Author Topic: Dox KB, Build your own!  (Read 205619 times)

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #500 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:40:14 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457765
Why in the world did we not think of that.. mount it the same direction, but from the opposite side.. So the orientation stays the same in other words. USB on top.
Show Image

but mount it from the opposide side as in your example.
Show Image

Also in the DOX layout you will notice it will not be direction under any switch pins, so there is no worries about it shorting out a keyswitch.

I've considered this during my design, but it will need more space for you to be able to get the wires to the PCB because the USB would sit exactly 1mm away from the space bar stabilizer..... actually.. I might be able to make this work.... i'll work on it afte thanksgiving, going to be away, but i'll be on the forum through my phone

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #501 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:42:53 »
on issue with flashing, theres way too, im going to use the idea I got from the numpad I'm making:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 32726[/ATTACH]

so teensy is upside-down, and add a hole over the place of the button, then we drill a hole on the bottom of case to give easy access to the teensy

Offline Dox

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #502 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:43:51 »
Quote from: ishtob;457797
on issue with flashing, theres way too, im going to use the idea I got from the numpad I'm making:
(Attachment Link) 32726[/ATTACH]

so teensy is upside-down, and add a hole over the place of the button, then we drill a hole on the bottom of case to give easy access to the teensy
You can flash the teensy by jumping to the bootloader with a keyboard shortcut (both shift + B) in hasu's firmware. The reset button does not need to be accessible.
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #503 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:43:57 »
well... for the numpad i'm making the hole is going to be ont eh topside, because i'm prob not going to run a case with it, just going to bolt it down to a wedge of wood so its inclined

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #504 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:44:16 »
Quote from: ishtob;457795
I've considered this during my design, but it will need more space for you to be able to get the wires to the PCB because the USB would sit exactly 1mm away from the space bar stabilizer..... actually.. I might be able to make this work.... i'll work on it afte thanksgiving, going to be away, but i'll be on the forum through my phone
Wait, why would it be sitting close to the stabilizers? Aren't the stabilizers only there for PCB mounted, and plus Plate mounted stabilizers are attached to the plate not the PCB. So it should not be getting in the way at all.. should it?
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline Soarer

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #505 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:45:35 »
Quote from: Dox;457791
Soarer, any info on the thing you are building?

thing

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #506 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:46:23 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457801
Wait, why would it be sitting close to the stabilizers? Aren't the stabilizers only there for PCB mounted, and plus Plate mounted stabilizers are attached to the plate not the PCB. So it should not be getting in the way at all.. should it?

if you look at the cherry datasheet, both will be in the same heigh and position, it only differs on the way it is attached. the plate mounted will still be sitting on top of the PCB in the same spot

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #507 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:48:02 »
Quote from: ishtob;457805
if you look at the cherry datasheet, both will be in the same heigh and position, it only differs on the way it is attached. the plate mounted will still be sitting on top of the PCB in the same spot
And the Teensy will be sitting under the PCB away from the stabilizers.. Is there something I am missing here?
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #508 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:49:37 »
Quote from: Dox;457798
You can flash the teensy by jumping to the bootloader with a keyboard shortcut (both shift + B) in hasu's firmware. The reset button does not need to be accessible.
Im saving this link this time

Offline Dox

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #509 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:50:45 »
Quote from: Soarer;457802
thing
Nice! I remember that I saw that back in September but I don't go on Deskthority too often. Maybe I should look more often.
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #510 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:52:09 »
Quote from: Soarer;457802
thing
Looks interesting though somethings seem hard to find.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #511 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:56:21 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457807
And the Teensy will be sitting under the PCB away from the stabilizers.. Is there something I am missing here?

Im in the thinking that the Teensy is still on the top of the PCB just upside down right now...

Offline Soarer

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #512 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 18:02:25 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;457811
Looks interesting though somethings seem hard to find.
As stated in the first post... where stuff is going on the Fn layer is still to be determined!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #513 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 18:03:26 »
Quote from: Soarer;457818
As stated in the first post... where stuff is going on the Fn layer is still to be determined!
no sorry I meant key wise. well possibly only the spacebar.

Offline Soarer

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #514 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 18:11:56 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;457819
no sorry I meant key wise. well possibly only the spacebar.
Mostly easy to find, except the small spacebars. I've got two 3-unit wide ones from Access POS 'boards. The 6-unit wide, however, is the same as G8x-1800 / G8x-11900 etc, so fairly common.

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #515 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 18:15:50 »
I apologize for the crudeness of this photoshop but this is what we are talking about.
Before
After

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #516 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 18:21:26 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457827
I apologize for the crudeness of this photoshop but this is what we are talking about.
Show Image
Before
Show Image
After
And I still dont think you will have enough clearance. Only measurements will settle that though.

