Author Topic: Sci-Fi TV & Movies  (Read 5341 times)

Offline WhiteRice

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 19:30:23 »
When I'm at home I always like to watch movies while I'm working. Sci-Fiction is by far favorite genre.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I feel like I've seen everything out there, but I'm sure there's loads of stuff I haven't.

So list up some of your favorites!

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 19:34:15 »
I love the old shows they used to have on the Sci Fi channel: Tales from the Darkside, Monsters, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, etc. Used to love staying home sick from school and watching them all day. Can't get into any of their new shows though.

As for movies, most of the Alien/s films are good. I'm curious to see the new Predators movie too...the first two are good.

Offline WhiteRice

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 19:43:48 »
The Twilight Zone was great! It's funny that you mention Aliens/Predators; I'm watch Predators right now.

Offline RoboKrikit

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 23:03:38 »
I named my kid after a character in The Fifth Element. :)

Firefly (series + movie) hasn't been mentioned yet, but it's excellent.

I thought eXistenZ was pretty cool.  It's sorta B-movie-ish if you're down for that.
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 23:08:25 »
Quote from: RoboKrikit;262035

I named my daughter after backup software and a scripting language (Amanda Perl).  I gave my two boys their middle names as well (Daemon and Python).

Offline RoboKrikit

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 23:21:20 »
Haha, nice.  I'm both a Perl and Python guy myself.
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline WhiteRice

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 23:37:37 »
Quote from: ripster;261936
OK, have you seen  Pi?

Or Sunshine or The City Of Lost Children or Primer or Unbreakable?

Unbreakable was great. I will have to check out the others.

Firefly (series + movie) hasn't been mentioned yet, but it's excellent.

I thought eXistenZ was pretty cool.  It's sorta B-movie-ish if you're down for that.

I watched a few episodes of firefly. I love everything about it. Makes me sad that they had such a short run.

B-movies can be great :)

Quote from: iMav;262040
I named my daughter after backup software and a scripting language (Amanda Perl).  I gave my two boys their middle names as well (Daemon and Python).

Touche sir,

Offline Lanx

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 23:52:12 »
I've been seriously thinking about naming my spawn after my old everquest2 avatar names.
middle names of course, i don't want my kids to have a f-d-up childhood cuz i named them Lanx.
on topic, you have seen hulu right? they have a lot of sci fi
http://www.hulu.com/channels/Science-Fiction#has_captions=0&has_free=0&has_hd=0&has_huluplus=0&kind=shows&page=1&sort=popular_all_time&subdub_type=all
pretty much every eps every season. I don't know what to recommend to you, for a long time i've hated sci fi. but quickly looking at the hulu link.
i like dead like me, i had it running in the background while i was working.
BSG the new one was good, ending sucked.

my favorite series only lasted one season, space above and beyond.
http://www.amazon.com/Space-Above-Beyond-Morgan-Weisser/dp/B000BCCAEQ

Offline AndrewZorn

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 00:29:13 »
Quote from: ripster;261936
OK, have you seen  Pi?

Or Sunshine or The City Of Lost Children or Primer or Unbreakable?

Pi is great, Sunshine was okay, Primer became one of my new favorite movies, Unbreakable is a superhero movie.

But this might be a trick.

I bought Firefly on Bluray but don't know if I'll like it.

Offline WhiteRice

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 21:39:39 »
I watched Sunshine today. I enjoyed it. I will have to check out Pi next.

I downloaded the ancient aliens series of the history channel. Silly, but kinda interesting to have running the background.

Offline Lanx

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 00:40:43 »
Quote from: ripster;265989

Directed by Danny Boyle of Millionaire Fame!

I'd totally support this if it was mandatory in the US, to force immates to learn bollywood dances and then broadcast it on a prison youtube. I mean whatever happened to chain gangs? instead we give them gym equipment and a library so that they have 8 hours a day to pump iron and learn new stuff! do we really need faster, stronger and learned crooks?

Offline godly_music

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 06:45:04 »
Some of my favourite unknown Sci-Fi movies are Outland (Sean Connery is on a space station), Zardoz (Sean Connery wears short shots) and Death Machine (Brad Dourif is crazy).

woody

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 09:02:00 »
Recently I got a kilt, which I started wearing home. Feels nice, my balls are very appreciative now.

woody

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 09:11:40 »
The balls will fit, but where do I put my buttocks?

Offline keyboardlover

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 09:12:56 »
Sunshine looks kickass. Will watch.

Offline keyboardlover

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 09:22:08 »
Your son looks a little like Macaulay Culkin. (In a good way).

Edit: hey, you removed the pic!

Offline godly_music

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 10:03:13 »
Watch it!

