Author Topic: Switch not working properly  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Dezeer

Switch not working properly
« on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 09:01:57 »
I have a Filco Majestouch with Black MX. One switch is working little funky, I have to push it away and then press the key. If I press it normally, like I would any other key, it won't recognize the keypress.

What is there to do, to get it working again properly. How hard is it to open the Filco Majestouch?

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 09:26:29 »
Filco keys have just two pin per key plugged into two large holes, so are incredibly easy to desolder, way easier than the 4 pin soldered switches used on better boards.

A decent solder and a cheap desoldering pump are more than enough to desolder a little amount of switches (I bougt a cheap pump because i lost my good old philips, and I payed it 5€)
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Dezeer

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 11:53:45 »
Quote from: Julle;371173
If none of the usual remedies work (wiggle the key, blow compressed air inside the switch), I'd return the board. You'd have to open the switch to see what the problem is. To open the switch, you need to desolder it first. Desoldering a Filco is a *****, unless you have good equipment.

And all of this will probably void your warranty, if there is any.

Well a "good" thing is that it doesn't have a warranty anymore. The real good this that it's the "-"-key and I rarely use.

Quote from: The Solutor;371179
Filco keys have just two pin per key plugged into two large holes, so are incredibly easy to desolder, way easier than the 4 pin soldered switches used on better boards.

A decent solder and a cheap desoldering pump are more than enough to desolder a little amount of switches (I bougt a cheap pump because i lost my good old philips, and I payed it 5€)

So a soldering job it is, I wiggled the switch a little and blew some air into it and it stopped working completely. Anybody opened a Majestouch, is it the same as the tenkeyless?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 12:04:01 »
I'd assume it's essentially the same, but with a couple more clips and screws. I believe the controller board is in the same space on both boards.