Author Topic: User error or something else?  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Eric5676

User error or something else?
« on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 15:43:32 »
Not sure what to make of this but here goes:

I've had some instances with the Rosewill-9000 where I can be typing along just fine and suddenly I can watch several words I've written disappear as if someone scrolled the mouse over them and hit the delete button. And it happens fast.

Now I'm either typing insanely fast and tripping up on some Windows macro or some crazy trick or...it's a KB issue and if it is I can't imagine what it could be or how.

Note: Backspace, Insert, delete, and other keys like that are not in the mix.

Thoughts on how this is happening? It doesn't happen very often thankfully. Could be just user error although I'd like to know what I'm accidentally doing if that's the case.

Thanks.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 16:14:15 »
I had a mouse problem once that had similar symptoms. It would jump erratically whenever touched or moved, and could delete whole lines.

Is it always just words on the same line? And it sounds too fast to be a stuck backspace key, unless you have your repeat rate set insanely high.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline elef

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 17:15:30 »
What software does it happen in?
If it happens in everything from text editors to web browsers, then it's some deeper issue. But if it only happens in, say, MS Word, then it's a Word bug. I can't imagine it being a hardware problem. It could be a bad backspace key but then you could see the characters going one by one, not all at once.

Offline Eric5676

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 18:16:10 »
Quote from: theferenc;316194
I had a mouse problem once that had similar symptoms. It would jump erratically whenever touched or moved, and could delete whole lines.

Is it always just words on the same line? And it sounds too fast to be a stuck backspace key, unless you have your repeat rate set insanely high.

Haven't screwed around with any repeat rates.

It happens in the same line. I'm almost certain this isn't a hardware issue.

Might have been a collusion of the mouse and something else. When it's happened it's been instantaneous. You type and then x number of words *poof* disappear in a blink of an eye.

Quote from: elef;316247
What software does it happen in?
If it happens in everything from text editors to web browsers, then it's some deeper issue. But if it only happens in, say, MS Word, then it's a Word bug. I can't imagine it being a hardware problem. It could be a bad backspace key but then you could see the characters going one by one, not all at once.

I'm going to deliberately test it out but so far I've seen it on forum usage and I think I might have seen it once when typing something in Open Office. The reason I'm sounding a tad uncertain is because I wasn't looking for it the few times it's happened and now I am and am going to try and see if I can "make" it happen or if the whole thing is just some fluke.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 18:20:05 »
Quote from: ripster;316305
My posts disappear all the time at OCN.  Especially if my viewpoint disagrees with the Moderators there.

Offline Eric5676

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 18:20:35 »
Quote from: ripster;316305
My posts disappear all the time at OCN.  Especially if my viewpoint disagrees with the Moderators there.

^^
LOL, ok it wasn't this fast.

It could happen right now while I'm typing to you and I'd see the last 4 to 5 words disappear immediately. If the backspace were stuck, it would be slower than what this looks like when I've seen it happen.

Offline elef

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 18:26:09 »
It could be some mouse bug selecting text, which you then overwrite as you type the next letter.

Offline Armando Penblade

• http://thegeekery.org
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 19:18:03 »
Happens a lot of keyboards with overly sensitive touchpads just underneath the keyboard if you don't learn to hover your palms far enough up.
Filco Majestouch 104-US, Metallic Blue, with Chery MX Blues  //  Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, 104-US + Media Keys & Browser Controls  //  iRocks RF-6570 Cordless 104-US, 2.4GHz Wireless, White  //  SteelSeries 6Gv2 104-US, Black, with Cherry MX Blacks

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 22:15:31 »
If you had a unix-style layout remap, I could see mashing 'control-A' accidentally with some regularity
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Eric5676

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 09:45:49 »
Yeah, CTRL-A could do that if you were really hitting and typing in a flurry and hit the delete button. It'd be a hell of a mistype in a flurry but it's not impossible.

The good news is I've gone out of my way to try and "make" it happen again and it hasn't so it just be one of those stray collusion of variables that happened (software end) and...*shrugs*