Author Topic: Something lighter then mx browns?  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Lester

Something lighter then mx browns?
« on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 17:43:57 »
Is there anything lighter then Browns that have a tiny bump?

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 17:51:15 »
No sir, unless you get a Datahand (Are those even tactile?) or a 30 or 35 gram Topre board.

Hey, I don't mean to bother, but WHERE'S THAT DUCKY REVIEW YOU PROMISED!? :D

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
    • http://csm725.com
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 22:08:16 »
MX Red is lighter w/o tact bump iirc

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 22:14:08 »
It is, but he said he wants a tiny bump. Also, the actuation force on the reds is the same as the browns, although the bump's force is about 10g extra, some say that the reds feel stiffer, due to their linearity, kind of like comparing buckling springs to cherry blacks.

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 23:28:01 »
Cut the springs down a few mm on the browns and they're lighter to actuate.

Or, you could possibly find replacement springs. That's the other option.

The springs in MX switches are compressed quite a bit when the key is not pressed (I think about 5-7mm or so). By cutting the spring a little, the actuation force is decreased, since the spring is compressed less. Doing this has less of an effect on the force required to bottom out than on the actuation force. I have yet to do this modification on a whole board, since I've been hoping to find replacement springs instead. I have a feeling that cutting the springs will have an adverse effect on their durability. If I could find springs with the same specifications as the originals, except shorter, I think that would be ideal.

Offline bdpq

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 23:43:58 »
I have light fingers and I would say topre's all 30g line is probably your best bet.  Despite what others might say, I do feel an "tiny bump" from typing on the 30g model.  However they are only available in Japanese layout.  I thought about cutting the rubber mat and transplant the index and middle finger section to my 87 so I can have an ANSI version, but I always feel like I am going to butcher my boards if I do so.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
where the heck is green?

Offline Lester

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 03:33:28 »
Quote from: Arcanius;379089
No sir, unless you get a Datahand (Are those even tactile?) or a 30 or 35 gram Topre board.

Hey, I don't mean to bother, but WHERE'S THAT DUCKY REVIEW YOU PROMISED!? :D

It will be there in a few days don't worry :P :P
Just wanna use it for about a week~ish, typing gets better and better every day it seems! :D

Offline Farsiite

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 03:35:28 »
do browns, when typed on rapidly atleast, really feel scratchy or rough  or some adjective similar like i've read a few times now? or do you guys think that may just be a minority opinion?
 CHERRY G80-3494LYCUS-2 with G81-1138 HBU doubleshots    

Offline Lester

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 05:23:15 »
Quote from: Farsiite;379392
do browns, when typed on rapidly atleast, really feel scratchy or rough  or some adjective similar like i've read a few times now? or do you guys think that may just be a minority opinion?
Feels crisp yet very smooth tbh, feels very nice! :)

Offline Farsiite

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 06:24:40 »
Quote from: Lester;379424
Feels crisp yet very smooth tbh, feels very nice! :)

ahhhhhh ok. starting to get the vibe that it's more or less a matter of personal taste. in the end though, in regards to mechanical keyboards at least, everything kind of is lol.
 CHERRY G80-3494LYCUS-2 with G81-1138 HBU doubleshots    

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 06:45:59 »
Given that browns have a peak force of 55g, people may find the 45g Topre lighter. I haven't done enough typing on brown switches to confirm whether you'd notice the difference though.

I found that too. Although it was on an old Compaq MX11800 so maybe wear was an issue.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 14:37:09 »

A little bit, yes, but honestly I like that feeling. But only on plate mounted. It gives it a very solid feel that I find appealing, and the sound it makes is great, too.

Offline sordna

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 14:43:29 »
Easiest way for a lighter typing feel than browns, is to give up the bump, and go with cherry MX reds. The browns' bump is not noticeable enough to be useful in my opinion. I do not miss the bump at all, and I'm very glad I switched. The smoothness of linear switches feels much easier on the fingers.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 19:16:41 »
Quote from: sordna;379670
Easiest way for a lighter typing feel than browns, is to give up the bump, and go with cherry MX reds. The browns' bump is not noticeable enough to be useful in my opinion. I do not miss the bump at all, and I'm very glad I switched. The smoothness of linear switches feels much easier on the fingers.

Ditto - I find the reds my favorite
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds