Author Topic: First mechanical, few questions  (Read 1997 times)

Offline gilljoy

First mechanical, few questions
« on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 15:24:38 »
Hey all,

I was talking to a few members on Overclock.net and was told heres the place to come to with questions about keyboards.

I'm looking to pick up my very first mechanical keyboard but not sure which one to get.

I can get the razer blackwidow for £30 from amazon as I've got a £30 voucher but I'm not sure wither or not its worth it? I've been hearing some mixed reviews from some members that its not the best.

The only other keyboard that I'd be in so far would be the steelseries 6gv2 or something that looks very similar to it. Dont particularly want to spend absolutely loads on a new keyboard If im perfectly honest but I need one as my spacebar on my desktop no longer works :(

Any advice and help would be brilliant, also if theres anywhere that offers student discount that would be amazing.

Offline strum4h

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 15:38:13 »
One of my friends just bought the razer and loves it. It really varies person to person though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco Tenkeyless with Browns  - SIIG minitouch GHSS

Offline DaemonRaccoon

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 15:42:17 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

It really depends on what you want. The BlackWidow has MX Blues, which clicky and tactile (that means lots of noise). The 6Gv2 has MX Blacks, which aren't well liked and are linear.

SteelSeries 6Gv2 Review
Razer BlackWidow Review 1 Review 2
122-Key Model F 6110345 1985-03-01 | Model M SSK 1391472 1991-01-22 | Rosewill RK-9000 v1 | KBC Poker X | Filco FKBN87M/PWE2

Offline gilljoy

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 15:44:49 »
Is there any others with the looks of the Steelseries that you would recomend?

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 15:49:10 »
filco is always an option, but if I were you I would get the blackwidow. That is a very nice introductory price into mech keyboards. If you don't like it, you can always try more switches
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline DaemonRaccoon

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 15:53:16 »
Quote from: noodles256;332327
filco is always an option, but if I were you I would get the blackwidow. That is a very nice introductory price into mech keyboards. If you don't like it, you can always try more switches

This, since you can get the BlackWidow for half price do it. If you don't like it you can always sell it and get a Filco.
122-Key Model F 6110345 1985-03-01 | Model M SSK 1391472 1991-01-22 | Rosewill RK-9000 v1 | KBC Poker X | Filco FKBN87M/PWE2

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 18:02:52 »
I use the BW for a bit whenever I go over to my mate's place for some SCII matches. Well, I can say that it's a good board with nice design stuff. However, like what has been mentioned before, there is some slight different in the layout compared to the normal keyboards. Be that as it may, it is only going to take a bit of your time to get used to that minor difference. Other than that, being having £30 voucher definitely going to save you a lot.

Anyway, why don't you browse through Amazon and see what are available with them before you decide?
My life for Aiur!

Offline CephalicCarnage

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 19:24:08 »
The BlackWidow is a great starter board priced relatively low compared to others.  I'd say go for it!  I owned one previously, but I ended up selling mine since there were a few aspects of it that I just didn't care for, such as the font on the keycaps, and the glossy fingerprint magnet finish.  Other than a few minor things, it's a decent keyboard for what you pay.  Of course, you may love the aspects of if that I disliked.
Filco Tenkeyless "Otaku" (Blue), Leopold Tenkeyless "Otaku" (Brown), Leopold Tenkeyless (Blue), Goldtouch GTC-0077 Numeric Pad (Brown)
In the mail: HHKB Pro2 White/Gray

WTB: G80-8113HRBUS-2 with Clear switches

Offline Human

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 23:47:51 »
As claimed by all above me, Razer BW is cheap(and even cheaper as you got voucher) but you get what you paid for. A poorly built mechanical keyboard which having lots of QC problems and some minor software problems(track my post for the compilation of it, lazy dig all of it out).

Offline Human

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 23:51:03 »
Last but not the least, I think that Razer BW is a disgrace for Cherry MX board as it does not give the comfortable(idiotic wrist rest design), consistency(famous inconsistent switch issue + improper aligned switch height) and durability(keyboard flexual+floating due to the idiotic wrist rest design).

It is a mechanical keyboard that not durable? How sarcastic is it...

P/S: In b4 Razer fanboi say that non of those above occured on their BW....
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 April 2011, 23:55:44 by Human »

Offline Human

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 23:59:27 »
Quote from: ripster;332547
Human, are ALL your posts Razer BW diatribes?

Almost...

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 00:14:15 »
I had a blackwidow for 2 months and had no trouble with it.

Literally 0
AF | Ducky YOTD |