Author Topic: otaku yes or no ?  (Read 9954 times)

Offline zakazak

otaku yes or no ?
« on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 12:21:44 »
I actually like the look of otaku´s.. it just looks so simple and non-standart. But some people here seem to have a problem with otaku´s connected to some "show-off" (i´m pro i can write without printed keys !).

So whats your opinion: Do you like the look of Otaku´s ? Would you want one? WHY?

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 12:25:36 »
Yea. I like the clean, blank look.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 12:33:48 »
I have one board with clean caps and one with printed, the clean one looks smoother and cleaner by far. I will also be changing the caps on the other board as soon as the other set of caps arrive, both because clean caps simply look better and the fact that it's a different layout than I use, so a lot of the prints aren't correct.
Even if I did have the correct layout I'd still change the caps to blank, just looks so much better, though I was hesitant at first for the same reason as you. Then I tried changing a few of the caps to blanks and it looked so good I just had to replace the rest as well.

Offline zaerst

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 12:33:53 »
I like the blank look! But yes it also makes you leet. ;)

Offline zakazak

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 12:37:07 »
as a side question: you said they look more clean.. i wonderh ow you clean that keyboard anyway? with my cheap rubber ones i just put them into the dishwasher :D but taking off all the keys could damage the mechanism easily?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 12:42:05 »
Quote from: zakazak;315291
as a side question: you said they look more clean.. i wonderh ow you clean that keyboard anyway? with my cheap rubber ones i just put them into the dishwasher :D but taking off all the keys could damage the mechanism easily?

There's loads of info on this around the forums here, do a quick forum search for cleaning and other relevant keywords and see what pops up.

Offline chel-

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 12:46:03 »
I'm enjoying it on my hhkb pro 2. I'm not sure I would like it for anything else though. The problem for me is that certain keys that I hardly ever use like print screen would be difficult to find on a full keyboard (on the hhkb its like Fn + i or something like that). After using it I'm pretty indifferent. Its neat and certainly does have that elitist feel at first but it wears off after some time imo. I think the perfect median between otaku and printed would be gray on black, just for those times when I need to find a key and would rather not google a picture of the keys printed :p although Im seriously considering buying the white printed keys. It all comes down to personal preference and how comfortable you are with a keyboard.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 March 2011, 12:49:01 by chel- »

Offline pitashen

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 12:47:49 »
Yes for the look.
No from the practical point of view. I still need to look down on my keyboard when I input a lot of numbers from the number row.
Will get one eventually though.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Kacee

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 12:51:50 »
Quote from: pitashen;315300
Yes for the look.
No from the practical point of view. I still need to look down on my keyboard when I input a lot of numbers from the number row.
Will get one eventually though.

what he said...

except I got one otaku keyset already, sitting on the shelf collecting dust now =D

Offline zakazak

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 13:43:21 »
Quote from: vun;315295
There's loads of info on this around the forums here, do a quick forum search for cleaning and other relevant keywords and see what pops up.

well the only concern i have is about removing the keys from a filco tenkeyleyy mx brown. I dont want to dmg anything.. From the rubber keyboards i know that its just pulling hard :D but dont know if i would do that on a 140€ keyboard.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 13:51:38 »
Quote from: zakazak;315337
well the only concern i have is about removing the keys from a filco tenkeyleyy mx brown. I dont want to dmg anything.. From the rubber keyboards i know that its just pulling hard :D but dont know if i would do that on a 140€ keyboard.

You can buy a keypuller along with the keyboard, removes keys without damaging anything. I don't think you risk breaking anything when removing keycaps, I'm mildly concerned about putting them back on, though. I don't feel comfortable pushing them down too hard, but otherwise I worry they won't sit properly.

The only keys you can't just pull straight off are the larger keys, you need to take care when removing them because of stabilizers. I'll see if I can find the link I used when replacing them.

Edit: Was still in my bookmarks: Read this.

Offline Reaif

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 14:16:09 »
I have an otaku set, and I love it quite a bit. Granted it was a little harder to get used to for the symbols, and I still take some time to find the ampersand every now and then, but it works great. When I was using the keyboard at home, my wife is a sight typist, so she couldn't use my computer at all. Now I have it at work, so that isn't a problem any more.

