Author Topic: Does your keyboard addiction get you into trouble at work?  (Read 13166 times)

Offline Lanx

Does your keyboard addiction get you into trouble at work?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 07:34:54 »
word of advice, never "force" your views on keyboards on ppl, it might make you seem like a snob or a supergeek, either way just let sleeping dogs lie, of course if they come over and are curious let them try it out and a tiny bit of education, treat them like a wild animal.

Offline kriminal

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 07:38:05 »
meh i got ridiculed more than enough when i collect my keyboards from the delivery guy on work.. :\
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 15:33:02 »
Heh, this is quite funny to read. I myself do not work (high school), but I'm sure that when I bring my Zenith I will get lots of weird looks... Especially since it pings an angelic choir that I find to be ever so pleasing :angel:

Offline Lolcakes

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 16:55:58 »
Quote from: Lanx;447238
word of advice, never "force" your views on keyboards on ppl, it might make you seem like a snob or a supergeek, either way just let sleeping dogs lie, of course if they come over and are curious let them try it out and a tiny bit of education, treat them like a wild animal.

QFT. I have experienced that myself and I even don't talk to ppl about keyboards anymore. The real life is fool of noobs unfortunately :/

Offline sinis

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 17:14:16 »
Addiction is a hard word. On work I do not have problems because I am a student and I do not carry around any boards. My girlfriend likes my new keyboard and the caps so far :)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 17:24:04 »
my fiance' just looked at my desk and said "is that another new keyboard, why are they getting uglier and uglier?" it's a kinesis i've had for a month?

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 07:36:27 »
Quote from: Lmnr;446866
Pretty funny story.. I went into a auto zone to get a wheel grip for my car. When I went to the front of the store there were 4 registers all with red switches or from what I could tell cherry keyboards with the card swipe.. and she was hammering on it as if it was some ****ty rubber dome.. it was like watching a horror show except I didn't show any expression on my face I just went on and sighed. :L

Most of the ones you find at auto stores are Cherry Clears.
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 09:20:14 »
They treat them like ****ty membrane ones though.
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline zirb

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 10:28:22 »
so since my G80-3000 with clears finally arrived i brought it to work..
funny thing is that i asked my boss last week if it would be okay to buy a new mouse (old one sucked). he offered me any microsoft wireless mouse/keyboard combination on which i said that i will bring my own keyboard but the mouse should be okay. from reflex i added that it would be kind of a "ergonomic" keyboard, where the keys have better feeling xD

he only said "O.K." and agreed that i can go buy a new mouse *hrhr*
so far noone else even noticed that i have a different keyboard, too much thoughts put in that beforehand...

so i have now a Logitech G400 and the cherry with clears (which i love by the way)
everythings fine

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 10:33:16 »
Quote from: Lanx;447238

This.  I just bring my new stuff and don't make a fuss.  The only time anyone has noticed, recently anyway, is when I got my white Filco.  In that case it was just because it was white.

Offline Grimey

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 11:09:19 »
Quote from: itlnstln;457428
This.  I just bring my new stuff and don't make a fuss.  The only time anyone has noticed, recently anyway, is when I got my white Filco.  In that case it was just because it was white.

My new keyboards only get noticed if the post has foreign characters on it.  Trying to explain to people the reasoning for ordering a keyboard from Taiwan is lost on most.  Otherwise we are just characterized as the "programmers with loud keyboards" in the office.
Erlang your pants off

Offline N8N

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:52:57 »
Quote from: harrison;312229
the thing is, for most of us that use keyboards/computers at work, these are our tools.  a mechanic isn't going to wrench on a car all day with a socket set bought from walmart, he needs a quality tool that he can count on and be comfortable with to make his living.  it's no different with my keyboard, mouse, and headset.

Exactly!

The funny thing is, I'm (tooting my own horn) a fairly decent amateur mechanic and also fairly handy around the house... my roommate has aspirations to be the same.  I keep trying to tell him that e.g. Craftsman is the minimum acceptable quality for mechanic's tools but he really wants S-K, Proto, etc. and similar comments regarding tools for home repair but he doesn't listen and keeps buying crap at Harbor Freight...  his rationale, "well, if I break it, I can buy two more for the cost of one of your tools."  Yeah, but mine *don't* break, and they don't exude that aura of cheapness and don't piss me off every time I use them, either.

He's still using the keyboard that came with his PC :)

The other thing that I find amusing is that so many cheap, crappy tools come from the same geographic area that makes such nice keyboards...
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:55:33 »
i've got a Unicomp M, type on it constantly and nobody ever says diddly, then again I have a whole area to work with on my own, and don't spend a considerable amount of time typing in a short period.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!