Author Topic: Is Google Trying to Kill the CAPS LOCK KEY?  (Read 7316 times)

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

Is Google Trying to Kill the CAPS LOCK KEY?
« on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 08:10:04 »
Yesterday's Chrome OS Notebook Cr-48 reveal showed that Google had different plans for where the caps lock key normally resides. INSTEAD OF DOING THIS SORT OF THING, Google has mapped to a search key.

That's fine by us, considering the caps lock key these days is mostly useless aside from those who like to troll the comments section. (In fact, I've remapped my caps lock key to backspace.)

Amusingly, Google joked, "We expect this will improve the quality of comments across the web."

For those who feel that they must have that caps lock key back, Google notes that those with the Cr-48 notebook can click on the wrench icon, go into System section inside settings and change the Modifier Key from Search back to Caps Lock.

Source:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/chrome-os-laptop-search-caps-lock-cr-48,11766.html

Hm replacing caps lock for search key ..... search as in google search ??? This sort of reminds me how microsoft manage to put their logo on the keyboard ! nice strategy :D
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]

Offline McLaren

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 09:21:21 »
They're getting rid of the function keys, too:

There are no function keys, there’s an integrated power button (ala the new MacBook Airs) and there’s no caps lock key. In its stead you get a search button similar to what you’ll find on Logitech’s Google TV keyboard. You also get a row of dedicated feature keys for things like increasing/decreasing brightness, volume, etc...

Source:  AnandTech

Offline panda-R

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 09:42:05 »
as much as I enjoy writing hate mail, my caps lock key is pretty much used to watch the pretty led turn on and off. I would not miss this key much.
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline steeef

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 11:24:42 »
Yeah, waste of space. Mine's currently mapped to Backspace. I used Ripter's AutoHotkey setup to map Win+Shift to Caps Lock, but I honestly can't remember the last time I've used it.
Cherry MX Blue: Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless. Cherry MX Black: TG3 KBA-BLTD-5RBUVS (Police Cruiser keyboard). Cherry MX Clear: KBC Poker (modded with Ergo Clears) Cherry MX Brown: Goldtouch GTC-077 USB numpad. Buckling Spring: IBM Model M 1391401 (1989-01-03 and 1991-11-21).

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 11:57:48 »
They're the only ones with knives long enough to do the job...
You can call me... Keyboard Otaku... or not quite...

Offline Losttsol

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 12:03:47 »
oh no!  google stole my caps lock!  how am i supposed to do uppercase now?
Keyboards: Deck Legend ToXiC, Dell AT-101W
Mice:
Mionix Naos 3200, Logitech MX620, Razer Diamondback 3G

Offline Viett

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 12:10:54 »
Once again, people are forgetting the true use of the Caps Lock key:

True touch typists implement both shifts. This is so that words like Alaska, Quebec, and Peru can be typed using the correct finger (pinky). It's also more comfortable for non-pinky involved keys, for example, Wyoming is easier to type with the right shift. Once true touch typists get used to using both shifts, it becomes significantly easier to use the Caps Lock for any and all abbreviations, even two letter ones, like US, or TV.

I use Caps Lock very frequently for every day typing. I would hate to see it go, and it's the reason I use a modified version of Colemak which keeps the Caps Lock in its original position. Perhaps it can be moved somewhere else, but it has to be its own key and has to be in a location that is reasonable to reach.

It just bothers me considerably when people say the Caps Lock is a "waste of space" or is "only spamming." It's perfectly okay not to use it at all, but it's there for a reason.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 December 2010, 12:13:00 by Viett »
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline shmithers

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 12:11:59 »
Just curious to see who all signed up for the laptop. I got an email the day of the launch saying "You’re eligible to receive a free Chrome notebook", so I went and signed up right away.

EDIT: Whoops I must have clicked reply again instead of edit, you can delete this post!
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 December 2010, 12:14:43 by shmithers »

Offline shmithers

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 12:13:58 »
Just curious to see who all signed up for the laptop. I got an email the day of the launch saying "You’re eligible to receive a free Chrome notebook", so I went and signed up right away.

Oh, and I am glad to see the demise of the caps lock. Only thing I used it for (before I remapped it to another control key) is turning it back off after I accidentally turned it on.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 13:25:33 »
Viett, you can say that all you want. But the fact is, it's in a prime location, and does not deserve to be there. It should really be with the other rather obselete keys, up above the navigation block.

