Author Topic: Leopold Distribution in Australia  (Read 5169 times)

Offline Hydroid

• http://justin.tv/hydr0id
Leopold Distribution in Australia
« on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 21:29:37 »
When I was looking on Leopold's Japanese site and saw that they are looking for distributors I struck on an idea. I could take up distribution in Australia if there is enough interest. So I've just sent them an e-mail to find out more information and get a better idea on how it would work. But now I have a question for all of you. How many of you live in Australia and would be interested in buying a Leopold if they were available here? It would obviously be pointless for me to sign up to distribute if nobody is interested in buying. In theory I guess I could do international shipping, however for those of you in the US and Europe you might be just as well off buying a single board directly. I think I might also see if things might work out better to just be a middle distributor and supply existing computer stores if there is any interest there.
Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz | Corsair H50 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX 460 SLI
OCZ 60GB SSD | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda RAID-0 | Samsung Blu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX-850W | 2x BenQ G2420HD 24"

Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue | Ducky DK9008(B) Blue | Qsenn DT-35 Black PS/2 Rubber Dome |2x Razer Lycosa USB | Microsoft 500 PS/2

Help me support and grow e-sports below!!!
What Happens in Starcraft -- Vlogs -- Twitter

Offline PlayerZero

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 21:48:56 »
I'm in fatland (USA) so I can get Leopolds easily through EK (when they come back in stock...) but just a warning, from what I know, computer stores probably aren't going to want mech boards because they are so expensive, unless it's an area with a ton of GHers to create a market.  It sucks, but it's life for now.
Extensive research has found your statement to be of inferior quality.  Please revise it.

KEYBOARD:  Leopold FC200RC/AB with Cherry MX Blues
MOUSE:  Logitech G400

Geekhack:  A wiki is worth 1000 threads.

Offline Hydroid

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 22:45:05 »
lol, I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about "Be careful when Quacking with the competition."

I doubt it would ever pick up to a big pace, but it would be nice if I can get it going enough for it to work as a reliable source for Leopold to those of us downunder. I'm sure I could sell a few to friends of mine, but not enough for a bulk order alone. So this is really just a gauge of response to see if there would be sufficient interest. I think it would run more like iMav's KBC Poker orders.
Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz | Corsair H50 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX 460 SLI
OCZ 60GB SSD | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda RAID-0 | Samsung Blu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX-850W | 2x BenQ G2420HD 24"

Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue | Ducky DK9008(B) Blue | Qsenn DT-35 Black PS/2 Rubber Dome |2x Razer Lycosa USB | Microsoft 500 PS/2

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 22:48:47 »
You could probably be a distributor and also consider selling to the E-tailers that are currently selling keyboards as well.

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 23:30:16 »
Well, I'm currently using an Archiss and live in Vic. Would love to have a Leopold distributor here that I can purchase future stuff from leopold!
My life for Aiur!

Offline Xibal

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 23:48:45 »
How much would you be charging, you'll have to charge close to what mechkeyboards are charging. In addition you'll be competing with auspcmarket which sell the G2 flicos, the das and those "gaming" mech keyboards from Tt eSPORTS and of course the Zowie Celeritas.

Offline What is X?

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 00:38:59 »
There was a thread on here before about an aus keyboard distributor who may or may not have been selling leopolds. Just a heads up.

Also, I wouldn't buy one unless they're cheap, which I highly doubt.

Offline Hydroid

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 00:51:59 »
My plan isn't to turn this into a successful business. I just happen to have enough time and want to see if people would want a Leopold distributor. So chances are I'll be reselling them at little or no profit for myself. The price will all come down to what Leopold charges me to get the boards here + shipping out to each person.

@What is X? - I'd like to see that thread if you have a link. Obviously if they already have an australian distributor then my purpose is null and void. But my main idea is to get Leopolds more freely available in Australia so that they can possible stand up to the other brands out there that already have distributors.

