Author Topic: What kind of person suits Cherry Red ?  (Read 11882 times)

Offline xcluded

What kind of person suits Cherry Red ?
« on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 07:34:56 »
Those using Blue/Black/Brown , do you see yourself venturing to the Red in the near future ?

:)

Offline RiGS

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 08:34:20 »
Welcome to geekhack!
I'm currently using black switches, but I definitely want to try reds as well.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 08:42:45 »
Well, yes I do. The MX black might be just a tad too heavy for me, but I do like the linear feel of the switch to some level, so that got me interested in reds.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Shuki

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 08:44:49 »
Personally I like the light feel of the cherry brown switch, however I think I would prefer a non-tactile switch more.

Offline neo

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 08:53:54 »
I am using browns and I think there is a very good chance I will like reds.

Offline phillip

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 09:31:52 »
As soon as the keyboard company/amazon gets the majestouch 2 with reds available to order, I will probably be buying one.

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 09:42:05 »
Quote from: ripster;306824
To answer the OP in one word.

Commies.

Or baby finger users. :D

For light switches I prefer the red/ghetto reds.

If I want that tactile feel then its ghetto clears all the way.
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline gilgam

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 10:02:55 »
As i tried chery black, in about 10 days i learnt to love them, i almost dn't bottom out any more and the feeling is maybe better than the Realforce one. It hurts me because i paid much more for Realforce than for my used g80-1800 cherry i really love ....
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech

Offline RiGS

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 10:38:54 »
I'm really afraid that I end up not liking my new Realforce. I have a very deep bond with my mx blacks.

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 10:44:26 »
Quote from: gilgam;306842
As i tried chery black, in about 10 days i learnt to love them, i almost dn't bottom out any more and the feeling is maybe better than the Realforce one. It hurts me because i paid much more for Realforce than for my used g80-1800 cherry i really love ....

What?? You just pissed off every single Topre lover. I sure as hell hope I enjoy my Realforce more than the mx blacks on my TG3.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 11:15:22 »
Right now I really really like my blues, I got one at work and home but have been pondering getting the reds because everyone keeps saying there hands are tired after using blacks  but I also wanna try a topre.  My head is now spinning, dunno what I should do.  Too many switches to try.  My wallet really dislikes me sicne I got my first mechanical
Topre - 86U   |   Filco - Tenkeyless Linear Red
Filco - Tenkeyless Blue       |   Filco - Fullsize Non NKRO Blue (Work)

Offline gilgam

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 11:22:21 »
Quote from: db_Iodine;306873
What?? You just pissed off every single Topre lover. I sure as hell hope I enjoy my Realforce more than the mx blacks on my TG3.

I know

Maybe it's because i use more my cherry black keyboard than the topre one , but talking about pleasure :
g80-1800 > HHKB (i love that one, the sound and the feeling) > Realforce 105 FR.

Moreover with cherry switches keyboard you can change keycaps, customize you keyboard much more easily, or at a lower price ...

Maybe i should switch keyboard work(cherry black's one) <-> Keyboard Home (realforce)

Maybe it's just the "Topre effect", what is expensive MUST BE better.

Placebo effect for sure ...
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech

Offline manfaux

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 11:25:46 »
Reds might be the perfect gaming Cherry MX last time I tried it, not too stiff like the Blacks, and the lack of tactility is ideal for the vast majority of gamer I'd say.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 12:37:15 »
I <3 my MX11800 w/ ghetto reds. Looking forward to getting the real thing.
F**king effortless typing. Like, zero fatigue. I love 'em.
keyboards!

Offline thebilgerat

What Kind of Person suits Cherry Red?
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 12:44:45 »
Midlife crisis men who can pay her what she's worth...

or...

Douchebag balding men in Sales who think that a convertible will get them college chicks.

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 13:01:30 »
Quote from: thebilgerat;306971
Midlife crisis men who can pay her what she's worth...

or...

Douchebag balding men in Sales who think that a convertible will get them college chicks.

Guess I better cancel my order on a Poker with reds.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 13:10:04 »
Quote from: manfaux;306910
Reds might be the perfect gaming Cherry MX last time I tried it, not too stiff like the Blacks, and the lack of tactility is ideal for the vast majority of gamer I'd say.

The usual assumption is that all gamers automatically like linear switches, but it's really a matter of personal preference. Personally, you'll have to pry the tactile feedback out of my cold dead... On second though, just take it. But I won't be happy about it!:spider:
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 13:14:18 »
I tried a keyboard with a single red switch. It was a rather boring experience.

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 13:14:36 »
Quote from: Mr. Perfect;306982
The usual assumption is that all gamers automatically like linear switches, but it's really a matter of personal preference. Personally, you'll have to pry the tactile feedback out of my cold dead... On second though, just take it. But I won't be happy about it!:spider:

When gaming, I usually just mash my keys to the bottom, so I don't think the tactile feedback is much of a bonus for me. However I do like the force of browns quite a lot, so the reds could be ideal (although the browns might be just fine as they are).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

woody

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 16:29:00 »
The usual assumption is that all gamers automatically like linear switches, but it's really a matter of personal preference.

