Author Topic: Laptops with mech keyboards  (Read 5220 times)

Offline Lester

Laptops with mech keyboards
« on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 09:58:31 »
Does anyone know if there exist any laptops with mechanical keyboard build in?

Offline fullofenergy

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 10:32:15 »
i think that laptop would be thicker than a regular mech keyboard lol

Offline Keyboard search

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 10:35:20 »
Quote from: fullofenergy;364684
i think that laptop would be thicker than a regular mech keyboard lol

Thats fine with me, they can make it as thick as it needs to be
I use my modded Kinesis Advantage (Black).  It has a Kinesis numpad between the halves.

Offline Lester

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 10:54:19 »
Quote from: Keyboard search;364687
Thats fine with me, they can make it as thick as it needs to be
:D

Offline sam113101

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 12:22:05 »
I don't think there are any. I will make one someday, it will be PCB-mounted (for weight reasons).
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 12:48:11 »
Not a laptop but the re-release of the Commodore 64 will have Blue switches. It's more portable than a normal computer but you still need to bring a monitor. It seems like it would make more sense to just buy the smallest form factor mechanical keyboard like a KBC Poker and use it with your standard laptop.

Keychron Q6 GATERON G PRO YELLOW
Vortex Pok3r CHERRY MX RED
Das Keyboard Model S CHERRY MX BLUE
IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 13:03:46 »
Quote from: Atenacius;364779
Not a laptop but the re-release of the Commodore 64 will have Blue switches. It's more portable than a normal computer but you still need to bring a monitor. It seems like it would make more sense to just buy the smallest form factor mechanical keyboard like a KBC Poker and use it with your standard laptop.

QFT. My pokers are definitely going to be my portables. Even more than my TKL's

Offline sordna

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 13:10:20 »
I doubt anyone will want to drag a monitor to a coffee shop. Yeah, a monitor, a tenkeyless, a mouse, and a commodore 64. And a power strip, cables, etc.
I find it silly enough to see folks carrying mice in their pockets because they never bothered to get used to the touchpad/trackpoint of their netbook.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline sordna

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 13:20:55 »
We're in the same country Ripster.
By the way I find this rather silly too, spending a ton of cash for an ipad / case / keyboard and essentially convert it into a lousy netbook with a very restrictive OS and 2 batteries to worry about keeping charged, when you can buy a nice regular netbook for $300 bucks instead. I like tablets, keyboards, mice, netbooks, and use them all, but each has its own place.

« Last Edit: Tue, 21 June 2011, 13:23:34 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 13:29:21 »
That's the key...everything has it's place.

I'm not a 'sit in a coffee shop and compute' type of person, except maybe here and there when traveling. Maybe I'd do it if more hot chicks did it :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline sam113101

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 13:36:08 »
Steve Jobs said "netbooks aren't good at anything, they just are cheaper laptops".
Then I closed the video.

When something is well done, we say it's a good job. When something is done horribly, we say it's a steve job.

Someone should start a thread about apple jokes.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 June 2011, 15:21:27 by sam113101 »

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 13:41:00 »
actually there are / were laptops with mech boards.
There is an old series of Toshiba laptop that used low profile alps switches, as well as several laptops with Cherry ML switches. Sixty owns one of the toshiba boards iirc.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline sam113101

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 13:47:50 »
I heard ML switches are bad. I'd want a recent laptop with brown cherries, that would rock.

Offline sordna

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 14:04:01 »
A laptop with MX cherries would probably be too thick. There are some keyboards with really nice scissor switches, that are way better than desktop membrane keyboards. That's your best bet. Some Samsung laptops for instance have very nice keyboards. When I need a new laptop / netbook I usually go to a big store and try all the laptop keyboards out, that's a good way to narrow down the selection!

Offline theferenc

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 14:28:56 »
I would pick up one of the Asus EP121 tablets and just carry a keyboard with it. When you don't have the keyboard, you still have a full OS, touch, and pen input. I do this with an old Motion Computing tablet all the time, it works super well.

Also, not sure about all laptops, but my HHKB fits perfectly over the keyboard on my macbook pro.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline sordna

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 15:09:18 »
Quote from: sam113101;364816
Someone should start a thread about apple jokes.

Sam, can you please delete that image? I wouldn't want my kids to read that stuff, plus it's not even funny and rather NSFW. Thanks in advance.

Offline sam113101

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 15:20:56 »
I've seen pictures that were even more NSFW than that. They were real nudes and not just text. And yes, this IS*funny (not if you're an apple fanboi though). But that's okay, I'm going to remove it.

Offline sordna

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 15:40:23 »
Quote from: sam113101;364859
I've seen pictures that were even more NSFW than that. They were real nudes and not just text. And yes, this IS*funny (not if you're an apple fanboi though). But that's okay, I'm going to remove it.

A nude is much more acceptable than sick text like that. Anyway, thanks!

By the way, I never used Mac OS, (went from MS-DOS almost straight to Linux eons ago) but Apple turning around and coming up with OS X based on BSD was AMAZING. Lot's of Unix beards got Apple laptops when that happened. For me it's Linux > OSX > Windows as things stand today.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 June 2011, 15:44:38 by sordna »

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 16:00:03 »
I wouldn't be surprised if there were an old industrial laptop that has mech switches.  those low profile topre keys and MY switches must have been used somewhere practical...
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline sordna

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 16:20:01 »
Hmm, I think laptop keyboards are taking a bad direction lately. These chicklet keys suck. I can't understand why Apple even put chicklet keys on desktops these days, they are horrible. The old Macbook Pro's with the silver keys had a much better feel than the newer Apple laptop and desktop keyboards.
It's really sad when "form" / style is given higher priority over function.