Offline Voixdelion

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 18:09:56 »
I know not all strictly "Sci-fi" , but

back to the original question - someone said the word "spawn" and made me think of the old HBO animated McFarlane series which was waaay cooler than than the PG-13 bull**** movie they made- you could try that, but it may be difficult to find.  Along that animated vein too are some others: Aeon FLux (and the movie weren't too bad for that one, either), The Maxx

Since I don't know what you've seen, I'll just tell you what I liked, since I tend to do the same thing - that genre is great company while doing other things because its fun and fluff-y and sometimes smart too.: I like "Sanctuary" quite a bit, and because of that Netflix has suggested I check out "Castle" as well, but its not streaming yet, so I have to do the DVD to see if I like it.  Among my likes for series are "Farscape" which I liked much better than "Lexx" (though it will work for killing time and tons of innuendo and just plain oddness if you are in the mood for that. I found "Lexx"by watching TVUPlayer channel CBNS on the net  - they run some interesting stuff from time to time too).  "Angel "and "Buffy", of course, for more Joss Whedon fun there's the brief but entertaining "Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog".

"Supernatural" has some seasons I'm catching up on now as I stopped having the time to watch "Smallville" despite Rosenbaum's awesome Lex Luthor portrayal.  "Andromeda" was alright-ish if you can get over Sorbo in a different space.  Gonna check out "Eureka" "Fringe" "Primeval" and "Warehouse 13" soon too, but don't know what to expect there.  "True Blood" is a guilty pleasure of mine that was absurdly addicting from the first minute for me, too. And the standard Treks if you haven't seen em - I never got into DS9 myself, but I liked Voyager and LOVED TNG enough that I'm thinking it may be time to revisit and give DS9 another shot.  Stargate is ok, but not as engrossing for me as some of the others I've mentioned, and Quantum Leap is fun too.

Any new ideas in those or have you already been there, done that?
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline Findecanor

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 18:40:28 »
Oh yeah.

I have already mentioned a few times that I am a big Star Wars fan, and that I collect replicas of iconic items from Star Wars and other Sci-fi movies. That is how I got here: I wanted to modify a keyboard so that it would look like it came from the Star Wars universe.

I have enjoyed Smallville, Babylon 5, Stargate SG1, Star Trek TOS and TNG a lot, as well as the last few years' incarnations of Dr Who .. and not to mention: Red Dwarf.
I never really understood why some people love Serenity/Firefly -- it was OK'ish I guess.
Lexx was weird, but quite entertaining in a way. It is refreshing to see something that breaks the mold. I could not appreciate Andromeda or Eureka that much and I do not like Primeval at all. I have not had the time to see Fringe that much, but the little that I did see I did like. I would like to see Warehouse 13 because I have heard so much about it, and I will be sure to do so if it ever gets on TV over here.

I also enjoy some science fiction in book form, from time to time. Both pulp novels set in space and hard sci-fi.
🍉

Offline Voixdelion

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 20:47:43 »
I just watched Heavy Metal for the first time today, too.  (A little late to the party on that one, I guess, but I probably appreciated more now than I would have back in the 80's anyway...)
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline Twitchy

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 23 December 2010, 01:47:06 »
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Gattaca
  • Battle Beyond the Stars
Stuff
Filco Majestouch FKBN88M/UKB2
Topre Realforce 91UBY
Razer Imperator + Razer Vespula[/COLOR]

Offline keyboardlover

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 December 2010, 08:58:16 »
Watched 'Sunshine' last night. Really good - highly recommended.

Thanks for the tippy, Rippy!

Offline Shawn Stanford

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 28 December 2010, 09:31:38 »
Quote from: godly_music;266087
Outland (Sean Connery is on a space station),

"High Noon" in space. Both are good films.

Quote from: AndrewZorn;262074
Primer became one of my new favorite movies

A stunning film. It needs to be watched and studied, though; not run while doing other things.

My younger daughter's name is 'Trinity'.

Ghibli films aren't generally classified as 'science fiction', but they have sci-fi and fantasy elements and are always entertaining:
  • Howl's Moving Castle
  • Nausicaa, Valley of the Wind
  • Spirited Away
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Laputa, Castle in the Sky
(for lighter fare by Ghibli: Ponyo, My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service.

As long as I'm talking anime: I can't recommend Ghost in the Shell or Akira highly enough.

Pretty much any Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode is worth a look, but a few truly stand out for me: The Final Sacrifice, Space Mutiny, I Was A Teenage Werewolf, Arizona Werewolf, and their feature film This Island Earth.
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline nathanscribe

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 28 December 2010, 17:27:07 »
Glad Zardoz gets a mention, I've loved that film for years and nobody else seems to have heard of it.  Pi and Primer are good recent ones; another low-budget I enjoyed was Cube.

Blade Runner is too obvious maybe, as is Star Wars (IV-VI only, of course...) and Alien/Aliens, Terminator, 2001...

Older sci-fi I've got includes Logan's Run (film, not series) and Silent Running.  Both good.  War Games is possibly my most watched film but I'm not sure it fits the sci-fi category... more of a lo-fi computer thriller I suppose.

I got the original series of Battlestar Galactica on DVD for Christmas... it's years since I saw it - watched the 2-hr pilot last night and it's held up pretty well - great fx and a nicely epic feel.  Easy to forget it's telly.

I couldn't possibly not include Dr Who here either... been watching the entire run right from the start (Hartnell, '63) and am currently up to somewhere near the end of Pertwee (mid '73 ish).  Genius.
Conquering the world with BASIC since 1982

Offline AndrewZorn

Sci-Fi TV & Movies
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 00:08:44 »
I just saw Moon, pretty good.