In the end though, I like the look a lot, and while I did feel a little elitist at first, it quickly wore off cause when people ask about it, I don't just say that I am so much better than the average typist etc etc etc. Just say that you like the looks of it and you don't really need the legends anyway. That goes over much better. :)
Currently own:
Das S Ultimate with Browns
Cherry G84-4100 with ML Linear switches
Memorex Telex with NMB Space Invaders
Leopold with Blues

Offline kazie

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 14:27:39 »
Take this into consideration... times have changed, and the cool factor of all things nerdy add a certain mystique to a person that never previously had it. Also, as my previous sentence points out, you are able to use the word cool and nerdy in the same sentence.

In an era of skinny jeans, bad hairstyles, too many people thinking they are artistic, and lots of would be musicians, bringing a girl home is enhanced when you have an otaku keyboard.

Why? How do I make this connection?  Do you know how amazing it is for a girl who meet a guy with ripped arms who can take her home and discover that secretly the guys is actually into technology that could enhance her skills such as hacking, speed typing, or prevention of tendonitis?

Girls like a man with an edge, and among all the would be nerds with a light up keyboard and glo stix soldered to the side of their unfashionable antec cases, an otaku keyboard fits the bill between sheik, and ravishingly brainy. The ladies love the contrast.

Its true.

Go otaku. You wont regret it.

Offline panda-R

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 14:44:10 »
otaku is for noobs!
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline Findecanor

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 14:45:31 »
I wish more people would order blank keys sets in the Geekhack key cap group order.
🍉

Offline itlnstln

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 14:55:58 »
Quote from: panda-R;315367
otaku is for noobs!

Notaku.

Offline panda-R

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 14:57:33 »
Quote from: itlnstln;315375
Notaku.

hot chocolate?

Offline Ekaros

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 14:58:55 »
Quote from: Findecanor;315371
I wish more people would order blank keys sets in the Geekhack key cap group order.

Was hoping for reds, but no such luck...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline itlnstln

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 15:00:35 »
Quote from: panda-R;315376
hot chocolate?

Huh.  Rhymes with "cock blockage."

Offline panda-R

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 15:01:21 »
Quote from: itlnstln;315379

I Chu Chu Chuse you PikaChu!

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 17:39:40 »
Quote from: itlnstln;315379

Hey itlnstln, I dedicated one of my memes to you!

Offline pm_

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 18:05:13 »
I use some passwords where my hands are in awkward positions, so I need to see  a respective key or two for alignment.  Also, if someone else happens to be using my computer, an Otaku would probably present a problem for them.

BTW, you can only truly be l33t if you order a KBC Poker.  :p

Offline panda-R

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 18:29:56 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;315473
Hey itlnstln, I dedicated one of my memes to you!

Show Image

i can't believe you just used that against our good buddy itlnstln! it was the lulz.

Offline chel-

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 18:32:54 »
Quote from: pm_;315491
Also, if someone else happens to be using my computer, an Otaku would probably present a problem for them.

That's part of the fun :D

Offline rustybarnacle

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 18:36:08 »
This is really quite simple - if you have to ask, you probably aren't l33t enough.

Offline rustybarnacle

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 18:47:10 »
Quote from: ripster;315516

Is it me or does anyone else regret KL's discovery of memegenerator.net?

The shine has rather worn off, hasn't it.

Offline keyboardlover

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 18:47:54 »

Offline rustybarnacle

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 18:48:45 »
And that's how geekhack became 4chan.  Also, threadjacked.

Offline keyboardlover

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 18:49:45 »
Quote from: rustybarnacle;315531
And that's how geekhack became 4chan.

Offline strum4h

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 18:53:39 »
I want every key on my keyboard to say GEEK HACK
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco Tenkeyless with Browns  - SIIG minitouch GHSS

Offline pm_

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 21:34:49 »
You guys are too awesome.

Offline thirdkind

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 19:52:07 »
Use a blank keyboard AND switch to Dvorak.

Nobody will know what the hell is going on when they sit down at your desk. I think it's hilarious.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 19:54:04 »
Quote from: thirdkind;316366

Nobody will know what the hell is going on when they sit down at your desk. I think it's hilarious.

... I am so going to do this if I get the chance.

Offline Cryptoman

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 00:43:13 »
Quote from: thirdkind;316366

Dvorak and even Colemak is so yesterday.  The super-l33t are using QFMLWY now.

Offline What is X?

