Author Topic: SC2/RTS Gamers... Which switch are you using?  (Read 12329 times)

Offline kwantz

SC2/RTS Gamers... Which switch are you using?
« on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 18:47:00 »
as the title says, also if you have tried others state why you selecte the switch you are using now. Also which brand.

Offline Waterdr1nker

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 19:17:57 »
I'm using blues, and judging from what I've read on forums and whatnot, I've learned that use blues or browns are the most recommended among the consensus of the interweb. Koreans love their rubber dome Qsenns though... And I think MC uses a Topre.
[Use] Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blue . Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Blue . KBT Race 75% Red
[Sold] Filco Majestouch NINJA Tenkeyless Brown . Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue

Offline Bucky

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 19:21:31 »
I think MC using a topre was unfounded (though I am not 100% sure on this), I thought I read after someone posted it that it turned out he was using something else. Also koreans may love the Qsenns, but there are a lot of mechanical users also (some is due to sponsorships though, so maybe that doesn't mean too much). The Qsenn love there is historical from PC cafes using it in the BW days, enough hours on 1 keyboard and most people stick with it (and from what I have heard it is very solid for a rubber dome).

Offline Waterdr1nker

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 19:36:45 »
Here is a list of "Pro gear" from TL: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Pro_gear
[Use] Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blue . Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Blue . KBT Race 75% Red
[Sold] Filco Majestouch NINJA Tenkeyless Brown . Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue

Offline Reason

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 19:44:48 »
See my post!
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?20424-After-going-through-7-keyboards-I-ve-gone-back-to-the-Rubberdome...
Even though I quit SC2 because I'm going to college,
I was 1900 Masters in NA server and 1400 Masters in KR server
I think I probably will be in Grand masters this season if I kept playing but I need to quit for school :)

Offline kwantz

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 20:36:12 »
im stuck between blue and brown... I have had the chance to try out the blackwidow and I dont think thats a good example of how a filco or a leopold blue would feel, I have tried them instore and at a buddies, and they just feel soo damn flimsy and cheap. Almost like a briddle hollow cheapo keyboard.  So I doubt it has the same quality feeling on your fingers and possibly the sound you will get from a quality brand.

Im leaning towards blue at the moment because of the more tactile feel that it apparently has, since most people say browns you have to actually really really focus to even feel the bump.
and I want browns because they are  a bit lighter.

I know people talk about the double tapping buttons is not good on blue, but I would rather have that control so I dont miss click anything, id rather have to come all the way up and all the way down on a key so i dont miss click, on the rubber dome now I have easily misclicked things by accident, whether it be queing up unwanted units, or just other commands.

Offline Johannes

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 21:39:44 »
I use browns. They are pretty good for hours of SC tapping, and the noise isn't a problem when I use a headset.
Disclaimer: I haven't tried blues or Topres..
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 August 2011, 21:48:43 by Johannes »

Offline cmh

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 21:49:22 »
I'm using browns.  My brother bought a Filco for sc2 after using my keyboard and he is also using brown switches.
Leopold FC700r (MX reds) | Realforce 87u 45g | Filco MJ2 Metallic Blue (MX Brown) | Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless (MX Red/Brown/Blue) | Ducky Shine II Tenkeyless  White LED (MX Red) | CM Storm QFR (MX Red)

Offline scribble

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 22:09:21 »
I use blues and reds

Blues were my first switch - i love them so much. those are what Destiny uses btw, but I just love them for typing and stuff because i really love the click and tactile feeling that they give.

Reds i got next because when i play later at night, i feel that blues are a tad bit loud, and people might get annoyed by them :P but i really do like reds quite a bit.

here's a tip though: Reds and browns are gonna be the same for you if you're playing starcraft 2 because you're not going to be feeling that tactile bump when you play because you're GOING to be bottoming out. If you don't bottom out when you play then that's just weird then.

It's completely personal preference and you'll definitely like a mechanical keyboard no matter what switch type you get.
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Cherry MX Blue | PLU ML-87 Cherry MX Red

Offline errol

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 22:22:39 »
Filco Blue. I feel anything else is too lite. Plus, I love the crunch!
Money is your army, every dollar is a soldier.

Offline cirE

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 22:25:39 »
Filco with Browns.
FKBN87MC/EB w/ FKBPRM/B

Offline Aznguyen316

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 23:02:16 »
Quote from: scribble;391994
I use blues and reds

Blues were my first switch - i love them so much. those are what Destiny uses btw, but I just love them for typing and stuff because i really love the click and tactile feeling that they give.