Swapping it with control, as it was originally on IBM keyboards, is actually perfect. Puts it in a location that is reasonable easy for people like you to reach, but it puts a useful key to the left of A for the rest of us.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline dish

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 13:37:00 »
Quote from: Viett;260201
True touch typists implement both shifts. This is so that words like Alaska, Quebec, and Peru can be typed using the correct finger (pinky). It's also more comfortable for non-pinky involved keys, for example, Wyoming is easier to type with the right shift. Once true touch typists get used to using both shifts, it becomes significantly easier to use the Caps Lock for any and all abbreviations, even two letter ones, like US, or TV.

I use Caps Lock very frequently for every day typing. I would hate to see it go, and it's the reason I use a modified version of Colemak which keeps the Caps Lock in its original position. Perhaps it can be moved somewhere else, but it has to be its own key and has to be in a location that is reasonable to reach.

It just bothers me considerably when people say the Caps Lock is a "waste of space" or is "only spamming." It's perfectly okay not to use it at all, but it's there for a reason.
What do you use it for?

Offline Viett

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 14:24:33 »
Quote from: theferenc;260222
Viett, you can say that all you want. But the fact is, it's in a prime location, and does not deserve to be there. It should really be with the other rather obselete keys, up above the navigation block.

Swapping it with control, as it was originally on IBM keyboards, is actually perfect. Puts it in a location that is reasonable easy for people like you to reach, but it puts a useful key to the left of A for the rest of us.

I agree it can be moved. Not above the navigation block, though. It needs to be somewhere where it is reasonable to press during natural typing, which is the only real time you're ever going to use it.

Quote from: dish;260225
What do you use it for?

I use it for just about any abbreviation. Even two letter ones, as I mentioned in my earlier post. Take "U.S.A." for instance. True touch typing would have you using both shifts, letting go of the shifts to press the period. Although this case is a bit extreme, it demonstrates why the Caps is, in certain cases, necessary and efficient.

It may seem like abbreviations are not that commonly used, but they are perhaps more common than the use of the  '/', '[', ']' and '\' keys, all of which have their own key in the main alphanumeric cluster of the keyboard.

In summary:

For me, Caps Lock is an essential part of natural typing. I don't think "I need to hit Caps Lock to type the following..." I hit it instantly upon requiring more than one capital letter in a row, much like I would any other alphanumeric key that's needed.
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 15:42:07 »
According to this MW poll, most of us seem not to mind.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 15:49:09 »
Quote from: Viett;260201
Once again, people are forgetting the true use of the Caps Lock key:

True touch typists implement both shifts.

Sorry to be argumentative and nitpicky, but touch typing means typing without looking at the keyboard and relying mostly on muscle memory. The "proper" home-row method of touch typing will generally call for use of both shifts, but you can touch type using only one of the shifts.

I generally touch type with only left shift. Interestingly, that's been causing me to use caps lock more often as it's uncomfortable to hold down shift while typing a complete sentence or something. I use all caps for headers on my school notes.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 15:56:08 »
I was so happy when I first saw this article, I thought they were properly replacing it with Control.  Nope.  Another nonsense key.

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 15:59:37 »
I'll be buying one of these... if only to force my other half into using the shift key for what it was intended, and not "Caps Lock, Letter, caps Lock"... God, that get's on my nerves!
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project's :- 122 key 1389620 Wireless ESP32 :
'Pooter :- Xeon E5-2680v4 : Machinist MR9A : 2x16GB DDR4 : Radeon RX6600 : NVME & Spinning rust :

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 17:30:56 »
Quote from: ripster;260279
I posted the Logitech GoogleTV keyboard here.
I'm so disappointed! Looking at your first photo, I thought for a moment it was like the Optimus Maximus. That would have been something useful. Although the Optimus Popularis - which seems to be using an inexpensive principle that Microsoft also seems to be using - is a better model, as that could be affordable. The only problem is heat from the backlight of the LCD panel not having anywhere to go if you put a keyboard over an LCD.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 18:10:49 »
Google won't be killing anything on my keyboards...

Microsoft's been trying to kill Windows 3.1 for 15 years and I still use it.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Losttsol

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 18:20:52 »
"Google killed the Caps Lock Key" set to the tune of "Video Killed the Radio Star".

Feel free to use this idea in your viral video.
Keyboards: Deck Legend ToXiC, Dell AT-101W
Mice:
Mionix Naos 3200, Logitech MX620, Razer Diamondback 3G

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 18:54:29 »
And I am a classic touch typist, even if I sometimes get lazy and make the mistake of using the wrong shift key on occasion - so I know that Caps Lock makes abundant sense when one is typing a series of capital letters which include letters typed with both hands, not just one.

