Author Topic: Free router from FCC, if you can stomach the conditions...  (Read 5089 times)

Offline TexasFlood

Free router from FCC, if you can stomach the conditions...
« on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 22:17:19 »
Oops, accidentally typed modem into the thread title and couldn't figure out how to fix it so just to be clear - it's an offer for a free router, not a modem!

I signed up, got an email the next day offering me a Netgear WNR3500L wireless router.  After reading the conditions, I decided to pass for now, just don't see enough value in my case but maybe it works for someone...

Sign up for FCC broadband test - they send you a free netgear wifi router to test your broadband speed at home - http://www.testmyisp.com/index.php

"Once your new router is up and running, you will be able to view all of your performance data via a secure online reporting system. Participation in the testing is expected to add approximately 20-60 GB to your overall monthly bandwidth usage."

Here is the text from the conditions page:

Requirements:
The requirements we ask our volunteers to meet are as follows:
You have a fixed line broadband Internet connection to your residence.
You use a standalone device to connect to your broadband service - i.e not a USB ADSL modem.
You have a stable broadband connection (i.e. it doesn't disconnect frequently). Note that this is just referring to the connection - not the speed.
You are not a heavy downloader. Our tests can only run when your line below a certain traffic threshold, therefore we would not be able to run any tests if your line is in constant use.
You have a spare power socket near your existing router (or wherever you plan to connect the unit. Keep in mind that a network cable must run between the unit and your router though! We supply a 1m cable).
You need to be on one of the ISPs that we're measuring.
You are not an employee or a family member of an employee of one of the ISPs being monitored.
In addition to the above we ask that volunteers agree to a set of terms and conditions that are broadly summarised by the points below:
I agree:

* Not to unplug the unit or your ISP's router unless I'm away for an extended period of time.
    * Not attempt to reverse engineer or alter the unit.
    * To notify Samknows if and when I choose to change ISPs.
    * To return the unit to Samknows should I no longer wish to be involved (Samknows to pay reasonable postage costs).
    * To connect the unit in the way described in the documentation.
    * To keep Samknows updated with valid contact details (i.e. email and postal address).

IMPORTANT - White Box installation requirements

Please pay close attention to the technical points below, as these may affect your eligibility to participate in the study:

1. You will be supplied a Netgear WNR3500L wireless router:
 A. If you do not have an existing router, then we will ask you to install the Netgear WNR3500L as you would with any other router.
 B. If you have a cable/DSL modem and an existing separate router we will ask you to replace it with the Netgear WNR3500L.
 C. If you cannot replace your existing router (due to it being an integrated DSL/cable modem and router, for example), then we will ask you to install the Netgear WNR3500L behind your existing router and reconnect all of your devices to the Netgear WNR3500L (both wired and wireless).
 D. AT&T U-Verse customers will be asked to connect the Netgear WNR3500L to their U-Verse gateway and do nothing further.
2. The study only seeks to measure fixed-line broadband services. Mobile broadband services are not covered here.

If you are unable to carry out installation according to the above requirements, please do not proceed. Please contact us at community@samknows.com in advance of completing this form if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 February 2011, 22:34:36 by TexasFlood »