parak

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 November 2010, 04:01:31 »
Quote from: spolia optima;252456
Nobody wants to see war break out in Asia.

Especially not a land war. Terrible idea, that.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 29 November 2010, 22:43:14 »
Quote from: Parak;252491
Especially not a land war. Terrible idea, that.

Inconceivable!
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 29 November 2010, 23:07:03 »
Strategic nukes would make a land war in asia nothing more than a brisk walk in the park. Macarthur knew that 50 years ago, sheesh. It's a shame noone listened to him.

also, will be interesting to see all those Korean starcraft players get drafted, come up against an IRL zerg rush. kekekekeke ^___^
keyboards!

Offline Lane Dean

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 13:12:24 »
Wow! I didn't know DAS had a student discount. Damn, I had my heart set on waiting for the brown Filcos to come in. I'm in a predicament.

And what's so bad about a land war in Asia? I don't understand the reference.

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 13:21:01 »
Quote from: spolia optima;254193
Strategic nukes would make a land war in asia nothing more than a brisk walk in the park. Macarthur knew that 50 years ago, sheesh. It's a shame noone listened to him.

also, will be interesting to see all those Korean starcraft players get drafted, come up against an IRL zerg rush. kekekekeke ^___^

Drafted? Every South Korean has mandatory military service as it stands. It is often why pros end up retiring. Plus the Air Force has its own StarCraft team as well.
Flickr

Offline Lanx

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 14:49:20 »
Quote from: Azuremen;254457
Drafted? Every South Korean has mandatory military service as it stands. It is often why pros end up retiring. Plus the Air Force has its own StarCraft team as well.

what he means by this is the skoreans surprise you with a draft, you could be drafted at anytime (you will eventually, everyone does) they give you a letter and 2 weeks to get your affairs in order then it's mandatory, this is to prevent skoreans from fleeing, ala Canada.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 20:13:18 »
It's a reference to The Princess Bride. The most famous blunder is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia!" But only slightly less known is "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...*thonk*
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 06:43:42 »
Quote from: theferenc;254658
"Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

Truer words have never been spoken.