Author Topic: IBM 5576-A01 springs and Lexmark parts.  (Read 2303 times)

Offline merumeru

IBM 5576-A01 springs and Lexmark parts.
« on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 11:51:00 »
I've come into possession of an IBM 5576-A01 and am looking to find some springs for it. It seems like the previous owner was in a rush to clean it before shipping it out so some of the keys needed to be pulled off and spring positions adjusted. I was able to get most of the keys that were acting up functioning again but while attempting to re-seat the Enter key I ended up stretching the spring (it got caught in the key plastics, that was frustrating...). If anyone has a broken A01 that they wouldn't mind parting with, or knows if any other keyboards have springs I can use interchangeably with the A01, I would appreciate it.

Secondly, I was wondering if anyone has spare parts for a Lexmark Model M keyboard. I won't have the model on me until I get home but the controller board is a very light tan and accepts a 4 pin JST connector for the built-in cable. The same controller board also has an alternate version that accepts a detachable cable but I wasn't lucky enough to find that one. Though I'm only looking for a cable for it, if anyone happens to have the detachable connector version of the same controller board I think you would be my new hero. Even more so if you would be willing to sell me it with a cable.

I also have the pinout of that JST connector if anyone wants it. I had to adapt it to a 5 pin Molex (for a cheap cable from Digi-Key) to continue using the keyboard until I find a new cable.

Thanks for the highly informational site, by the way. Long time reader, first time poster.

Edit: I wasn't sure if this belongs in the classifieds section so I apologize if I got the section wrong.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 June 2011, 11:53:35 by merumeru »

Offline aremizu

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 June 2011, 16:15:42 »
The key switch of IBM 5576-A01 was made by the enterprise in Japan named Brother Industries, Ltd..

Similarly, it is JIS array though the keyboard that adopts the same key switch includes the keyboard of 5576-003.
Brother is not making this switch now, and I think that it is impossible to obtain ASCII version. :<

I think that it is difficult to obtain it out of Japan though the cable for 5576 series IBM keyboard should have been able to be used for the connection with the computer.
http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s220540135

Offline aremizu

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 June 2011, 16:19:07 »
I have the possibility of doing the post that English is inconvenient, and unrelated.
sorry.

Offline merumeru

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 June 2011, 22:00:24 »
Thank you for your information. I will try to find a 5576-A01 or 5576-003 for parts but they are not very common on Yahoo! Auctions Japan. Aside from the broken spring, my 5576-A01 works just fine. I like the JIS layout and I believe it is of higher build quality than my Lexmark Model M.

The wire that I am searching for is for the Lexmark Model M, not the 5576-A01. The original wire on the Model M was in quite bad condition when I bought it so as a temporary fix I bought a new wire from Digi-Key and made an adapter out of spare parts. The Model M works with this wire, but it would be better if I had a real replacement part. I will continue looking for it.

Do not worry too much about your English and thank you again for the information. The information about the 5576-A01 was exactly what I was looking for.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 June 2011, 05:03:11 »
Unicomp may have a suitable cable if you ask them about a particular keyboard part number.

Probably not going to find a 5576-A01 spring anywhere though.

Offline merumeru

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 June 2011, 10:00:13 »
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try contacting them about it and see what they say. Even if they don't have built-in cables I might just modify one of the mini-DINs. Sparkfun has all the parts I need as far as Molex and JST connectors go, thankfully.

As far as the spring goes, I'll just have to watch Yahoo! Auctions Japan until another keyboard pops up. In the meantime, I'm ordering some new springs for my model M and as the model M and A01 seem to have a similar coil length and internal diameter, I might try modifying my own spring for the Enter key. At a dollar for 10 springs, I might as well try.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 June 2011, 10:09:15 »
Given how expensive those things usually are, I'm not sure how much sense it makes to buy one as spare parts for another, unless you happen to find a dead one.

I want to get a -003 one of these days, not sure if I want to go through the hassle of dealing with various middle men.

Modifying springs has never really proved too successful btw, there's a lot of non-obvious physics involved in making sure the springs buckle properly. Trying to chop bits off the spring or whatnot will likely just render the spring useless.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 June 2011, 10:18:28 by ch_123 »

Offline merumeru

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 June 2011, 10:37:31 »
I like the keys and quality of the A01 and if the 003 comes with the same switches then I'd like to see how it measures up. If either of them pops up on Yahoo! Auctions Japan before the JIS + Kana + Black switches Majestouch 2 is restocked at Diatech then I might grab it just because I've badly needed a new keyboard at work for quite some time.

Regarding the A01, the last time I felt similar keys, they were connected to an old Northgate 386 which came with a couple pounds of metal that just happened to also function as a keyboard. All other keyboards since that one have felt light in comparison. Unfortunately though, I was only 12 or so at the time and I couldn't quite justify keeping a keyboard I could no longer use to my parents.

Regarding the importing middle men though, I've just updated the Japan section of the WorldWide Shopping wiki entry with the importers that I have used/currently use.

The one that I've found to be the most convenient overall has been Goody-Japan. You pay for the item, sans shipping, with a deposit when you provide them the link to purchase the item (on their site). The next time you hear from them they invoice you the price of fees and international shipping and that's it. Provided it's not out of stock, they'll generally handle everything else without needing input from you. I prefer them over Noppin because Noppin requires too much input from you in order to get simple shopping orders done.

Edit: As far as the springs go, I don't really have many other options. I've already read about the effects you speak of (where even the orientation when attached can affect the ability of the spring to flex when compressing) so I figure 1 dollar for 10 tries is worth it considering importing another keyboard would be another 100~ dollars minimum. At the very least, it can't hurt.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 June 2011, 10:44:22 by merumeru »