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #517 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 18:32:34 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;457834
And I still dont think you will have enough clearance. Only measurements will settle that though.
Are you talking about enough clearance in the Poker case or in general? I believe in the Poker case.. we will need measurements, but as far as clearing for the USB connector and such, I believe that will be fine as we saw from Soarers insight.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #518 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 18:34:46 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457840
Are you talking about enough clearance in the Poker case or in general? I believe in the Poker case.. we will need measurements, but as far as clearing for the USB connector and such, I believe that will be fine as we saw from Soarers insight.
yes clearance in the poker case I see being a problem.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #519 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 21:32:12 »
yea.. it need to be on the top side to fit in that case, but if you guys are plannign your own then it would work

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #520 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 21:34:16 »
Quote from: ishtob;457966
yea.. it need to be on the top side to fit in that case, but if you guys are plannign your own then it would work
Nope I have 2 poker cases waiting. As soon as people get their aluminum ones their going to sell me theirs for $26 each. I think flipping the teensy over might be a good idea though its possible to help wit clearance.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #521 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 06:09:35 »
actually if you guys want it in that "Flipped" orientation, nothing needs to be changed, all the pins will still be in the right places... we just need to move the holes for connecting the USB farther away

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #522 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 08:46:07 »
Quote from: ishtob;458168
actually if you guys want it in that "Flipped" orientation, nothing needs to be changed, all the pins will still be in the right places... we just need to move the holes for connecting the USB farther away
Sounds goot to me as there will be more clearance for the spacebar.

O and Sorry ishtob but I need got a chance to look at my PCB and I dont think I would be very good at checking but I can try later today if needed I guess.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #523 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 08:59:19 »
I still dont understand this clearance of spacebar thing, I've been using my DOX for over a week now with this setup and never had i touched the teensy the way it is setup, seems like a lot of trouble fixing something that is working already

my other reasons for it to be on top is because I will be using that aluminum case that i ordered so there won't be any space under the PCB for my to mount the teensy. and you might need to cut some of the plastic bracing inside to allow the teensy to sit under the normal case. I ended up putting it on the topside to avoid these issues.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #524 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 09:03:00 »
Quote from: ishtob;458245
I still dont understand this clearance of spacebar thing, I've been using my DOX for over a week now with this setup and never had i touched the teensy the way it is setup, seems like a lot of trouble fixing something that is working already

my other reasons for it to be on top is because I will be using that aluminum case that i ordered so there won't be any space under the PCB for my to mount the teensy. and you might need to cut some of the plastic bracing inside to allow the teensy to sit under the normal case. I ended up putting it on the topside to avoid these issues.
A little extra clearance isnt a bad thing.

Yea I dont want it in the bottom of the PCB just flipped over on the top. I dont want to have to mod my poker case if I dont have to.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #525 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 09:05:10 »
the only thing I can think of for the teensy to be flipped topside is to be able to use the filco/Leo universal space bar... other than that there isn't really a need for that much clearance... but if you want it like that I can get it done for you

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #526 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 09:08:21 »
Quote from: ishtob;458253
the only thing I can think of for the teensy to be flipped topside is to be able to use the filco/Leo universal space bar... other than that there isn't really a need for that much clearance... but if you want it like that I can get it done for you
Yes I would really appreciate it.

Also will you be able to get Dox some measurements of the inside of a poker case somewhat soon?

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #527 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 09:44:31 »
im hoping to get a CAD file made by this weekend, im visiting my sister whose studying architecture, and she's got friends in product designing who might be able to help.

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #528 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 09:46:04 »
I believe if we had the measurements for the case that would clear up the issue of will it or will it not fit in the poker case without modification from the underside of the PCB. But also do we think the plate will be able to mount right on top of the Teensy without shorting it out or having enough clearance? That is the main reason to move the Teensy under, even if it means not being able to use a Poker case, plate mounting is very important.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #529 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 09:59:01 »
Quote from: ishtob;458274
im hoping to get a CAD file made by this weekend, im visiting my sister whose studying architecture, and she's got friends in product designing who might be able to help.
Otherwise Dox said he sould do it pertaining her had measurements.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #530 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 09:59:52 »
Quote from: bloodygood;458276
I believe if we had the measurements for the case that would clear up the issue of will it or will it not fit in the poker case without modification from the underside of the PCB. But also do we think the plate will be able to mount right on top of the Teensy without shorting it out or having enough clearance? That is the main reason to move the Teensy under, even if it means not being able to use a Poker case, plate mounting is very important.
There will be a hole in the plate so there wont be any issues shortind out or anything this was an original planned design. That I have mentioned many times.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #531 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 10:10:24 »
the teensy will be exactly (or a bit lower) than the height of the plates, so we would need a cutout in the area occupied by the teensy

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #532 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 16:02:15 »
Quote from: ishtob;458296
the teensy will be exactly (or a bit lower) than the height of the plates, so we would need a cutout in the area occupied by the teensy
Fine with me

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #533 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 16:26:24 »
On a different note has anyone read this thread or thought about whether they would like it or not
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?24151-Would-It-Be-Possible-To
In short.
When keys are pressed the LED comes on, de-pressed they are off? Since there has been more interest in the Dox keyboard I thought it would be good to ask. I remember trying to bring it up before but other things were going on in the thread at the time, we are at a bit of a lull right now so why not.

