Author Topic: Mac keyboards '<' button help  (Read 3649 times)

Offline froogle

Mac keyboards '<' button help
« on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 06:47:11 »
So guys, I have this amazing keyboard;
Yep, the Sigma AFK-7100MC, white alps except the enter key which uses a black alps switch. Not sure if they are complicated, simplified or whatever lol...pretty sure they are the ones that are the best (ie. complicated right?) judging from other peoples' sound clips, activation points etc.

I finally got my ADB adapter and so far I am in love with the keyboard! The first things I noticed was that I am now typing much faster...it may be placebo  but due to the registering of the key press now being much higher, rather than a rubber dome it feels GREAT and it feels much faster.

So, what is that keyboard in the top left, next to the oddly positioned esc key? :confused:
It is covered by the same material as the keyboard itself and has a < direction button on it.

I'm too scared to press it in case it does something...I've seen it on some other Mac keyboards as well...

So, what is it guys? Care to lend a n00b a hand?]

PS. I will test NKR and stuff later on....for now I've got some serious typing to do. :cool:

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 07:01:14 »
I believe that works as a power button if you're connected to a Mac. I would connect it to a Mac (if you haven't already) and try it to turn on and shut down the computer.

Offline froogle

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 07:05:13 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;261244
I believe that works as a power button if you're connected to a Mac. I would connect it to a Mac (if you haven't already) and try it to turn on and shut down the computer.

Problem is, I don't have Mac..

Is it safe for me to press it on a PC or will it do something bad?

Offline theferenc

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 07:06:03 »
But I think those power buttons only worked via the ADB port. With an adapter over, I assume, USB, it is unlikely to actually do anything, as the adapter likely doesn't deal with that signal.

But I could be wrong. Worst case, on a mac, it pops up the shutdown dialog.

Press away!

Edit to respond: on a windows machine, it should either do nothing, or initiate a shut down process. It might even bring up the shutdown dialog. But it almost definitely won't hurt anything. Just save your work, and press it!
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 07:17:32 »
Agreed with the above...

Offline froogle

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 08:35:31 »
:jaw:

Sorry about the drama y'all lol
Nothing happened on my PC xD

I think that I may be able to remap the key using software but I'm happy with this keyboard so far! It's like typing whilst simultaneously getting high on steroids...

Man I feel that I can type the randomist BS right now just for the sake of typing lol....

Offline nathanscribe

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 10:11:26 »
For info, using the power key on an ADB keyboard connected to a 2005 G4 via a Belkin ADB-USB adapter does activate shutdown.

I haven't yet tried it on my desktops.
Conquering the world with BASIC since 1982

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 11:44:45 »
I love the feel of the Apple Keyboard M0116 (even more than the AEK M0115). I used the Griffin iMate to connect it to my Amiga 3000 - which is what I'm using to post this. I've found I can remap every key except that power key. I think the iMate just ignores it.

Because the M0116 has no F-keys, I remap the numeric keypad numbers to F1-F10.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 December 2010, 14:58:26 by mr_a500 »

Offline froogle

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 05:28:17 »
Thanks for the info guys!

Having used this keyboard for some time I have some more minor gripes:

1) There are no DELETE, INSERT, HOME, END, PG DOWN, PG UP keys
2) The ESC key is oddly positioned...same goes to all of the function keys
3) I'm used to having a nice long SHIFT key for my left pinky...it's a tad short

Minor likes

1) Despite my inital thoughts, I actually like the heavy black alps switch on the enter key...esp. when on IM and chat.
2) The 'too light' space bar is actually perfect.
3) Can't get used to the CAPS and CONTROL keys switched over

How do you guys cope without having a DELETE key?

Offline theferenc

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 07:29:16 »
Actually, the ESC key is exactly where it should be, as are caps lock and control. In my mind, anyway.

Now, the arrows, the `, and the \ keys? Those are wack.

Nice looking board, though.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

Offline froogle

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 15:03:50 »
Quote from: theferenc;261667
Actually, the ESC key is exactly where it should be, as are caps lock and control. In my mind, anyway.

Now, the arrows, the `, and the \ keys? Those are wack.

Nice looking board, though.

Well I prefer the ESC key at the very top left...
I am still a student and so I have to use keyboards at school...and it just so happens that on these computers you can't execute any .exe files which means that I can't boot up an application to remap keys at school.

So, I can't really keep switching right? I have now remapped them so tis all fine.

I don't really use the arrow keys so I am fine.
The same applies to the backslash key...I never use it...but now I'm wondering where the hell the key is.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 15:05:54 »
It's down by the space bar (to the right).

And yeah, I hear you on the constant keyboard switching. This is why I own a HHKB, so that I can always just hook my own keyboard up.

Public keyboards are just NASTY.