Author Topic: Ohmydoubleshot..  (Read 1671 times)

Offline poco

Ohmydoubleshot..
« on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 12:35:45 »
I received my first set of double-shot keycaps yesterday (thanks daageep!), which were stripped of an MY-7000 keyboard. I have begun the process of replacing the keycaps on my Ducky 1087. I have yet to attempt replacing larger keys, since I'm afraid of breaking something. (I want to do it right!) But I've replaced all the smaller keys, including 1-9 on my numeric keypad.

I just want to say that I completely underestimated the quality and beauty of these keys. They're so much prettier than the worn-down laser printed keys that came with my Ducky. I love the vintage look and feel, and they sound so much better when typing. It was so worth the hassle of trying to acquire vintage Cherry keycaps. I love them.

Oh, and the style of the F and J keys is great. Instead of having nubs for touch-typing orientation, they're indented a little deeper than the rest of the keys, so my index fingers sit in the grooves. It takes a little getting used to, but I really like the feeling of it.

Here's a picture of the F and J keys up close so you can see the shape:

Anyways, here are some pictures of the initial transplant process. If anyone has some advice for the larger keys (spacebar, enter, left shift), that would be great, but I just wanted to share in my excitement about the keycaps.

Here's the first picture I took.. arranging the keys before I put them on the keyboard (excuse the mess! Yes, that's my work desk.):

After replacing the number keys.. look at all the pretty MX blacks!

I had no idea there'd be SUCH a contrast between the double-shot and lasered keycaps. Oh my goodness! Love it. (This is after the top row of letters had been replaced.)

And here's what it looks like right now. :)

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone! If this thread's not in the right area, feel free to move it. :)
Ducky 1087 - MX Black | Leopold tenkeyless - MX Brown

Offline poco

Ohmydoubleshot..
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 12:38:26 »
Oh, and here's a picture of my numeric keypad:

I had all the keys I needed except the small Tab, Space, and Left arrow, which I'm planning to replace with custom keycaps I find. The only keys I'd like to find replacements for are the large +, and 0, since the MY-7000 doesn't have those ones.

Offline Peter

Ohmydoubleshot..
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 13:05:44 »
Welcome in the Club, You have my sympathy..
Now there is no going back and you will never, ever, again be entirely satisfied
with a new keyboards lousy caps .
If you are in the US you may want to buy a couple of donor-boards for your future needs on ebay, I've seen NIB MY7000's for less than 30US and G80-8000's for around 50 bucks ..

Offline BucklingSpring

Ohmydoubleshot..
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 13:09:30 »
Dear Santa, I want white on black doubleshot just like the above for my Topre. Pleaaaaaaaaaaase!!!!!!!!!!!!
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline poco

Ohmydoubleshot..
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 13:17:43 »
Quote from: Peter;316044
Welcome in the Club, You have my sympathy..
Now there is no going back and you will never, ever, again be entirely satisfied
with a new keyboards lousy caps .
If you are in the US you may want to buy a couple of donor-boards for your future needs on ebay, I've seen NIB MY7000's for less than 30US and G80-8000's for around 50 bucks ..

Ahh! I can't afford this obsession! And I still need to get a keyboard for home use.

Offline daageep

Ohmydoubleshot..
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 23:11:53 »
very nice! glad you are enjoying them

Offline Saffa

Ohmydoubleshot..
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 23:23:56 »
Looks great! didn't know there was such a visual difference

Offline calavera

Ohmydoubleshot..
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 23:57:36 »
I dunno if they're technically called "vintage" but they're definitely better than 99% of the laser key caps out there. Older thick laser key caps is an exception ;)