Otherwise still related, I was still planning on going with purple LEDs if it is possible. I hope that the space in the metal plate for the Teensy won't cause any problems for that stabilizer on the left side of the spacebar.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #534 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 20:23:11 »
ishtob your not going to like this but I might be swapping it so that left shift is on the outside and left fn is on the inside so that its more standard like a ISO layout. This is based on whether or not I can do that with the Phantom layout though
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 November 2011, 20:58:07 by TheProfosist »

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #535 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 21:33:20 »
Since that is not a big change and that smaller shift will not require stabilizers I do not think you have to worry about it being a problem. If you all of a sudden wanted to move a key with stabilizers into the middle of the keyboard or something, they you might have a problem lol. Small changes other than adding an extra key are rather easy to rearrange for. I have spent a lot of time this past week re-arranging and testing things in the PCB designer program and I can see why ishtob enjoys this custom keyboard idea.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #536 on: Fri, 25 November 2011, 11:32:50 »
Still trying to get a straight answer from the Phantom guys. I dont see why it wouldnt work since they say ISO layout works with their PCB and that row is layer out the same as ISO.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #537 on: Fri, 25 November 2011, 11:43:33 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;458939
Still trying to get a straight answer from the Phantom guys. I dont see why it wouldnt work since they say ISO layout works with their PCB and that row is layer out the same as ISO.
It is not the PCB.  The PCB can do all kinds of layouts.  Take a look at the PCB picture on the first post of the thread.  If there are holes for where you want your switches then you can put a switch there.  BUT, Phantom is a plate-mounted design just like Filco.  So you need a plate that fits your switch layout.  If one of the 5 plates we have don't fit your design, then it won't work.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #538 on: Fri, 25 November 2011, 11:50:45 »
Quote from: litster;458950
It is not the PCB.  The PCB can do all kinds of layouts.  Take a look at the PCB picture on the first post of the thread.  If there are holes for where you want your switches then you can put a switch there.  BUT, Phantom is a plate-mounted design just like Filco.  So you need a plate that fits your switch layout.  If one of the 5 plates we have don't fit your design, then it won't work.

I might have to order a plate myself then. Once you have it designed would you be willing to share the files so I can find someone to modify it for me or modify a plate for me?

Offline litster

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #539 on: Fri, 25 November 2011, 12:28:45 »
Possibly.  I will have to consult with the other team members.  PrinsValium does all the design work.  He doesn't seem to mind giving out his PCB design (says so on the silk screen of the PCB).

Offline litster

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #540 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 14:43:14 »
PrinsValium gave me permission to post the plate DXF files.  So I will do that.

Separately, if you have a Teensy 2.0, can you tell me the thickness of it?  In your application, do you use the one with pins or do you just solder wires directly on to the Teensy PCB?  Thanks.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #541 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 23:04:34 »
Quote from: litster;459273
PrinsValium gave me permission to post the plate DXF files.  So I will do that.

Separately, if you have a Teensy 2.0, can you tell me the thickness of it?  In your application, do you use the one with pins or do you just solder wires directly on to the Teensy PCB?  Thanks.

I currently dont have one bgut we plan on soldering the one with pins directly to the PCB.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #542 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 21:11:16 »
sorry all my teensy are soldered to a board at the moment, planning to buy another when my layout for the numpad is done

Offline litster

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #543 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 21:45:03 »
Is your Teensy a Teensy with pins and solder onto your keyboard's PCB?

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #544 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 21:47:32 »
yes, i bought the pins seperately though

but it should be the same as the one with pins soldered already
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 November 2011, 21:50:40 by ishtob »

Offline litster

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #545 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 21:52:17 »
are your pins the same kind as Teensy_Pins from pjrc.com?  If it is not too much trouble, could you measure the distance between the surface of the keyboard PCB to the top of the USB connector?  I need to the height to know how much room I need to make for the case.  Thanks.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #546 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 23:48:44 »
Mine measures to about 8mm from top of the USB to the surface of the pcb

this is the pin i am using:http://www.pjrc.com/store/header_12x1.html

Offline litster

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #547 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 00:37:58 »
Perfect!  Thank you very much!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #548 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 01:20:32 »
ishtob I have finally confirmed that my change to the Phantom is possible and will be updateing both layout once done I would like to get started on egtting everything together for my DOX the first big piece would be the PCB. Also did you ever end up getting the plate worked out? Otherwise DOX did offer his help we just need to get him the measurements.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #549 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 05:19:37 »
i couldnt get my hands on solidworks, so we prob would need his help to make the plate