Offline .XL

• http://www.paokfc.gr/
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 16:36:24 »
I know I'll be picking this when it's in stock! I'm quite looking forward to trying reds. I like the weight of browns as compared to clears but I'd like to try non-tactile mech switches.
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline crowstar

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 17:01:24 »
Meh, im using my buckling springs for gaming because i dont lime randomly hitting keys

Offline wanabe

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 17:10:05 »
Quote from: .XL;307129
I know I'll be picking this when it's in stock! I'm quite looking forward to trying reds. I like the weight of browns as compared to clears but I'd like to try non-tactile mech switches.

wuh?  just curious, howd you find that link? it doesn't even show up when you search for it

Offline Armando Penblade

• http://thegeekery.org
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 18:22:43 »
Filco Majestouch 104-US, Metallic Blue, with Chery MX Blues  //  Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, 104-US + Media Keys & Browser Controls  //  iRocks RF-6570 Cordless 104-US, 2.4GHz Wireless, White  //  SteelSeries 6Gv2 104-US, Black, with Cherry MX Blacks

Offline wanabe

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 18:30:43 »
sweet, didn't know about that

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 18:35:18 »
I don't type so that I can "feel" the keys. My approach is more utilitarian, i guess. The best keyboard, IMO, is one that feels like typing on nothing at all.

If you have problems with accidental key presses, then I think you need more practice. Don't blame your chubby fingers, either. I've seen sumo wrestlers make origami.
keyboards!

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 18:36:16 »
Quote from: Armando Penblade;307199
If you click on the company name on any KeyboardCo product page, then choose "Include Out of Stock" on the left side, it'll show their whole lineup.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search-alias=electronics&field-manufacturer=The%20Keyboard%20Company#/ref=sr_nr_p_n_availability_1?rh=n%3A172282%2Cp_15%3AThe+Keyboard+Company%2Cp_n_availability%3A1248801011&bbn=172282&ie=UTF8&qid=1299543729

Nice! Thanks for the tip.

To answer the OP, reds are like Realforce 87U's; only the coolest and most leet people own and use them.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 18:37:18 »
Does keyboardco ship to the US? Or is it best to go through their amazon page?
keyboards!

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 18:41:05 »
They ship to the USA through both pages.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 19:06:24 »
What kind of person suits Cherry Red?

[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 19:35:51 »

That may be true but in reality for FPS gaming at least since most of the linears are FPS keyboards. The tactility is pretty much pointless and gets in the way. The browns have this sort of two-face capacity in gaming were on one hand they are very light and easy to press almost, if not linear but at times it can also feel resistive(I'd say more like frictiony) and heavy(not mx black heavy/resistive but just not pleasant) as odd as it sounds.

I hate to say this but in a way the membrane domes are a tiny bit better than tactile switches for gaming. Not to say they are superior just I think in a way I kinda prefer the elastic tactility of membrane domes when gaming rather than the pure defined tactile point as well as the friction of the plastic.

Same with using scissor switches why they also seem to be quite popular with FPS gaming despite the fact they too suffer from low quality material and construction.

I can also see the appeal in higher quality rubber dome keyboards like Topre or Keytronic and whatnot. Quite a few posts of people mentioning how back in the mid-late 90s and early 2000s they played much better with those higher quality dome keyboards and even prefer them despite using current quality keyboards.

As odd as it sounds the mx black, I can't speak for the reds. Provide a feeling somewhat like a rubber dome that has had it's elastic bounce subdued or eliminated.

Offline EZjiji

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 19:36:36 »
Quote from: Oqsy;307248
Show Image

I don't understand this gesture. "limpwrist"?

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 20:11:50 »
Quote from: EZjiji;307277
I don't understand this gesture. "limpwrist"?

He's from Arkansas, where it's illegal to say or write the word.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 20:12:27 »
What is "ghetto" red?
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 20:16:17 »
Quote from: BucklingSpring;307298
What is "ghetto" red?

Blacks with brown springs

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 20:35:26 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;307275
I like linear.

And here's why this is a personal preference thing. :biggrin: You like linear switches for gaming, I want tactile(clears, actually).

The membranes in my Keytronic have started going soft around the WASD cluster. They actually kind of remind me of Cherry browns, a light activation force and with only the slightest whiff of tactile bump. They're really rather annoying, since it's harder to tell where in the keystroke you are. For people who don't do a full keystroke but hover on the activation point, you have to have a well defined tactile point. After giving all of the Cherry switches a quick test drive, clears are definitely what I personally want to game on.
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 20:44:59 »
I think clears are an excellent choice coming off a KeyTronic. I wish I had discovered them earlier in my quest. I'm a recovering former KeyTronic user myself :D

Offline Kacee

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 02:47:17 »
%#(*&%#(%

I typed like half a page worth of text about my Filco Linear-R and for some reason when I touched my mouse, the browser went backwards 2 pages. I'm really pissed :(

In short, I got a Filco Cherry MX Red (Linear-R Limited Edition) right here, it's a Majestouch 2 (with blue PCB, FR-4 something compliance, gray logo...)