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 02:10:02 »
i love the blank look

Offline thirdkind

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 09:21:34 »
Quote from: Cryptoman;316542
Dvorak and even Colemak is so yesterday.  The super-l33t are using QFMLWY now.

I spend most of my days doing front end development, so the placement of "<", ">", and "." on Dvorak are much better than any QWERTY variant. The curly brace placement is less than optimal considering the amount of CSS I write, but I don't want to remap them and use something non-standard.

Offline feng

• * Vendor
otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 11:48:27 »
Blank key cap looks really cool.

Offline CephalicCarnage

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 17:49:02 »
I'm just into the clean look of blank keycaps.  Even my favorite guitar fretboards are blank with no fret markers.  Ebony fretboard with polished stainless steel frets is sexy.

Next I need a new monitor with hardly any bezel...
Filco Tenkeyless "Otaku" (Blue), Leopold Tenkeyless "Otaku" (Brown), Leopold Tenkeyless (Blue), Goldtouch GTC-0077 Numeric Pad (Brown)
In the mail: HHKB Pro2 White/Gray

WTB: G80-8113HRBUS-2 with Clear switches

Offline digitalleftovers

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 17:58:56 »
Quote from: panda-R;315367
otaku is for noobs!

Black/White otaku is for noobs.

Orange and clear otaku will be new l33t!

BTW, did anyone else know that "Otaku" translates to "geek," and not "Blank."  I just wanted to point that out.
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline dfrey

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 21:47:26 »
I have the Filco Tenkeyless "Otaku" with brown Cherry switches.  For normal typing, I don't have any problems, but I will admit that I press the wrong key sometimes when I'm trying to type in the 5,6,7,8,9 key area.

Offline DeltaGunner

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 01:22:42 »
If im gonna go for the BlackWidow Ultimate than i dont want Otaku cause of the backlighting. However im already planning on getting a Das Silent Ultimate after that, and its already Otaku.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Keyboards:
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
Wishlist:
DAS Ultimate Model S Ultimate Silent, or atleast some other Cherry Brown
Mice:
Logitech Trackball
Logitech Trackman Wheel
CM Storm Sentinel Advance 5.600 DPI
Switches:
Blue
Want to try:
Black, Brown, Red and BS

Offline Tony

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 00:39:59 »
Vote otaku, it looks neat and cool.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline dr/owned

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 03:13:08 »
2 things I see no point in beyond aesthetics: otaku and backllighting.  I'm a total dvorak touch typist, but even I have to look down occasionally for a some of the number keys / %$^& .  Plus having to say "left alt shift 1" for qwerty every time someone else uses my board is a pain in the ass, so then adding black keys on top of that is no go.

Backlighting...if you need more than the light of your monitor to get your finger bearings you suck at life.
Realforce all 55g (work keyboard)
Realforce all 45g (sold)
CM Storm Quickfire Cherry MX Green (home keyboard) w/ White Thick Dyesub PBT keycaps.

Offline Tony

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 03:31:19 »
Quote from: dr/owned;318240
2 things I see no point in beyond aesthetics: otaku and backllighting.  I'm a total dvorak touch typist, but even I have to look down occasionally for a some of the number keys / %$^& .  Plus having to say "left alt shift 1" for qwerty every time someone else uses my board is a pain in the ass, so then adding black keys on top of that is no go.

Backlighting...if you need more than the light of your monitor to get your finger bearings you suck at life.

You can otaku part of your keyboard as you wish, i.e. blank A-Z key only. Then gradually you can otaku the number row and function keyrow as well.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 March 2011, 03:33:56 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline dr/owned

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 03:58:45 »
Quote from: Tony;318244
You can otaku part of your keyboard as you wish, i.e. blank A-Z key only. Then gradually you can otaku the number row and function keyrow as well.

But what's the end game?  Does a kitten die every time I press a non otaku key :)
Realforce all 55g (work keyboard)
Realforce all 45g (sold)
CM Storm Quickfire Cherry MX Green (home keyboard) w/ White Thick Dyesub PBT keycaps.

Offline db_Iodine

otaku yes or no ?
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 04:22:45 »
Touch typing is no problem for me, but I've just lately noticed that when I'm playing a certain mmorpg I try to look at my number row to see what number I'm supposed to hit. That obviously doesn't go well with my otaku Ducky. I've become a lot better at remembering the places of the numbers on the number row, but I think it might still have a small effect on my gaming. I'm still not changing it back though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]