Author Topic: Home office needs a new chair...  (Read 31001 times)

Offline frankfrank

Home office needs a new chair...
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 03:42:53 »
Nice.

Offline ChaoticKinesis

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 11:11:47 »
It's funny how subjective this is. I have tried out most of the chairs mentioned in this thread and in general find the Herman Miller ones to be the most comfortable. My absolute favorite, which I have at home, is the Mirra. I think its lumbar support is simply amazing. In comparison, the Aeron is pretty good but I just didn't like it as much. The Sayl is also very comfortable and I liked the top-of-the-line Embody the least.

My next favorite is the Steelcase Think, which I like a lot. My opinion on the Leap is it's just okay, but I don't love it. I have a Leap at work and find myself adjusting it all the time because I'm never quite comfortable.

On the other hand, I found the Humanscale chairs, Freedom and Liberty, uncomfortable to the point where I didn't want to even try it for more than a few seconds. They recline in a very specific way, which I am really not a fan of.

The Knoll Life is hands-down the most uncomfortable chair I've ever sat in, and by that I mean I would rather sit in a cheap folding chair from the discount store. The Leap at work replaced the Life because it was literally the first chair that gave me excruciating back pain. Our office is full of them and many people find them uncomfortable. To quote a co-worker, the lumbar support feels like someone digging an elbow into your back. Removing the lumbar, I find the shape of its mesh back to promote very bad posture that would also lead to discomfort and pain.

Offline PeddleSpam

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 15:57:37 »
Wish I could afford a Leap. Can anyone recommend a sub £100 chair? (~159 USD) I'm a software engineering student so spend most of my day at my computer. Figure it's time to invest in a comfortable chair.

Offline Aonsaithya

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 19 April 2012, 09:19:30 »
Quote from: PeddleSpam;574853
Wish I could afford a Leap. Can anyone recommend a sub £100 chair? (~159 USD) I'm a software engineering student so spend most of my day at my computer. Figure it's time to invest in a comfortable chair.

If I were you, I'd look into refurbished office chairs. Around here, there are many shops that take old office chairs and give them a thorough service & new upholstery. Prices are roughly half of what the chairs would cost new. I'm currently looking for a new chair as well, with a budget of roughly 400EUR. Most likely choice is going to be some of the many available refurbished ones that originally went for 800EUR or more.

I went to test-sit a Merryfair WAU btw. It was really weird. Somehow sitting on it felt incredibly light, and the "falling down" front lip wasn't pressing against the back of my legs at all. On the other hand, it was a really tight fit in the sense that you couldn't really move much when the chair was properly adjusted.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 48594[/ATTACH]

Perhaps I could find a spare-part car seat. The one in mine is rather comfy...
Topre Realforce 105UFB & Kensington Expert Mouse

fossala

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 19 April 2012, 09:23:00 »
Quote from: PeddleSpam;574853

Check on ebay for a used one. They have some on there for around 65gbp