Author Topic: How you can add printing on blank KeyCaps  (Read 2562 times)

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
How you can add printing on blank KeyCaps
« on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 12:27:12 »
Hallo and Guten Tag everyone,

as hinted on my "Arke" Keyboard thread, I have bin experimenting with adding text to blank keycaps for a while now.
And I finally after thinking about a possible way and trying different processes every now and than for about 3 month I found and easy way (if you have something like a laser-engraver).

The laser alone did not do the trick on blank PBT-Keycaps. But what did was adding a thin coat of printer toner and turning down the laser.

You find my complete guide in this video: Printing on KeyCaps (or any other plastic)

197421-0
(of cause this works with color to [see video])

Gratings

Max

Online Kilgarah

Re: How you can add printing on blank KeyCaps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 12:40:08 »
Hallo and Guten Tag everyone,

as hinted on my "Arke" Keyboard thread, I have bin experimenting with adding text to blank keycaps for a while now.
And I finally after thinking about a possible way and trying different processes every now and than for about 3 month I found and easy way (if you have something like a laser-engraver).

The laser alone did not do the trick on blank PBT-Keycaps. But what did was adding a thin coat of printer toner and turning down the laser.

You find my complete guide in this video: Printing on KeyCaps (or any other plastic)

(Attachment Link)
(of cause this works with color to [see video])

Gratings

Max
Wow, this is super cool. How well would this hold up over time compared to something else that people can do at home like dye sublimation?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 03:52:07 »
First a Tldnw: Put toner from a laser printer on the keycap and melt it with a laser where you want it to fuse with the cap.

I can't draw a final conclusion to how well this lasts over time since I did this for the first time about 3 days ago.
But I started making a full set for testing.

Here is a picture of what it looks like when you rub of the toner with some acetone (which will dissolve the toner).
There is no way you could get more wear then this, but how long it takes to get to this point by using them the normal way I can't say atm.

197562-0

Offline DeTommie

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 05:07:19 »
Great video (and moustache). Good find on this technique.

Have you tried to first trace the contour and then fill it in? I think this will get rid of the jagged edges.

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 08:41:49 »
Have you tried to first trace the contour and then fill it in? I think this will get rid of the jagged edges.

Good point. I thought about it but somehow missed trying it :confused:
Will give it a try and report back ;)

Meanwhile here is one I did with just some random "Nailart pigments" off of ebay.
These Pigments are basically also only colored plastics  ;)

Offline vvp

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 13:34:20 »
That's cool :)

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 15:31:18 »
sorry for spamming my own thread but am experimenting all day with this.

I did a full set for long term testing, and will report back when some letters went down the stream ;)
197617-0

and here is a cap where i first used black laser printer pigments and than golden nail art pigments.
The gold pigment particles are relatively big compared to those of the printer, so the tiny details get lost, but it works :D
197619-1
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 June 2018, 15:33:31 by xack »

Offline vvp

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 04:54:17 »
sorry for spamming my own thread but am experimenting all day with this.
Don't worry and continue. I like your cap printing experiments.

Online DiodeHead

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 09:45:15 »
another cool thing to try is powder coating paint, with this you have plenty of colors to choose from and I think it works kinda like toner, it is heat cured so maybe the laser could make a good job on printing the details, also its very fine powder too.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 09:51:54 »
First a Tldnw: Put toner from a laser printer on the keycap and melt it with a laser where you want it to fuse with the cap.

I can't draw a final conclusion to how well this lasts over time since I did this for the first time about 3 days ago.
But I started making a full set for testing.

Here is a picture of what it looks like when you rub of the toner with some acetone (which will dissolve the toner).
There is no way you could get more wear then this, but how long it takes to get to this point by using them the normal way I can't say atm.

(Attachment Link)

Just print a keycap with a black pattern (uniformly spaced stripes) and then cut it. You'll see how deep the colour goes.

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 13:50:42 »
another cool thing to try is powder coating paint, with this you have plenty of colors to choose from and I think it works kinda like toner, it is heat cured so maybe the laser could make a good job on printing the details, also its very fine powder too.

good call, have to see where I can get some tiny amounts but yes same principle, should work. Also one could premelt it with a laser and than bake it for a better finish.

