Author Topic: Elitekeyboard replacing Filco  (Read 19650 times)

Offline BlueRain

Elitekeyboard replacing Filco
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 01:59:41 »
Got links? I'm not seeing much information on GH on Leopold. Maybe I need to learn how to better search...

Quote from: panda-R;257861
actually after reviewing Leopold even further, I think i'm still a filco fan. I'm not a fan of integrated LED's on the keycaps. Makes replacement troublesome!

I wonder if Leopold comes from the Ducky Factory? Their casing and tenkeyless look better than Ducky's though.

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 02:07:58 »
Quote from: panda-R;257861
actually after reviewing Leopold even further, I think i'm still a filco fan. I'm not a fan of integrated LED's on the keycaps. Makes replacement troublesome!

Well if you don't intend to replace the keycaps, the ducky pbt laser etched is nicer in my opinion.

But if you are then i totally agree with you.

You mentioned about the quality issue, and i agree but that was a review for the 1087. But isn't the ducky 9008 a different matter ?
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 December 2010, 02:15:42 by Moogle Stiltzkin »
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]

Offline Twitchy

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 02:08:56 »
There are some Leopold mechanical keyboards on this page.
Stuff
Filco Majestouch FKBN88M/UKB2
Topre Realforce 91UBY
Razer Imperator + Razer Vespula[/COLOR]

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 02:14:50 »
Thanks. Now I remember why Leopold sounded familiar — my HHKB Pro 2 roof was made by them. Do they have anything more interesting than a Filco clone?

Offline Twitchy

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 03:50:43 »
I think that that's it as far as mechanical keyboards on Leopold go. I guess that a Filco clone is exactly what you end up with when you look for a Filco replacement.
Stuff
Filco Majestouch FKBN88M/UKB2
Topre Realforce 91UBY
Razer Imperator + Razer Vespula[/COLOR]

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 06:28:54 »
In other EK news, Brian just told me that the black Realforce 86U will be available on the website in the next couple of weeks...

Edit: also why does everyone assume the Filcos will be replaced with Duckys? For all we know they could be replaced with something totally new that we've never seen.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 December 2010, 06:33:55 by keyboardlover »

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 08:08:44 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;257948
Edit: also why does everyone assume the Filcos will be replaced with Duckys? For all we know they could be replaced with something totally new that we've never seen.

We moved on from the "guess it's ducky" bandwagon to "Oh, it's probably Leopold"  a couple pages ago (given that the first keyword in EliteKeyboards' meta tags is currently Leopold).

Offline panda-R

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 09:45:09 »
Quote from: Moogle Stiltzkin;257907
Well if you don't intend to replace the keycaps, the ducky pbt laser etched is nicer in my opinion.

But if you are then i totally agree with you.

You mentioned about the quality issue, and i agree but that was a review for the 1087. But isn't the ducky 9008 a different matter ?

I am rocking the Ducky PBT right now on the 9008 and as nice as they are, there's always the possibility to replace the keycaps and lose the LED but thats just a small matter. I can't really tell from the pics of the leopold yet but I hope they cover up the front edge of the keycaps like a filco... makes things look nicer.

The 9008 seems to be higher quality than the 1087 especially in terms of studiness, but again it's not without it's faults as I have a broken foot and the ESC key's are all off centered.
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline jaynoon

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 14:28:57 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;257948
In other EK news, Brian just told me that the black Realforce 86U will be available on the website in the next couple of weeks...

Now that's some great news.

I've really been wanting to compare a Realforce to this HHKB (ugh $$$). Too bad the specter of the light-touch Topres looms large. Really wondering if those will be better. I certainly have no problem with the noise on the HHKB, it's damn quiet.
Home: Filco Tenkeyless Brown | Work: KBC Poker w/ Reds | Laptop: MacBook Air Keyboard

Offline bakageta

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 14:34:55 »
Hmm, well I guess that crushes my dreams of the white "Otaku" Filco being re-released at some point through EK. Time to start looking for a used one I suppose.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 14:35:41 »
Bro, the Realforce and the HHKB are night and day in terms of feel.  Just pull the trigger.  Help out the economy during this tough holiday season.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 14:36:50 »
Quote from: bakageta;258205
Hmm, well I guess that crushes my dreams of the white "Otaku" Filco being re-released at some point through EK. Time to start looking for a used one I suppose.

Check out Keyboardco.com.  I know they have white Filcos (not sure about Otaku).  You will have to pay for shipping from the UK, though.

Offline bakageta

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 14:40:57 »
They don't have any blank white ones listed, though they do have blank black ones listed with an unknown ETA. Shipping on that is going to be pretty killer though... :( I'll try for a used one first, I managed to pick up a black blank tenkeyless for ~$100 not that long ago, maybe I'll get lucky.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 14:57:26 »
Quote from: itlnstln;258206
Bro, the Realforce and the HHKB are night and day in terms of feel.  Just pull the trigger.  Help out the economy during this tough holiday season.

