Author Topic: Tenkeyless keyboard for HD monitor  (Read 15509 times)

Offline sordna

Keyboard for 16:9 monitor
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 16:57:20 »
What about the BTC Emprex keyboard you posted in page 1 of this thread? It's just $19.95, just get it then report back if it doesn't work for you.
http://www.amazon.com/BTC-Emprex-space-saving-keyboard/dp/B001IZM9L4
Whoa, amazon has a ton of mini keyboards, look at this for $17 (probably scissor):
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Slim-Keyboard-Windows-Vista/dp/B003PHJJV6/
great reviews too.
Or do a search for "mini usb keyboard" on amazon, and you'll find several others. Rubber domes are cheap, not worth discussing at such lengths, just get one, if it doesn't worktry another one, etc.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline bonheur

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 17:24:44 »
You're right, Sorna. I'm sorry this thread got so long, but on the positive side I've learned a lot of things and I'm sure other people will benefit from this as well.

Going back to the compact keyboards, are there any made with full-size keys only? With a large space bar, not a tiny one. I'm basically looking for a tenkeyless rubber dome keyboard. But I'm finding lots of things except a tenkeyless rubber dome KB. I found lots of mini keyboards (that's different than a compact or tenkeyless kb) with several shortcomings like half-width keys or very narrow space bars for which I have no use.

One last question, does anyone know this keyboard:http://www.laptop-ac-adapter.org/ibm-usb-keyboard-us-international-with-2port-usb-hub-10k3847-p-2597.html  ? Is it really from IBM? So far, it's the only keyboard I've found with the US International layout printed on the keys.

Thank you in advance.

Offline sordna

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 17:45:04 »
Well, a google search for tenkeyless rubber dome keyboard yields ... geekhack, talking about the "HP mini keyboard"!
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?13735-HP-tenkeyless-*rubber-dome*&p=269241

Amazon sells it too:
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Mini-Keyboard-Keyboard-USB/dp/B0025ZSBNG
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 18:59:25 »
Quote from: sordna;338225
Surprisingly, the Samsung N510 11.6" netbook has a GREAT scissor keyboard (to me better than macbooks).

Never touched the N510, but you reminded me the N150 I had for some time.

Its KB was great, and its KB was the main reason for choosing it, instead of any usual acer, asus, and lookalike.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 19:12:21 »
Quote from: theferenc;338236
Well, sure, but I happen to have two of the most popular non-chicklet style keyboards sitting next to me, and they happen to be quite noisy, especially by rubber dome standards. The MS Ergo is actually louder than my HHKB, as well as my Dell. And those AEKII rubber dampers really silence the hell out of an ALPS switch, especially if you remove the click leaf. Without the click leaf, they are essentially a linear switch, and I would assume somewhere between black and red in terms of feel. And almost entirely silent.

I haven't any dell KB at home, and the only MS one is the X6, which is really crap to type on but is waaay more silent than my xarmor (beige switches) even if compared on the silenced keys (a couple with the clear silicone o-rings, a couple with the rubber foam, a couple wit synthetic foam).

I silenced those keys just to experiment a bit: i like the Xarmor sound (more pleasant than other mechs), and I don't have a "noisy" wife.

I think that the main reason because the mechs are more noisier its not just in the switches theirself but in the whole KB construction: harder plastics, more metal, an empty space between the plate and the pcb versus the rubberdome ones where the rubber foil its a sound dampener and there isn't the empty space that act as a resonating chamber.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline sordna

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 19:27:03 »
Quote from: The Solutor;338331
Never touched the N510, but you reminded me the N150 I had for some time.

Its KB was great, and its KB was the main reason for choosing it, instead of any usual acer, asus, and lookalike.

N510 has some nice features for a netbook (2GB/HDMI/ION) but SUCKS for linux. Acer/Asus netbooks play much better for linux (wireless/brightness/volume keys/etc play out of the box), but have crappy keyboards. Argh.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 19:56:31 »
Quote from: The Solutor;338187

There is also a minority of rubber domes that are noisy (and usually noisy on a rubber dome mean also poor built and not pleasant to type on), but they are a minority, an exception.

Not true. RT7D5JTW Dell Quietkeys and Keytronics are some of the best rubber domes out there and they're very noisy boards.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 20:05:40 »
Quote from: Pylon;338375
Not true. RT7D5JTW Dell Quietkeys and Keytronics are some of the best rubber domes out there and they're very noisy boards.

Never touched none of them so I can't speak about these two keyboards, btw I wrote "usually" and not "always" for a reason.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 April 2011, 21:41:46 by The Solutor »

Offline Mazora

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 21:30:23 »
MX-reds ^^

Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;338190
@ The Solutor

Clearly you've never used a AEKII or one with those dampened sliders. The dampened part is literally rubber. That's why I traded him my rubber sliders, because I didn't like how silent it was, or the reminiscent feel of domes. Its also black alps, so only tactile. Tis quite quiet.

Not possible. If you did it, it would just become a linear switch. Look at the cherry switches wiki. The way they make the bump and/or the click is the same way it does stuff in the other direction.
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline bonheur

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 22:03:59 »
Which one of the following compact keyboards would you pick up and why?

BTC Emprex 5139
BTC 6100
Genius LM-i200

I'm considering the IBM P/N 10K3847 and the HP Mini-Keyboard as well, but right now I only need to know what the differences are among the above three compact keyboards. Main use touch typing and quiet'n'smooth operation is appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone try to imitate the use of colors of the Amstrad CPC 464 keyboard but with a modern tenkeyless keyboard?

|cpm