Just print a keycap with a black pattern (uniformly spaced stripes) and then cut it. You'll see how deep the colour goes.

Ok I tried it but penetration is almost not there, an also wear dose not only depend on how deep it penetrates but how resistant the coating is to mechanical erosion. Also you could get a thicker coating by just repeating the process or getting a thicker initial layer of pigment (maybe by using static attraction).
However here is a picture of a cut keycap under my crappy USB-Microscope. When I find the time I might try again on a proper microscope at university.
197668-0

In other news: I switched my process to a vector based in LaserWeb 4.0 and this gets rid of the jagged edges and gives a much cleaner result.
197670-1

Anyways since the keyboard is now fully decked out with self printed caps we will see how long that lasts.
Just to make sure: I don't claim to have invented "the best" process. It's an pretty easy way to do something like that at home. Nothing more, nothing less  ;)

Offline T14

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 14:22:19 »
It is a freaking thing of beauty  :thumb:

I'll need to see if my local hackerspace has anything resembling the hardware needed for this process. Oh, the possibilities!
-T14
Autocorrect is my worst enema.

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 15:56:14 »
all you need is a laser and even on made from an old cd burner diode would have enough power ;) On a CO2 laser you might need to go very fast and with minimum power to not evaporate the pigments but that's what a makerspace should have  ;D

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 01:25:36 »
Going deeper could involve heating a little bit the keycap, or using a little bit of solvent in the invested area (wait until it evaporates). Anyway there's no reason why this should last more than laser burnt keycap. Nice results, but sadly not durable, probably even with the suggested improvements.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 June 2018, 01:53:07 by Giorgio »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 01:59:19 »
197759-0

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 02:10:34 »
Try to mark super shiny plastic and try to use some of the commercially available pigments. No need to reinvent the wheel!

..."Leading suppliers of custom color and additive masterbatches for laser marking are Clariant and PolyOne."

Operating in an oxygen deprived setting could allow to reach higher temperatures and higher penetration without burning marks
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 June 2018, 02:24:18 by Giorgio »

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 07:43:45 »
hehe thx for your input :)
any meltable pigment will do the trick I think. I happen to have a friend working for clariant so I will ask him if he can arrange a tiny amount of the pigment... Problem is als with powder coating pigments, that I don't need kilos.

Operating in an oxygen deprived setting could allow to reach higher temperatures and higher penetration without burning marks

Shielding gas is a good idea but not that easy to do in my apartment ;)
Also the laser will not necessarily burn but even evaporate  the pigments

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 08:54:54 »
Thanks for your answer. Why don't you consider abs? It melts too easily?

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 16:10:52 »
ABS should work the same but I had a pile of cheap PBT blanks, so this is what I used for my first tests.

Offline DeTommie

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 02:28:18 »
In other news: I switched my process to a vector based in LaserWeb 4.0 and this gets rid of the jagged edges and gives a much cleaner result.

The vector-based approach has a stunning result. Well done!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 16:01:19 »
You could try to do a negative printing experiment.
Fill uniformly the surface of the keycap except the shape of the letter, which isn't printed.

Online fpazos

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 09:28:51 »
hahahaha I just read the thread, it is interesting how some people answered the same questions as me on the other thread. Good improvement using vectors.

I hope to join your experiments as soon as possible.

Talking about printing on plastic I also saw that you can dye it. Mostly using clothing dye mixed with acetone or just using heat, you can find some info just googleing it. It is more intended to dye entire parts rather than just printing something but maybe it has possibilities.

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 16:30:23 »
good idea, it might be possible to modify an incjet printer to print the dye directly onto the keycap.
Some thoughts on that:
- the coloring might not be intense enough
- I don't know if the color will bleed into the unprinted area
- coloring (as far as i know) only works with pbt caps

But that shall not mean it would not be worth trying ;)
Might give it a go when I ever finish my other projects :confused:

Online fpazos

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 11 September 2018, 01:05:41 »
Hi again!! I got some kaikh low profile keycaps for a keyboard on which I am working now. These are perfect for custom legends because they are made of a translucent plastic, covered with a thin color surface (black or white). So you can add legends using laser ablation or just sanding the surface.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 September 2018, 01:17:11 by fpazos »