Author Topic: Successor to the MX518: The G400  (Read 43313 times)

Offline Aznguyen316

Successor to the MX518: The G400
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 08 August 2011, 03:42:56 »
I saw the G400 at Best Buy.  It was on sale for $39.99, $10 off.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 22:38:41 »
That's a great deal. It's definitely my favorite mouse so far.

Offline Stardust

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 17:02:22 »
Hi everybody,

I got the G400 today... I don't game... I intend to use this mouse with 3D applications, mainly modeling. To my disappointment, despite all the glamorous reviews, I realized that it is next to impossible to move the pointer in a straight line at an angle. I know it’s a built in feature… but sweet Mother of Christ!

Is there anything that can be done about this; any hack at all? Also, as a side note, I just can’t seem to be able to install the Logitech gaming software (XP sp3).
Is this snapping behavior something I have to live with? If so, tomorrow, this mouse goes right back! No kidding!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 August 2011, 17:05:39 by Stardust »

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 17:16:40 »
Angle snapping is build in, or are you talking about the jitter from installing the software?

Offline Stardust

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 17:33:23 »
I'm talking about angle snapping. I don't have the software installed.
How can people call this mouse precise, when trying to move the cursor at a 45 degree angle, the pointer has basically a mind of its own; it stair-steps instead of following a straight trajectory. Moving the cursor horizontally or vertically works perfectly.

Offline Stardust

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 18:16:27 »
Oh well... upon further reading I’m beginning to get a clearer picture. It looks like I’m not the first to whine about this. Furthermore, the issue goes back to the “legendary” MX518…

I hope I’m not offending any fans of this particular mouse. Also, I don’t claim to have a very good understanding of the gaming world. But to me, a mouse that tracks accurately has to give on screen a true representation of the physical movement, just like my wacom stylus does. This mouse simply fails to do so!

Please forgive me for venting here. Otherwise, I really like the mouse, even without the accompanying software.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 August 2011, 19:14:41 by Stardust »

Offline Skylit

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 21:08:01 »
Quote from: Stardust;404557
Oh well... upon further reading I’m beginning to get a clearer picture. It looks like I’m not the first to whine about this. Furthermore, the issue goes back to the “legendary” MX518…

I hope I’m not offending any fans of this particular mouse. Also, I don’t claim to have a very good understanding of the gaming world. But to me, a mouse that tracks accurately has to give on screen a true representation of the physical movement, just like my wacom stylus does. This mouse simply fails to do so!

Please forgive me for venting here. Otherwise, I really like the mouse, even without the accompanying software.

What mouse were you using prior to the G400?

Angle snapping/prediction/correction on mice is very common and it wasn't until the last couple years that sensor companies started making "prediction/correction" free sensors. You could very well have been using a mouse with prediction, although it might have not been to the same extent as the G400's.

Quote from: Stardust;404542
I'm talking about angle snapping. I don't have the software installed.
How can people call this mouse precise, when trying to move the cursor at a 45 degree angle, the pointer has basically a mind of its own; it stair-steps instead of following a straight trajectory. Moving the cursor horizontally or vertically works perfectly.

Wait what? Stair steps? Care to draw an example in paint? It shouldn't be doing that at a 45 degree angle like you described.

« Last Edit: Wed, 24 August 2011, 21:12:24 by Skylit »

Offline Stardust

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 22:01:32 »
Currently I'm using an ancient generic Microsoft mouse; probably 7 years old. It has outdated dpi range, mediocre ergonomics (but after all this time it became second nature to me), but quite accurate.
Regarding the "stair-stepping", that went away after uninstalling the gaming software, which oddly installed ok, but it would give me a runtime-error every time I tried to open it. In other words I couldn't use it, at all.

Now, it seems that I'm in a better place as far as the behavior of the mouse goes, but still, the slightly perceptible prediction bothers me. Also I would like to lower the polling rate to 500, which can only be done in software. If I could only disable the prediction, that would make me a happy camper.

