Author Topic: Anyone hear of "NMB The Right Touch!" ?  (Read 13541 times)

Offline user91

Anyone hear of "NMB The Right Touch!" ?
« on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 13:34:29 »
I have an old keyboard called the NMB "The Right Touch!", which I still consider to be the best keyboard I've had, due to its buckling, mechanical keys and its split backspace/spacebar. Unfortunately, no one seems to have heard about this keyboard, and there's scant information online about it.

I got mine at a computer fair in the early 90's, and used it exclusively from the time I was young, through most of college. Its relatively horrible condition (as you'll see in the pictures) is due to the extreme use it got.

Sadly, it has some problems. I once spilled soy sauce on the numpad, and--despite a good cleaning--it doesn't operate correctly. The enter key was also damaged at some point, so that the key cap no longer locks to the underlying mechanism, and flops around when you hit it.

It's also the only keyboard I know of that has an awesome key feeling (in my mind, rivaled only by the Model M, and actually superior in feeling to my Unicomp 104) combined with the "Erase-Eaze" backspace/spacebar combo, which--once you got used to it--was shockingly faster than using the traditional backspace.

So, does anyone know about this keyboard? Has anyone used and enjoyed one, or know where to get one?

Keyboard top:
Keys:

More photos:
Enter key damage (and dirt)
Label (partly torn)
"Erase-Eaze" label

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 13:42:51 »
Could be using NMB "space invader" switches. Could you pop a key off for us?
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline SirClickAlot

• http://www.mrinterface.com
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 13:45:53 »
Yes, let's see what kind of switches it uses?

By the way : since this is your first post -> welcome to GH!

Regards.
[Succes is when you get what you want
Happiness is when you want what you get]

Optimize your interfaces : http://www.mrinterface.com
Currently using( not necessarily my favorite : I iterate over my collection many times ):
Filco White Majestouch Mx Brown DS White on Black.
Looking for : New and interesting interfaces. Working on :www.deskthority.net

Offline user91

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 13:46:44 »
Did you look at this photo? http://i.imgur.com/E8LaH.jpg. Let me know if you'd like to see another.

Edit: Thanks for the welcome! I'll admit that I have tons of keyboards, but most of them are boring.

Offline user91

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 13:59:12 »
After Googling around, those do seem to be the "space invader" style switches, although sideways compared to some earlier NMB keyboards. Perhaps it's only sideways on the Enter key. I'm hesitant to pry off more keys, since I don't have a puller.

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 14:16:00 »
Just go for it, if you're careful nothing bad can come of it. Just pry off Pause/Break or something equally useless.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline user91

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 14:38:32 »
I already uploaded an image showing the key mechanism, though. I added it as a link, twice, to keep from spamming the forum, but I'll post it here:

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 15:09:53 »
I like the left thumb backspace.

Recently, I picked up one of these (a few weeks ago) NMB boards. Also did full dismantling picks (as you probably would want to do a full cleaning).

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=12861
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 15:19:00 »
I keep seeing these out there.  They are one of the few switches I have yet to try.  I haven't had much interest seeing as there are no production 'boards with them, but they look pretty neat.  Next time a cheap one pops up on eBay, I might have to snag it.

Offline user91

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 15:34:34 »
After reading that thread you posted, HaaTa, which says the Blue Cherry switches are most similar to the feel of the NMB, I'm eager to find a keyboard that either has those or Brown Cherry switches. Hopefully something that has a pretty standard layout too, and isn't cramped together.

Do people discuss Thinkpad laptop keyboards on here too? I have a lot to say about that.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 15:41:50 »
FWIW, I like the artwork on it :D

Offline user91

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 16:16:19 »
Ha, thanks. I haven't drawn on any of my modern keyboards, but I still like when my computer equipment develops that worn, workhorse feeling. I actually enjoy when the keys on my keyboards looks shiny and used.

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 01:32:11 »
IIRC the "right touch" models will either have NMB Hitek switches or REALLY NICE rubber domes. Like "wow they don't make them like this any more" rubber domes... that is, premium rubber cups w/graphite contacts over PCB with a metal backplate.

I could be wrong though. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 06:51:25 »
Quote from: PRISONER 24601;259982
Like "wow they don't make them like this any more" rubber domes...

I could be wrong though. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Topre.

Offline turbodog

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 17:36:27 »
I have 3 for sale in the sale thread. Exactly like yours (switch wise) except it's got a standard spacebar and no windows keys.

Offline turbodog

Offline turbodog

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 10:54:09 »
$80 shipped (UPS) for all 3. If no response by next tue (garbage day) they are gone.

Offline MissileMike

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 11:25:21 »
The nmb space invader switches are very nice- pretty close to cherry blues in feel.
BS: 5 Space Savers  ||  9 42H  ||  10 1391401 or similar  ||  1x 1390131  || AT&T 305b  ||  Dell Model M
Cherry: Leopold FC200RC/AB  ||  3 Ducky 1087  ||  PLU ML87 ||  Cherry G80-8113LUVEU-2  browns
Alps: Filco Zero Tenkeyless (fukka)  ||  ABS M1  ||  3x Dell AT101w  ||  Ancer KF-191  ||  6 Vivanco Compact
Misc: NMB RT6855T+  ||  NMB RT101 Space Invader  ||  Dell Quietkey  ||  Ge Fanuc Industrial Metal

Offline Zarigueya

Re: Anyone hear of "NMB The Right Touch!" ?
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 13:07:14 »
I own two NMB Right Touch Mechanical Keyboard, Models RT-8255... I love this KB so much, I bought two, so I'd have a backup.

However that was in the 2000s, and I need update drivers for Windows 10, and have no idea where to look for them. NMB as I'm sure you're aware, no longer makes keyboards, of all things, considering how much people who've used this keyboard feel they cannot live without it.

I don't need two of these, but I do need a driver or other hints on how to install under Win10.... Any ideas?

I'm doubtful that you will find this, as I see you have not posted in a number of years...

Best wishes,
Diane Reynolds
Austin, TX

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Anyone hear of "NMB The Right Touch!" ?
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 13:30:08 »
I have really never needed Windows "drivers" for keyboards, presumably you are using a PS/2-to-USB (or AT-to-PS/2-to-USB) adapter.
I would look at that as the most likely source of the problem.
“This isn’t the same Trump that got elected in 2016, he’s worse.”
“Something snapped in this guy — for real — when he lost in 2020,” Biden said, suggesting the former president was “unhinged” and was the driving force behind a mob of his supporters overrunning the US Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021."
“He can’t accept the fact that he lost, it’s literally driving him crazy,” Biden said.
He added that the former president “wants to terminate the Constitution” and “says if he loses there will be a bloodbath in America.”
“What kind of man is this?”  Biden asked. — June 3, 2024