Author Topic: The motorola xoom- my review.  (Read 3601 times)

Offline manfaux

The motorola xoom- my review.
« on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 13:40:08 »
So, I was at the mall with my wife over the weekend, she had to return some bras and shop for perfumes, I couldn't be bothered so I left it to herself and went to BestBuy to try the new motorola xooooom because I sold my first gen iPad a while ago and wanted a new, better tablet for my entertainment, mostly reading geekhack while taking a dump.

I wasn't very satisfied with the original iPad: no SD expansion, too heavy, and the resolution could be a notch higher. The Xoom looks very promising on paper so I gave it a good 30 minute tryout!

-First impression: The display is god awful. I knew it has a TN panel and didn't expect too much from it but still, it's like starting at my old acer laptop's display, the colors are washed out, viewing angle is terrible, and color vibrance is nonexistent. 1280*800 looks decent on paper but in the real world I could hardly tell the ppi difference between and xoom and the ipad. Moto totally ****ed the display up this time around. 0/10 in that department.

-Build quality is very good! It felt extremely solid in my hands but not too hefty, I did my homework and found that it weighs 730g, 50g more than the wifi iPad, but it felt pretty much as heavy as the iPad, no noticeable difference.

-Overall Hardware design This is where Motorola really ****ed up IMO, i mean the display is bad but they didn't make it so I can't really blame them. When I first bought the iPad, I was baffled as to why Apple is still sticking to that one big iphone/ipod style connector, I mean they got plenty of space to put in separate power jacks, USB connector, video out etc..

Until I played with the xoom. The Xoom has separate USB, HDMI, charging input, audio output.. and... I wish it doesn't. Allow me to explain.
The Xoom has 3.5mm headphone output on the top, USB, HDMI and power connector on the bottom, volume buttons on the left, on/off on the BACK alongside the camera....the whole damn thing has got holes and connectors and buttons all over its body and everyone who has ever owned a tablets knows this: IT MOVES. Therefore it's impossible to find the right thing when you need to, it's seriously worse than an ISO keyboard.

-Overall UI Experience was decent, it was fast enough and no discernible UI lag, Honeycomb is a little more complicated than Android 2.x but every button and option is quite self-explanatory, you have to try it for yourself for the actual UI experience, I think Google did a pretty damn good job with Honeycomb. Good mark there.

Overall, if I were to buy another tablet I'd never buy the Xoom, for $800, some of its designs are unfathomably idiotic and I absolutely cannot see myself living with them day to day.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 March 2011, 13:58:44 by manfaux »

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 13:46:25 »
Quote from: manfaux;307000
So, I was at the mall with my wife over the weekend, she had to return some bras and shop for perfumes, I couldn't be bothered so I left it to herself and went to BestBuy to try the new motorola xooooom because I sold my first gen iPad a while ago and wanted a new, better tablet for my entertainment, mostly reading geekhack while taking a dump.

I wasn't very satisfied with the original iPad: no SD expansion, too heavy, and the resolution could be a notch higher. The Xoom looks very promising on paper so I gave it a good 30 minute tryout!

-First impression: The display is god awful. I knew it has a TN panel and didn't expect too much from it but still, it's like starting at my old acer laptop's display, the colors are washed out, viewing angle is terrible, and color vibrance is nonexistent. 1280*800 looks decent on paper but in the real world I could hardly tell a ppi difference between and xoom and the ipad. Moto totally ****ed the display up this time around. 0/10 in that department.

-Build quality is very good! It felt extremely solid in my hands but not too hefty, I did my homework and found that it weighs 730g, 50g more than the wifi iPad, but it felt pretty much as heavy as the iPad, no noticeable difference.

-Overall Hardware design This is where Motorola really ****ed up IMO, i mean the display is bad but they didn't make it so I can't really blame them. When I first bought the iPad, I was baffled as to why Apple is still sticking to that one big iphone/ipod style connector, I mean they got plenty of space to put in separate power jacks, USB connector, video out etc..

Until I played with the xoom. The Xoom has separate USB, HDMI, charging input, audio output.. and... I wish it doesn't. Allow me to explain.
The Xoom has 3.5mm headphone output on the top, USB, HDMI and power connector on the bottom, volume buttons on the left, on/off on the BACK alongside the camera....the whole damn thing has got holes and connectors and buttons all over its body and everyone who has ever owned a tablets knows this: IT MOVES. Therefore it's impossible to find the right thing when you need to, it's seriously worse than an ISO keyboard.

-Overall UI Experience was decent, it was fast enough and no discernible UI lag, Honeycomb is a little more complicated than Android 2.x but every button and option is quite self-explanatory, you have to try it for yourself for the actual UI experience, I think Google did a pretty damn good job with Honeycomb. Good mark there.

Overall, if I were to buy another tablet I'd never buy the Xoom, for $800, some of its designs are unfathomably idiotic.

You forgot to mention that in order to upgrade to 4G, you have to send it in to the factory.

Overall, I agree with you. The most important factor imo though would be the app store size. Apple is much farther ahead in that aspect.
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 13:49:14 »
I got to mess around with the two units we have in the office. Gotta agree with your assessment. It's a solid unit, but the display is really lackluster.

Offline manfaux

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 13:56:36 »
Quote from: noodles256;307004
You forgot to mention that in order to upgrade to 4G, you have to send it in to the factory.

Overall, I agree with you. The most important factor imo though would be the app store size. Apple is much farther ahead in that aspect.

The Apple app store is definitely a nice plus but truth be told when I had my iPad I used it mostly just for web browsing/youtube/Emails, and occasionally brought it along for viewing photos from my camera on an overnight trip. I've got tons of apps on my iPhone though.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 14:07:41 »
Im more intrigued by the atrix, since here in Canada, the tablets are all getting crippled with no voice capabilities. I dont want a smartphone AND a tablet device, so I really want something that does double duty. The atrix dock is a neat idea.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline Lanx

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 17:11:08 »
Quote from: manfaux;307000

lol i'll agree with this, on my droid that i've had for a year i'm like, so many buttons all over!

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 18:49:43 »
They put a TN panel in there, but still charged $800 for the thing?

I really don't get why the Xoom was so hyped now. There's nothing that even remotely makes it worth the price.

If the Wi-Fi-only HTC Flyer releases at $500, though...that might be worth it. Just maybe.

Offline manfaux

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 21:06:26 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;307232
They put a TN panel in there, but still charged $800 for the thing?

I really don't get why the Xoom was so hyped now. There's nothing that even remotely makes it worth the price.

If the Wi-Fi-only HTC Flyer releases at $500, though...that might be worth it. Just maybe.

The flyer is already out in europe i thought? it's 700 euros or something like that.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 11:16:22 »
Quote from: manfaux;308209
The flyer is already out in europe i thought? it's 700 euros or something like that.

I don't know about Europe, but it sure doesn't seem to be out in the US yet.

Offline panda-R

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 20:40:25 »
the atrix is a hot piece of ass... i mean smartphone, too bad it's only coming subsidized on BELL up here in the great white north.
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline n12

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 March 2011, 00:46:08 »
Been looking for a new phone recently and have been quite disappointed with what Sprint has to offer. Going to wait for info on the iPhone 5 and if Sprint doesn't have any decent competition for that by then, I will prob switch to a different provider.

Re: The motorola xoom- my review.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 March 2013, 07:31:02 »
Im more intrigued by the atrix, since here in Canada, the tablets are all getting crippled with no voice capabilities. I dont want a smartphone AND a tablet device, so I really want something that does double duty. The atrix dock is a neat idea.
What are the other special features of this dock ?