Offline Xibal

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 01:03:13 »
The only thread (that I have seen) about an aus distributor here was from the guy running mechkeyboards so I think you'll be the first

Offline johndoe

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 01:22:12 »
Quote from: Xibal;363792
How much would you be charging, you'll have to charge close to what mechkeyboards are charging. In addition you'll be competing with auspcmarket which sell the G2 flicos, the das and those "gaming" mech keyboards from Tt eSPORTS and of course the Zowie Celeritas.

Would have to agree. Although Auspcmarket prices are high for most things so probably beatable.

Im a fullsize keyboard guy so i could be interested once non-red switches exist on leopolds and when my Xarmor breaks, depends on price and specs (i havent studied leopolds yet). On the other hand your competition for red switches would be a red switch ducky and red filco 1 which i fink is too expensive anyway.
Filco might be the only TKL in Aus right now, so if u beat Auspcmarket u would be cheapest TKL i fink. So potential for sales there.

Offline mechkeyboards

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 08:05:29 »
Quote from: ripster;363743
Great idea.  Watch out for that Ducky distributor, MechKeyboards.

He may come over and Quack your head.

Or Rubber you out.

Or Duck tape you to your keyboard.

He may not even spend years in prison for this but get early release for good Con-Duck.

That is if he doesn't get Not Guilty for his Daffy Mental State.

Claiming he quacked under the pressure.

So don't be a sitting duck.

Keep on waddling.

You always quack me up Ripster.

While I haven't posted for a while (due to lack of anything exciting), we've been waddling along steadily. We've been working with Leopold for a few months now to distribute their keyboards in Australia. Shipments are starting to arrive and more info will be released on our site soon.

Offline Xibal

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 08:51:54 »
what about the G2 duckies, any news on them or are you waiting for the your current stock of duckies to clear out first?

Offline Hydroid

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 09:35:35 »
Quote from: mechkeyboards;363933
You always quack me up Ripster.

While I haven't posted for a while (due to lack of anything exciting), we've been waddling along steadily. We've been working with Leopold for a few months now to distribute their keyboards in Australia. Shipments are starting to arrive and more info will be released on our site soon.

Awesome! Once finances allow I'll be looking to get a Leopold through you after you get them then. I was pleased with my Ducky purchase from you.

Offline muck

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 11:16:37 »
its been said on another forum, that ian (mechkeyboards) will be distributing leopolds.

Offline Hydroid

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 19:26:12 »
Yes, that has been established in the last couple of posts.

Offline Alec Cys

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 06:36:43 »
Quote from: Hydroid;363825
My plan isn't to turn this into a successful business. I just happen to have enough time and want to see if people would want a Leopold distributor. So chances are I'll be reselling them at little or no profit for myself. The price will all come down to what Leopold charges me to get the boards here + shipping out to each person. @What is X? - I'd like to see that thread if you have a link. Obviously if they already have an australian distributor then my purpose is null and void. But my main idea is to get Leopolds more freely available in Australia so that they can possible stand up to the other brands out there that already have distributors.

Hey Hydroid, I'm from Aus as well (brissy). Re: interest in Leopold: *yes please, over here*.
I asked mechkeyboard.com back on 20 June, at the time their ETA was middle of July, current ETA is now end of July. Kinda too bad since if its available this week it would make a perfect present for someone I know next week.
If you look at the Whirlpool forum, there are definite interests from several people (who posted).
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1632416

Quote from: Xibal;363792
AusPCMarket and their Filcos are bit overpriced IMO, but their pricing is in line with all of their other products .. kinda like Harvey Norman prices.
Their prices for Das Keyboards have dropped a little since another retailer have started selling Das at a cheaper price.

Offline Xibal

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 08:12:55 »
that may be the case, but they are the only distributor of filcos unless you use those taobo chinese websites and order it online.

Offline Hydroid

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 08:13:20 »
Unfortunately Mechkeyboards has already been doing all the correspondence and got the orders down, so even if I was to order it wouldn't arrive until long after MechKeyboards had theirs anyway. I also wouldn't want to take business away from MK because I just want someone to be providing leopolds here in Australia which they seem to be doing nicely. I will be buying one or two through them in a few months.

Offline Alec Cys

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 08:57:51 »
Yes I agree he is doing a fine job with his keyboard business. The intention of my post is to show that there are definite interests in the Leopold.