And it's a good keyboard, just like any other Filcos, definitely recommended for those who prefer linear action but find the black force feedback is too strong.

But I still like my G80-3000 black modded to red better, it got better key feeling, softer bottoming out sounds, although it's like being made of jello compare to Filcos.

I will take some pictures if you want, but really it's not different from any other Tenkeyless Filcos, aside from switches color.

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 04:14:17 »
I always type longer posts in a notepad and then paste the text into the forum just when I'm ready to post it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline neo

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 06:02:46 »
Quote from: Kacee;307438
%#(*&%#(%

I typed like half a page worth of text about my Filco Linear-R and for some reason when I touched my mouse, the browser went backwards 2 pages. I'm really pissed :(

In short, I got a Filco Cherry MX Red (Linear-R Limited Edition) right here, it's a Majestouch 2 (with blue PCB, FR-4 something compliance, gray logo...)

And it's a good keyboard, just like any other Filcos, definitely recommended for those who prefer linear action but find the black force feedback is too strong.

But I still like my G80-3000 black modded to red better, it got better key feeling, softer bottoming out sounds, although it's like being made of jello compare to Filcos.

I will take some pictures if you want, but really it's not different from any other Tenkeyless Filcos, aside from switches color.

Thanks for your description. If you have a Filco with browns, can you compare the two?

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 06:19:38 »
Quote from: Kacee;307438

That's the difference between PCB-mounted and plate mounted switches. I've always been interested in trying out PCB-mounted switches and hopefully will soon with the KBC Poker.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 06:21:42 »
That's what I'm concerned about...I love both my modded G80-3494's and I'm concerned I wouldn't like a Leopold OR a Filco with reds. Also I really hate a red switch for the space bar.

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 06:23:21 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;307505
Also I really hate a red switch for the space bar.

Why is that? Is it the low force? I don't mind my brown space bar so I'd assume I wouldn't mind a red space bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline RiGS

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 06:26:18 »

Yeah, that stuff used to happen to me. Notepad is your friend.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 06:35:34 »
Quote from: db_Iodine;307507
Why is that? Is it the low force? I don't mind my brown space bar so I'd assume I wouldn't mind a red space bar.

Yea its the easiest key to accidentally press with a red switch.

Offline British

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 06:36:04 »
Quote from: RiGS;307509
Yeah, that stuff used to happen to me. Notepad is your friend.
Or use Firefox and Lazarus.

Regarding reds, I should receive my Filco soon.
I'll see how it is compared to the browns I use daily.

Offline dracaXL

• http://www.technickal.org
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 06:47:02 »
Quote from: British;307518
Or use Firefox and Lazarus.

Lazarus 3.x also supports Chrome and Safari :D, thanks for the heads up.
Filco Majestouch Linear (i.e. MX Blacks) | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns) | TVS Gold Bharat (MX Blue) | VorTex KBC Poker* (MX Red)

Intel Core i7-2600k | Gainward GTX 580 GOOD | 8GB XMS3 DDR3 RAM | Gigabyte P67-UD4 | Asus Xonar Essence ST | NZXT Phantom | KRK RP5 G2 w. Wharfedale SW150

*pre-ordered

Offline neo

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 07:28:45 »
Quote from: British;307518

Congrats, and please post a detailed comparison!

Offline Kacee

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 11:25:20 »
Quote from: neo;307494
Thanks for your description. If you have a Filco with browns, can you compare the two?

I do have a Filco brown. As I said, this is a Filco Tenkeyless, no more, no less. They build the same way, any advertised better feeling with the new PCB I can't tell because I don't have a Majestouch red to compare with Majestouch 2.

Compare to the brown, key feeling wise, red does make you feel softer, there's no bump along the key travel. But, it's VERY hard not to bottom out, that's not a problem because if you don't bottom out with black then the bottoming out sound and feedback force when you type on red is not that great.

Actually it's very easy to imagine the red, you apply some force on the black switch, the key go down some, more force, more travel, nothing keep you back, just like you push down a piano key (that's why I love the linear switches) - with the reds, it's the same, but much less force is required for the key to go down.

I dont' like blues or browns because of theirs non-linear activation force, but typing on blacks is kind of hard for the fingers. But I dont' know if I like red or not, at least on this Filco. I love the soft, very soft feeling on the Cherry G80-3000. But it's too big on my desk.

The perfect 'board for me hasn't arrived =D
Quote from: keyboardlover;307505
That's what I'm concerned about...I love both my modded G80-3494's and I'm concerned I wouldn't like a Leopold OR a Filco with reds. Also I really hate a red switch for the space bar.

I don't know about you but I haven't got any accidently key press with this Filco or my another (ghetto) red switches keyboard, the Cherry G80-3000. Maybe it's because I don't rest my fingers on the keys.

Offline Kacee

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 11:31:03 »
Oh, I forgot to mention, the stabilizer bars on the Filco red is more thinner than on other Filco boards, noticable thinner. I haven't see any drawback or advantage of this change but it does trouble me.

I can have a comparison picture later if you want.