Reds i got next because when i play later at night, i feel that blues are a tad bit loud, and people might get annoyed by them :P but i really do like reds quite a bit.

here's a tip though: Reds and browns are gonna be the same for you if you're playing starcraft 2 because you're not going to be feeling that tactile bump when you play because you're GOING to be bottoming out. If you don't bottom out when you play then that's just weird then.

It's completely personal preference and you'll definitely like a mechanical keyboard no matter what switch type you get.

Very true on the bottoming out part.  I tend to bottom out already with the reds when typing but if you're not bottoming out while playing sc2 then you're doing it wrong! haha jp but yeah I mean SC2 isn't everything so if you enjoy browns for everyday stuff then it's not going to be a problem to not feel the tactility while playing sc2, but I prefer the reds over browns in normal use and am using Reds in SC2 as well.  So far so good, I make typing errors every so often due to a miss hit but it hasn't translated much into sc.  The only thing I've noticed is once or twice when doing a fast hot key I would hit 4 & 5 making them both the same hotkey or 9 & 0.  
The reds are very light but I like that and haven't had much of any complaints.  I will say if you're prone to mistyping then you may want to avoid the reds but I can't say I have accidentally made a unit because of a mistype, that or you keep your fingernails long, you may clip the key above with your fingernail and on the reds it will trigger (not that my fingernails are long or anything..)  Spamming keys is pretty easy. sdsdsdsdsdsdsd

I have a HHKB incoming so I'll comment on topre keys as well.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 August 2011, 23:04:20 by Aznguyen316 »

Offline Zamorph

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 23:23:18 »
I use reds and im in diamond!!! Hi CirE:P its darkember :P

Offline palindrome

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 23:46:32 »
I use my Filco Blue.  I do want to point out that I'm clearly in the n00b category, however.

A nice keyboard does not a gosu make.

*Edit grammar.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 August 2011, 00:59:16 by palindrome »

OG KBC Poker X (Brown)     Leopold FC660M (Brown)

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 00:57:58 »
I've used blues brown topre.

From Gomtv most pros use cheap rubber dome dt 35s.  Others use filco, 1 bw, 1 ss 6v2.  Almost no topres, at least I've not seen anyone use it.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 05:57:21 »
I use a Filco TKL with browns.  But I'm terribad, so take that for what it's worth :)

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 06:02:51 »
I'm using brown switch.
My life for Aiur!

Offline Wihl

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 06:15:11 »
I use both red and brown switches. I think they both work quite well. I use a noppoo choc mini with reds and filco with browns. I'll give the Noppoo a slight edge over the Filco when it comes to SC2 just because of the layout. I have rebound 7890 to F1-F4. This allows me to use the entire hotkey row without moving my hands - the choc mini has no space inbetween the rows which makes it feel really good. I have screen positions hotkeyed on F5-F8. When it comes to the switches, I'd recommend red or brown. Then again I don't like the other cherry switches at all.

Offline brkim1324

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 08:00:53 »
As far as I know, MC use membrane, DT35, which is a Qsenn brand. It might not be an exactly Dt-35 series, but a membrane. MarineKing also use DT-35. He bought both black and white version, and pumped his white one, using both white and black keys. If you look at his keyboard, it's like Q(White) W(Black) E (White), R (black)... It's cool looking.
Many progamers still use membrane keyboards. This just tells us that mechs are not the keys to progaming. It's just taste and for better comfort :(

I use brown, red and blue.
Blue is the best for me.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 08:14:11 »
Buckling Springs for me.

Offline Jago

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 08:47:14 »
I was using a Filco with browns for SC2 and it was awesome. Now I've switched to an all-45g Topre tenkeyless and it's even better :D
Topre Realforce 88UB all-45g (home)
Filco Majestouch brown (work)

Offline Mazora

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 08:50:08 »
why do you need to quit for school? I gamed all the way through university (2nd degree too)

Quote from: Reason;391935
See my post!
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?20424-After-going-through-7-keyboards-I-ve-gone-back-to-the-Rubberdome...
Even though I quit SC2 because I'm going to college,
I was 1900 Masters in NA server and 1400 Masters in KR server
I think I probably will be in Grand masters this season if I kept playing but I need to quit for school :)
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline kwantz

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 17:29:54 »
haha yeah, thanks for all the posts guys, im still torn between blue and brown. I like the sound/lightness of browns, but I really want that tactile feed back of blues.