I shall follow itlnstln around and reinforce this opinion. Its so much difference that I have been thinking hard about whether I should sell my HHKB. I think ill just wait around a while and see if I can get my money back on it.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 15:03:05 »
It's a damn shame, too.  The HHKB layout is perfect, IMO.  The key feel is really a downer.  I almost didn't buy my Realforce because of it.  I just happened to get the 23UB, because I'm a numpad ****, and thought I might give a Realforce a try.  I'm happy I did.  Other than the layout, the Realforce series is much better in construction than the HHKB.  I understand that it's a portable 'board, but I would take a little more weight for Realforce construction.  Don't get me wrong, the HHKB is well-built, but the Realforce is a beast.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 16:17:33 »
If the key feel is better on the Realforce, why not switch out the membranes and springs with the HHKB?

Offline AlgoFlash

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 16:30:21 »
A friend ordered a tenkeyless Blue for me something like a month ago and I still haven't received anything yet (I live in Montreal, CA, no, up here not down there), I hope I'll get it! Anyone else having trouble with EK delivering in CA?

Offline Lane Dean

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 18:13:10 »
Did I miss an inventory reduction sale of some kind?

Offline Nadger

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 18:28:34 »
If you count "sales" as a prices going up and them selling out, then yes, you missed it.
● Logitech ♦ G600
● Noppoo ♦ Choc Mini 茶轴
● Plum ♦ 96 White / Red Switch
● Microsoft ♦ Xbox 360 Windows Controller

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 20:27:45 »
I was wondering what EKB was going to do about the Filco supply situation, looking forward to what Brian comes up with.  If the new goodies are comparable in features/quality to Filco but at a cheaper price (direct from manufacturer would help there), then I'll definitely hold off on a Rosewill in the new year.  I can't keep using Alps boards forever, though the $30usd shipping via USPS certainly makes any Cherry boards from the States less attractive.

Very interested to see what Xarmor comes out with in the new year as well.  The U9BL is nice, but I'd rather not have illuminated keys that just wear off.  Hopefully Phaedrus got a chance to offer some input about options they should offer.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline ironman31

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 21:01:03 »
Quote from: iMav;258262
If the key feel is better on the Realforce, why not switch out the membranes and springs with the HHKB?

I have a feeling (I think itlnstln does too) that the secret behind the realforce feel is the metal plate the domes are mounted on
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline ManjyomeThunder

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 21:38:29 »
Quote from: RickyJ;258376
I was wondering what EKB was going to do about the Filco supply situation, looking forward to what Brian comes up with.  If the new goodies are comparable in features/quality to Filco but at a cheaper price (direct from manufacturer would help there), then I'll definitely hold off on a Rosewill in the new year.  I can't keep using Alps boards forever, though the $30usd shipping via USPS certainly makes any Cherry boards from the States less attractive.

I keep meaning to buy boards with Cherry switches, but I keep getting roped into Alps, Alps, Alps! Not that there's really anything wrong with them.
Current Favorite:  Noppoo Choc Mini with Cherry MX Blues
"Storage": ABS M1, Unicomp Customizer 104, Razer Lycosa, (3) Dell AT101W, GeekHack Space Saver
Other stuff: Razer DeathAdder, eXactMat

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 22:04:29 »
Big plus for Alps is they're cheap, and you can clean them without desoldering them.  $30usd per keyboard for USPS into Canada makes anything cheap on eBay, not cheap.  Unless I'm buying something new and very worth the shipping charge, I'm pretty much stuck hunting for old Alps boards in Canada. :(
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline dissident

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 22:58:26 »
the cord where it attaches to the keyboard on my filco with cherry reds starting shorting out on mine and I ordered a very cheap keyboard, logitech k120, to replace it and noticed it's engineered in such a way that that kind of shorting will likely not happen. They should consider redesigning that area or even making the cord detachable.. I never carried the keyboard by the cord or anything, but in a HTPC setup it did get picked up from the floor onto my lap and set down onto the floor when in use.... it's true what they say a chain is only as good as it's weakest link. :)  Logitech mice are subject to this shorting too but it took much longer to manifest. On the other hand my sennheiser HD555 headphones have lasted 4 years of abuse including being thrown and picked up by the cord, and the cord has not shorted out yet. Go Sennheiser!

In the meantime I'm using this mushy yet nice and quiet logitech for the moment. I may just keep it. The filco was wonderful, but as long as I'm not using one of those roll up keyboards like my sister uses, and it has full size keys and they work, I find I'm not that picky.. more like that I like variety.. I should get the IBM model M out of the closet and start using that full time, much to the pleasure of the person living below me in this apartment. :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 December 2010, 23:02:26 by dissident »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 07:07:03 »
Quote from: ironman31;258385
I have a feeling (I think itlnstln does too) that the secret behind the realforce feel is the metal plate the domes are mounted on

This.  Apparently, the uTron suffers from the mediocre key feel as well.  From what I've seen, it also uses a plastic mounting plate.  HaTaa would be able to confirm.  If rdjack21 hung out more often, he could give us a dissertation on all of the different Topre implementations out there.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 10:24:52 »
What are you thinking, Ripster?  July?  August?

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 11:06:39 »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 22:02:53 »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline msiegel

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 22:22:59 »
@_@ gaaah!

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller