Author Topic: Stick with razer black widow or get a filco?  (Read 7216 times)

Offline Spiner

Stick with razer black widow or get a filco?
« on: Sun, 06 March 2011, 14:38:22 »
Hey guys I'm new to this website and mechanical keyboards in general.  I got bit by the "mechanical keyboard bug" a few months ago.  I did some research, and ended up getting a razer blackwidow ultimate in the end - mostly because of availability issues.  It's an awesome keyboard compared to the old rubber dome types I've always used in the past.  I mainly play starcraft 2 and sometimes mess around on first person shooters.  So far the blackwidow has been a joy to type on and game with, and I don't really mind the the clicky noisiness that you get from cherry blue's.

But I have to admit I've been sort of drawn in to the allure of an authentic, Korean style mechanical keyboard.  Now that Filco's have become more available to the U.S market I've been debating whether or not I should go ahead and pick one up or just stick with my razer blackwidow.  If I were to get a filco, I would probably pick up a cherry brown tenkeyless to try out the browns, which I hear are the best for RTS gaming.  So to all the experts out there, do you think it's worth it to just go ahead and pick up a Filco, or would it not make much of a difference compared to the blackwidow?

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 March 2011, 14:51:35 »
I would go ahead and say the browns are quite different from blues. The tactile point is more vague (not as snappy) in browns and then there's the lack of sound from the switch it self. If you can afford, buy a keyboard with brown switches (doesn't have to be the Filco) and try them out for a while to see for yourself if you'd like them or not. It's impossible for someone else to tell you whether you'd like them or not, but I'd presume that if you like the blues on your BlackWidow, then you'd like the MX browns as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline pitashen

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 March 2011, 15:13:58 »
*In my own opinion*  brown is the safest bet for all purpose keyboard. you can game pretty well on any games with brown. It is particularly said to be well suited for RTS because you don't get fatigue from repeatedly hotkeying commands (compare to black) and is able to double and triple taps (or fast multiple taps) better than blue due to the trigger and reset point (go to wiki and look at their force plot).
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 March 2011, 15:22:13 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline pm_

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 March 2011, 15:38:20 »
Blues require more activation force, and feel bouncier than browns.  The activation/actuation on the browns is more subtle and smoother than the blues.  I like both switches a lot, but after using the browns for a week, and the blues for 2 weeks, I give the edge to the browns and will pre-order a Leopold from Elite Keyboards tomorrow.  

I would say that if I am physically tired and fatigued overall, the browns are a little easier to type on due to the lower activation force.  It's not that blue are comparably fatiguing per se, it's just that I get a bit lazier and seem to type a bit lighter, so some of my strokes barely activate the blues.  Still great switches though.

I may very well end up buying a keyboard with blues at some point as well though (my current browns and blues are borrowed).

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 March 2011, 17:20:14 »
I would get a Leopold
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline RiGS

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 March 2011, 17:25:38 »
I think if you like your BW then there is no reason for you to change it.
You should probably spend the money on something else...
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline KosherPieFiasco

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 March 2011, 18:27:26 »
You should get a Leopold when they go on sale tomorrow. I'll be getting the Leopold with MX Browns, which will be my first mechanical!
Waiting for a Tenkeyless Leopold with MX Browns!

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 March 2011, 21:20:44 »
Quote from: RiGS;306418
I think if you like your BW then there is no reason for you to change it.
You should probably spend the money on something else...

This is really the most reasonable answer.

You have a perfectly acceptable keyboard (that is quite good compared to most) and are happy with it. If you had specific activation point problems (i.e. double tapping) or noise problems (girlfriend sleeping) I'd probably recommend grabbing some Browns or a Topre depending on your problem.

As it is, I can't help but feel that the people encourage buying stuff for no good reason just to see others "round out collections" like they did and have someone to point to when their landlord asks why they were late with rent.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline clack

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 March 2011, 21:44:19 »
i have browns but i have no idea how brown switches are anymore authentic korean than blues tbh

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 00:04:20 »
Quote from: clack;306592
i have browns but i have no idea how brown switches are anymore authentic korean than blues tbh

I think the OP is referencing Razer vs Filco in regards to Korean-ness. Though you could argue he's actually looking for Japanese-ness.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

woody

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 06:09:33 »
Quote from: ripster;306581
I'm not sure what the allure of a Korean keyboard is.

Have you seen Consumer Reports Reliability reports on LG Dishwashers and Washing Machines?
Show Image

No? I generally ignore all consumer things Samsung, LG, etc.

Offline drsauced

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 14:33:15 »
I don't think it gets more authentic than a Zowie Celeritas.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823826001

Korean pro-gamer endorsement, Big Ass Enter key and MX Browns too.
Filco Ninja 104 Tactile w/Imsto PBT caps | Deck Legend Ice Linear | FC200RT Clear w/Danger Zone | Topre 87U 45g EK | '89 & '93 1391401 | Ping is Life

Offline BababooeyHTJ

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 15:48:23 »
This is how it starts. Run while you still have your money.

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 16:24:51 »
Geekhack is a community with a contagious dementia. Leave before we actually convince you to buy one of these things.

Or join the club and love your keyboard. No matter what you tell yourself, it will be the first, not the last.

Offline jedcred

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 22:23:29 »
I've actually got both a Filco tenkeyless with cherry blues and a Razer Blackwidow (long story, but I bought the BW as a backup while waiting for my Filco to get back to me).  I'm seriously considering sending the BW back.  The Filco, for me, has a much crisper feel, while the BW just feels mushy by comparison.

I keep getting caught in that weird place on the switch where I don't come back up far enough for the "click" to actuate, but the key press still registers.  This only seems to happen on the BW and not the Filco.  This could be an odd side-effect from typing on a Model M for quite some time, however.

Also, as has been said in reviews, the stabilizers on the space and shift keys are not as tight as on the Filco, and the keys themselves seem to be looser and wiggle more.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 March 2011, 22:32:29 by jedcred »
Keyboards:
Filco tenkeyless with Cherry Blues
IBM Model M \'93
Razer Blackwidow x 2 (because parts)
Goldtouch Adjustable
Logitech MX 5500

Offline Tony

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 22:53:02 »
I now own a Filco Majestic brown and love it. Since you already got a BWU with blue switches, a Filco with brown switches is the next try.

We geekhackers are happy to see you spend your precious money on some high-end craps. You will even thank us for that.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 March 2011, 23:00:25 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline bxt

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 05:08:52 »
I bought my first mechanical this year and I am already looking for my next purchase. The difference is, my first one was 6gv2 with cherry mx blacks, so it should be perfectly acceptable to try browns/blues right? You cant blame me.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2011, 05:14:21 by bxt »

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 05:52:56 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;307117
Geekhack is a community with a contagious dementia. Leave before we actually convince you to buy one of these things.

Or join the club and love your keyboard. No matter what you tell yourself, it will be the first, not the last.

Exactly! As I pointed out on a previous thread. We're not sick for trying many. But keeping more boards than what we can actually wear is a bit excessive. Or worst, having two identical boards, which is pure dementia or plain insecurity.

I just made a quick search and I'm surprised it didn't return anything. I'll actually start another thread: How many keyboards do you own.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)