Author Topic: replacement key caps for steelseries 6gv2  (Read 12765 times)

Offline eurekastreet

replacement key caps for steelseries 6gv2
« on: Sat, 29 January 2011, 15:49:07 »
Hi,

I just invested in a steelseries 6gv2 - my first mechanical keyboard in 20 years or so (last one was the keyboard from my IBM PS/1, since then I been abused by marketing expert who sold me one 5$ membrane keyboard after the other and god knows, reading this forum during two days convinced me I had to try a mech keyboard again and now I can't wait to have it shipped to my place - 2-3 days of waiting if I'm lucky).

I was wondering, in case I wanna mod the keycaps later on (or just replace broken/deficient caps), either with the original caps, or with blank caps or colored caps......does anyone know where can I order those online ? Do I have to use original steelseries keycaps or can I use other (generic) brands too ?

Thanks for the help.

D

Offline RiGS

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 January 2011, 15:55:37 »
Welcome on the board.
You can replace them with das/filco/kbc keycaps. KBC is going to offer a special set for them. Currently the main problem are with the shorter right shift and the BigAss enter key.
Btw nice pick.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline eurekastreet

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 January 2011, 16:10:20 »
Thanks a lot. Can I order those through several websites or only through the OEM websites ? What's the cheapest solution(s) ? I'm located in Europe if that's of any help....
I guess this might have been discussed earlier on this site but I'm new and kind of lost in the zillion of different threads...

On a side note, if I'm happy about the keyboard, I might invest in some others later on, any model with brown keys and unicomp seemed appealing, only problem was that the shipping cost to Europe were a bit over the top for now...I hope this gets better in the future.
But this site sure "creeps on you"

Cheers,
D

Offline RiGS

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 January 2011, 16:25:30 »
I'm also located in Europe. This and the Razer are the only available choices in Hungary.
I picked the SS. I liked the feel of it over the Razer one and seemed better in quality.
I bought a mechanical keyboard only because the Nkro feature. I totally fall in love when I touched it at the computer store.
Check for custom kbc keycaps or double shots in the group by section.

Offline Jeru

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 February 2011, 14:04:27 »
I'm sorry to bump this old thread, but I thought it'd be better to bump this then to start a new one.
I just got my first mechanical keyboard also a 6Gv2, and I'd also like some blank keys, but I'm not really familiar yet with which sets I can actually buy.
So could you please give some links? I'd love to see some matte ones.

Offline RiGS

Offline Jeru

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 February 2011, 16:43:54 »
Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies!
I must say I really really love my new keyboard, every time I just feel excited to be typing on it again! Too bad here in the Netherlands there aren't that many people interested in mechanical keyboards and there aren't a lot available at decent prices.

Anyway ripster, what you're saying is that most of the key caps are alike do they fit on most cherry mx keyboards? ( I know about the right shift and enter button which are quite different on this keyboard from most others)
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 February 2011, 17:03:28 by Jeru »

Offline Jeru

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 February 2011, 17:10:23 »
By the way on the KBC website I only see 2 sets of blank keys from Filco, maybe I'm missing something or is that all they have?

Offline molto

• http://www.friv.gs
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 08:45:31 »
Windows 7 Steelseries Start Orb http://fav.me/d3colcc , are there any other keyboard cap orbs ?
y8 | Miniclip | y3 | friv | ben10 | y8 | kizi | y8 | y3  | y8 | pogo

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 08:59:33 »
Here
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9963588330

now you just need an taobao agent or maybe qtan5370 of these forums can help you get them