Author Topic: Sidewinder x4 for $23.22 or BlackWidow Ultimate for $89.99  (Read 3677 times)

Offline dreadful

Sidewinder x4 for $23.22 or BlackWidow Ultimate for $89.99
« on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 17:06:13 »
(Full disclosure posted this on overclock.net first,but the statement holds true. Figured I should post it there first since this is on lower end keyboards )

I want to start by saying I love the site. I have been lurking around for awhile now trying to find the right keyboard to buy.

After lots of looking I had decided I wanted a mechanical keyboard back lit with browns (XArmor U9BL-S ), but then decided I didn't want to spend too much on a keyboard since I have been spending a lot on electronics lately. Also heard that bad things about XArmor's quality control and customer support and didn't feel like taking the risk.

Decided to get a sidewinder x4 because of it's bang for your buck praise. Was about to order when I saw the BlackWidow Ultimate was marked down to $110 with free one day shipping.

Right now I have $20 game credit on Amazon and the choices are
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate w/ 1 day shipping for $89.99 shipped or
Sidewinder x4 w/ SSS(5-8 day) for $23.22 shipped

I know a lot of people don't like the Razer and that it has blues instead of browns, but can't make up my mind if I should get it or not I kinda feel like mechanical anything has to be better than rubber dome, but I'm also unsure if the Razer is worth the price difference with the problems they have.

Thanks for any help

Offline placebo guy

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 17:16:38 »
The spacebar on the Sidewinder x4 is utterly crap.  It's too flat.

Go with the BlackWidow Ultimate, or maybe the Sidewinder x6.  The Sidewinder x6 has the same spacebar, but at least the num key can be removed.
Leopold TKL MXRed; RF 103U 55G; WASD MXBlack; Unicomp Spacesaver; AT101W; RK-9000 Blue; various Filco

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 17:16:48 »
wlcm 2 gh.

just buy it already
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 17:22:39 »
Get the BWU. I wouldn't even bother with the Sidewinder

Offline Lester

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 17:23:53 »
Or maybe a plu 87 from ebay?

Offline jpz

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 17:39:26 »
Honestly u have to ask your self if u like the clicky noise of the blackwidow.  Personally i dont like the noise because to me it would get really annoying after a while.  Some people really like the noise and greater feed back that the keyboard gives you.  Personally i am really happy about my choice to pick das keyboard with cherry browns.  I really like the solid feel of the keyboard and how the keys feel solid when u press them down.  The keyboard is all based upon your personal opinion.  You could justify it to yourself by saying that the mechanical keyboard will last a lot longer than the x4 and in the long run you will be saving yourself money.
AMD Black Edition-AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz Processor, 4 GB ddr2 800, AMD Radeon HD 6950, CoolerMaster Storm Sniper case, 1Tb hard drive

Dell AT101W | Razer DeathAdder 3500 | SteelSeries QcK mini - Mouse pad | Logitech S510 | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline gl0ry

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 18:54:59 »
You want to be cool?  Get a mechanical keyboard.

Offline dreadful

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 19:26:42 »
Went ahead and got the razer I figure if it's as bad as some people say it is I can just return it. Thanks for the replies
@glory Don't really care about being cool just want a keyboard that doesn't suck.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 19:36:31 »
you've never said if you liked or didn't like blues lol, guess you'll find out.

Offline dreadful

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 20:03:25 »
No idea if I will like the blue or not never been able to try any of the mx switches.  FWIR brown's sounded the best to me , but I'm will to give blues a try.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 21:47:01 »
Couple of my buddies have the BW (non-ultimate version). They love 'em. Now, they're not drinking the keyboard lemonade like I am, but every time I've tried one out, they seem to be pretty good quality. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Offline whocares1195

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 21:55:34 »
Quote from: dreadful;361429
No idea if I will like the blue or not never been able to try any of the mx switches.  FWIR brown's sounded the best to me , but I'm will to give blues a try.

It won't matter now. As soon as you touch a mechanical keyboard you're gonna want to try/have the other switches. You'll probably be wanting a cherry brown board within a month or two. I have two of the most hated mechanical keyboards around; the BlackWidow Ultimate and the Xarmor U9BL-S. Both of which have been working great so far other than a broken keycap on the BWU which Razer quickly took care of (they sent me a new keycap free of charge).

I now have a Filco 104-key Cherry Red on the way and have my eyes set on a Choc Mini or Poker board to carry around. I'm just waiting to see on whether I like the red or brown switch more.
Filco Majestouch-2 Linear R (Cherry MX Red)
Xarmor U9BL-S (Cherry MX Brown)
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline dreadful

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 22:27:33 »
That didn't last long ended up canceling. Thought about it some more and realized that if I got blues I was just gonna end up wishing I got browns . I have the same problem with headphone I'm always looking for something better. Figured I should just skip the bs and get the browns now. And if I have to give up on back lit  I guess I can just deal with it or find a way to mod around it.  Sorry for the what I guess now is a pointless thread.

Offline whocares1195

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 03:14:21 »
Quote from: dreadful;361520
That didn't last long ended up canceling. Thought about it some more and realized that if I got blues I was just gonna end up wishing I got browns . I have the same problem with headphone I'm always looking for something better. Figured I should just skip the bs and get the browns now. And if I have to give up on back lit  I guess I can just deal with it or find a way to mod around it.  Sorry for the what I guess now is a pointless thread.

If you want backlit, I would still recommend the Xarmor U9BL-S if you want the browns.  My U9BL-S has been working great so far (knock on wood).  It has been my daily driver since I got it close to two or so months ago and I try to leave the LEDs on at night everyday to see if the LEDs will hang and not go out on me and they've been going strong.  I love the brown switches but I have this big itch to see if the reds will be even better.  My BWU has just been sitting in my closet but it is a good keyboard still in my opinion.
Filco Majestouch-2 Linear R (Cherry MX Red)
Xarmor U9BL-S (Cherry MX Brown)
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate (Cherry MX Blue)