Offline Stardust

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 22:20:49 »
Thank you Skylit!

My G400 behaves just like yours. I feel better now. However, the set-in-stone prediction, and the gaming software --unusable for me-- it's all very disappointing. Yes, I knew about the prediction, but I hopped that wouldn't be a big deal. I'll do my best to give it a second chance, maybe I could get used to it.

Offline TOZZIL

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 13:24:04 »
I had bought a g400 from "mediamarkt" (big electronics shop here in germany) couple of days ago for 33 €.
The same time I bought a cm storm spawn from amazon for 39 € .
I tried both these mice and comparing the two, the g400 really sucked bum!
It had huge, and I mean HUGE prediction, that straightened lines extremely. The shape was OK to me, but nothing more.
The spawn was (as shown out by skylit and other guys at esr, big thx to you!) perfect about the sensor, no prediction, no accel at any dpi.
And as I am a pretty stereotype clawgripper I liked its shape over the g400's; the spawn is actually really small but nevertheless very comfortable to hold for medium size hands.
So, I sold the G400 and kept the spawn and am really happy now :D
BTW: where is your ringfinger when u hold an mx518/g400? over this little edge, underneath it or across (like I held it automatically: uncomfortable :C ) that lip?
But if you liked your mx518 and ruled with it, the g400 will do for you.

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Raptor Gaming K1 with GhettoReds

Offline Stardust

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 15:51:54 »
@TOZZIL
Interesting that you mentioned the CM Storm Spawn. It’s actually the mouse I’ve been researching extensively ever since I got the G400, as a possible replacement…

However, its small size (length) worries me a bit. I have fairly large hands I would say; long-skinny fingers (I’m a piano player also). Even so, I actually tend to finger tip my mouse as I feel it gives me much more accuracy while doing CG work (I don’t game). Also, from what I understand, the Spawn is still problematic at 800dpi (even with the latest 32 firmware) since this mouse (sensor) was never designed to work natively at 800dpi, but rather at 1800dpi and up.

Regarding my ring finger position, it sits right by the right button, on the black rubberized lip. I’ve never owned or used the MX518. Also, I feel most comfortable at 800-1000 dpi.

How does the spawn's scroll wheel compare to G400; harder to press?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 August 2011, 16:40:49 by Stardust »

Offline TOZZIL

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 04:05:22 »
The small size also worried me a lot before i touched it. For example I hate the shape of the g9, that feels just wrong and too small.
But the shape of the spawn is way better imo, it's pretty wide which I think makes it comfortable to use, while it is still short.
As I said I think i have medium sized hands and have no problems at all touching this mouse; it fits perfectly when I claw-grip it.
For longer fingers and fingertipping I think it'll work fine.
And I didnt like the g400's shape, because I found it to be too long to claw-/fingertip-grip it.

I didn't feel any problems at 800 dpi, though I usually use it at higher dpi. I even leave it at 3500 dpi now and turned windows sens down to 4, so on the desktop it feels like 1750 dpi, which is a likely speed. I have it screwed up to 3200 dpi for gaming, where I use a very low in-game sensitivity, so it results in real mid-sense.
So, if you think 800 is problematic or unstable you can still use the higher dpi levels and tune the sensitivity softwareside.

I think the spawn's scrollwheel is a tad harder to press, but not that much that I remember especially. But the extra buttons under the scroll wheel have a so much better feeling than the buttons over and under the g400's scrollwheel. They feel really wobbly, dont they?

I found it impossible to keep my ringfinger in this position, though the mouse is probably made to be held like that. My finger always slipped down to the side, where it pushed on that lip and gave me pain.

Regards

Offline Stardust

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 07:25:34 »
@TOZZIL
Thank you for your thoughts. I think I'm going to order this mouse. If I can't get used to it I'll keep the g400 and just wait till the next "mind-blowing" mouse comes out.

Offline TOZZIL

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 07:46:32 »
Alright, good luck with the spawn.
Have you already had a look at razer's deathadder? A good mouse as well ;)
No problem :)