However, having to remove one's hands from the home row for something as special as that might not seem too onerous to some, especially if they have to use the CTRL key or the ALT key a lot. Also, unless one is using wrong-hand letters that are close to the little finger, just using the shift key sometimes is faster than going in and out of CAPS LOCK.

But Caps Lock is handy for things like typing in FORTRAN programs, at least for old compilers that don't recognize lowercase letters as meaningful characters. I suppose one would need a time machine, though, to be using computers that old... outside of museums. In most cases. So that does make it something tied to an obsolete legacy.

Still, if it could do things that were more useful - like if instead of getting lowercase letters when shifting the letter keys under Caps Lock, why not have the keyboard generate a pile of additional mathematical symbols?

Offline Vertigo

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 18:58:10 »
Quote from: Viett;260243
I use it for just about any abbreviation. Even two letter ones, as I mentioned in my earlier post. Take "U.S.A." for instance. True touch typing would have you using both shifts, letting go of the shifts to press the period. Although this case is a bit extreme, it demonstrates why the Caps is, in certain cases, necessary and efficient.

For me, Caps Lock is an essential part of natural typing.

Hi guys,

Part time lurker, first time poster.  Just wanted to add my two cents and back up Viett's stance here: the Caps Lock key has been an integral part of my touch typing for 20 years now, and it'd be a little awkward to type without it.   Abbreviations--however rare--are almost universally faster and easier to type when using it, and for those of us who transcribe text between media (or simply pursue the upper limits of our W.P.M.), it's invaluable.

To wit, type "simply pursue the upper limits of our W.P.M." using the Caps Lock key, and then again just toggling your Shift keys.

Offline dish

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 19:07:08 »
Latex is for math.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 20:51:05 »
He's talking about LaTEX, a preprocessor for TEX, a text formatting system created by Donald Knuth. There are interesting documents available on the Web with articles from TUGboat... oh, dear, if you searched on that, you would probably get sites about boats, wouldn't you?

TUG stands for "TEX User's Group", though, so disambiguation is possible. Searching on "mathematical typesetting" might help too.

On the other hand, if you Google for Daniel Rhatigan's paper on the Monotype system for 4-line mathematics, the server won't let you download the .pdf directly from its own URL. So I will give you the link myself. (This, of course, isn't connected with TEX, but with what people used before they had TEX.)

There, now you can begin your exciting adventure in learning about an obsolete technology...

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 20:58:43 »
I specifically look for non-stepped Caps Lock keys in keyboards so I can reprogram them to Ctrl when I use Unix.  Now that I'm pushing the big 4-0, my pinky is starting to suffer from Emacs syndrome.

I still like using it that way.  At work they don't let me remap keys so I use my old Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite and Lite 2 axes to keep the Ctrl key where it's supposed to be, and to keep my pinky unhappy.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 11:28:20 »
Holy CRAP guys, I just got one of the Google laptops in the mail!!!  (well, 2 days ago, but only picked it up now because I didn't realize what it was)
I ACTUALLY GOT SELECTED FOR THE TEST PROGRAM

I will unbox it and put pictures and stuff here

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 11:51:28 »
As good an idea as this sounds on paper, there are a worrying number of people out there who don't know how shift keys work, and think that Caps Lock is the way you are meant to type upper case letters.

Such are the risks of fixing stupid designs - people grow attached to them.

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 12:29:39 »
The only problem I have with this is that it's not a great spot for a "Search" key. The best things to put in such a prime location would be Control, Shift or Backspace. Control would be the least disruptive I guess; then you could put Search in the lower left corner.
You can call me... Keyboard Otaku... or not quite...

Offline RoboKrikit

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 12:59:22 »
I would rather they make that the "Shortcut" key (call it what you want), and assign global shortcuts to it.  Like the Windows key but in a less ****ty location.

I imagine their thought process on the location of the Search key went something like, "Hey, we need to find a place for the Search key, what's a useless key that people won't hit on accident?  People have probably trained themselves to avoid Caps Lock, let's use that."
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 13:16:58 »
I'd rather have caps lock replaced with something universally useful like the 'control' key, like on the old 83-key keyboards.
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

================================================
HAPPY HUNTING
================================================

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 14:01:16 »
I guess I should have posted this here as soon as I found out:

FEAR NO MORE

Offline Lanx

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 16:25:05 »
i think i'll hard wire my v2 mod capslock to ctrl, i do use ctrl+a a few times and i didn't even know it till i just looked