Offline herfalerf

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 16:50:04 »
Quote from: sordna;364796
I doubt anyone will want to drag a monitor to a coffee shop. Yeah, a monitor, a tenkeyless, a mouse, and a commodore 64. And a power strip, cables, etc.
I find it silly enough to see folks carrying mice in their pockets because they never bothered to get used to the touchpad/trackpoint of their netbook.

i see this almost every time i walk into starbucks actually.  and for the record track pads are the worst invention ever and every laptop should have a mouse that docks into the side.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 17:27:18 »
Quote from: herfalerf;364903
...for the record track pads are the worst invention ever and every laptop should have a mouse that docks into the side.

Generally I agree. However, the Apple trackpad on it's laptops is actually pretty good. Although I do attribute that more to the OS handling of it and multi-touch features.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 20:10:15 »
Quote from: sordna;364868
A nude is much more acceptable than sick text like that. Anyway, thanks!

Did someone say nudes? Nudes are ok? My NSFW and not kid-safe contribution....but hopefully Sordna approved:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19389[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19390[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19391[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19392[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19393[/ATTACH]

Last but not least, my hero...Sir Branson
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19394[/ATTACH]

DISCLAIMER: It's all computer related :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 20:47:59 »
You get banned for nickels...I'll get banned for being a single male with good taste and a stupid sense of humor.

Offline sam113101

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 20:56:43 »
Can I post my picture back*? This seriously is a joke, text can't be NSFW.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 20:58:38 »
f - - -

sure it can....

* Edited somewhat due to serious reflection on such a tasteless post to make it more family friendly, yet retain the tastelessness originally intended. :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 June 2011, 23:40:04 by input nirvana »

Offline jpz

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 21:03:52 »
What did you say?  I top your **** with something a little better...
[video=youtube;kgZZ82tp5es]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgZZ82tp5es[/video]
AMD Black Edition-AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz Processor, 4 GB ddr2 800, AMD Radeon HD 6950, CoolerMaster Storm Sniper case, 1Tb hard drive

Dell AT101W | Razer DeathAdder 3500 | SteelSeries QcK mini - Mouse pad | Logitech S510 | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 21:09:26 »
My reference was that text CAN be NSFW.

But I got a good laugh from George..I miss him.

input nirvana OUT

Offline sordna

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 21:58:29 »
Some folks may want to browse Geekhack with wife and little kids around, or at work.
Thank you all for doing your best to make it impossible.

Offline sam113101

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 22:14:54 »
That reminds me, I discovered linux when I was 13. I browsed google image to know what ubuntu's grub background was like.
I clicked on an image, fell on a blog of a girl debating on why she thinks that lilo is better than grub.

I scrolled down because I was curious. There was a picture of her wearing sexy latex clothes, making love with her boyfriend.
THEN SADOMASOCHIST PICTURES. WHAT. THE. HELL. DID. I. JUST. SEE.

I'm not even attracted to geeky girls now, and I should.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 04:09:53 »
Quote from: Lester;364671
Does anyone know if there exist any laptops with mechanical keyboard build in?

You did not say "current".

T5200: http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:4488

T3200SX should have the same keyboard. T1000 and T1100 may have ALPS too.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline Tony

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 05:17:22 »
I use my laptop with Filco or Compaq mech keyboards at the table, as a desktop. I don't want laptop with built-in mech keyboard, since laptop should be portable and slim.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 09:26:53 »
Yesterday was 'Superhero day' at my daughters school.  She came home and told us all about the costumes her friends wore.  One friend wore a Batgirl costume.  My sons comment was 'Wait, she needs boobs for that.'  My kids are early elementary school age.

Oh hey, laptop w/ mech keyboard... My Dell e6410 and my Filco tenkeyless brown in the same bag.  Can even put the filco on top of the laptop KB if I want to destroy my wrists.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 09:35:04 »
I've got a portable workstation with a low-profile Alps-based board.

Of course, by "portable workstation", I mean a 50 MHz MicroSPARC, a 640x480 LCD, 40 minute battery life, and about 8.5 pound weight or so. Oh, and the damn thing is easily over 2" thick.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 09:40:50 »
I'm sure it would fit on a person's lap. That makes it a laptop.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 11:10:29 »
I hate macs, but hooking my Poker up to my wife's iPad propped up on it's "Smart Cover" almost makes me want to change.  Almost.

I actually think if I pulled the bottom case off my poker and the keyboard out of my acer lappie it would fit down in the hole quite nice.  May not close, but I could carry them separately.

Unfortunately, a mech keyboard would add so much to the cost of a laptop while appealing to a very small segment of the market that I don't think we will see one anytime soon.

Your best bet, as noted before, is tablet+stand+keyboard.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 13:02:46 »
Quote from: lowpoly;365134
T3200SX should have the same keyboard. T1000 and T1100 may have ALPS too.

I thought the T1000 was made out of a mimetic poly-alloy.... LIQUID METAL