Offline msimon

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 18:03:47 »
Quote from: kwantz;392468
haha yeah, thanks for all the posts guys, im still torn between blue and brown. I like the sound/lightness of browns, but I really want that tactile feed back of blues.

Get both:)

Offline EllipticSquare

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 18:12:37 »
Quote from: msimon;392480
Get both:)

There are too many good things in life to miss out on that.
Imagine, threesome.

Back on topic ... I think you'll need to sit a while with a keyboard and you'll get used
to type/game with the switch. You'll miss one thing or another, but it still knocks out
a rubber dome.

Gaming equals typing in time spent?

Offline gastro54

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 18:22:29 »
I have both blues and browns, and I use blues for SC2.  I prefer the auditory and tactile feedback of blues for SC2.  (Rosewill RK-9000 & Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Ninja) No issues with double-tapping at all.

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 18:32:23 »
It really depends on your personal preference. I bought Brown and my mate got Blue. I like both because both give me different feel. Blue being requiring a little more force but you hear the clicks and Brown is softer yet you still feel the tactile feedback. Anyhow, you'll be bottoming out all the keys anyway, so doesn't matter. You still hear a lot of 'tuck tuck' sound from Brown when you play SC2!
My life for Aiur!

Offline kwantz

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 18:33:18 »
its about 50/50 for me, i play most of my games during the week,, and weekends i dont game at all as I have my children on weekends....
im leaning more towards the blues... I just want that tactile feedback soo bad. I have a feeling if i get blues i wont feel **** all..

Offline Henry Allen Venture

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 18:37:36 »
I'm not a big RTS gamer, but my brother swears by his Filco with MX Reds.
Current collection:
Filco Majestouch 104-Key, w/ MX Browns
IBM Model M 52G9700
Leopold FC200R, "white" w/ MX Clears
Ducky DK9008S \'Shining\', white backlit w/ MX Blues
Cherry G80-3494(LCYUS-2), w/ MX Reds for Portal Mod

Not mine, but I\'ve got access to:
Filco Majestouch Linear R Limited Edition, w/ MX Reds
Filco Majestouch 2 \'Ninja\' Tenkeyless, w/ MX Blues
Leopold FC500R, w/ MX Browns

Offline EllipticSquare

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 18:47:30 »
I'd say go for the blues, you obviously have a huge craving for them (as you mention them over and over again).

Oh yeah, to add ... I still use rubber dome when playing. Roccat Arvo for those who want a further laugh

Offline Lolcakes

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 19:05:49 »
Hey there, awesome community. I think this forum is great so I decided to register and be part of it (:

On the topic: A few weeks ago I bought a Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with MX Blue switches. I type a lot and I play SC2 a lot as well. I must say that I love the experience for both typing and playing Starcraft 2.

For gaming there is the "double tapping" concern because the cherry MX blue apparently have a release point slightly higher than the actuation point. Because of this most players pick the Brown switches. (For example Fruitdealer uses Filco Majestouch Brown).

I chose the Blue switches because I thought I would really enjoy the clicky-ness of it (And I really do).

Furthermore, even though browns might in theory be superior to the blues for SC2, I think it also comes down to playstyle as well. For example I have never experienced the double tapping problem because I like to fully release the keys (and even lift my finger slightly above the key) when double tapping.

Another thing that is a big factor for me is that I really like the sound of the keyboard clicking. Hearing the clicking stimulates me to press keys even faster and I find lots of joy in it (=.

I want to also add that it is not like there are no high level starcraft players who use MX blues. I am by no means at such high level but as someone already mentioned, RootDestiny uses MX Blues.

Another big player that uses MX Blues is SlayerSBoxer. Of course a lot of the Korean top players use the Qsenn membrane keyboards but I think it is only because it is something they got used to in the past, not that those keyboards are superior in any way, in my view that is.

Offline EllipticSquare

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 19:14:08 »
A weapon is as good as the user wants it to be! (lots of broken theory here)

What I want to say though, a keyboard doesn't really break down on you despite playstyle.
if you find yourself double-tapping in a similar fashion as him/her (Lolcakes) I doubt the blues will be your nemesis while playing

Offline Lolcakes

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 19:34:04 »
Quote from: EllipticSquare;392523
A weapon is as good as the user wants it to be! (lots of broken theory here)

What I want to say though, a keyboard doesn't really break down on you despite playstyle.
if you find yourself double-tapping in a similar fashion as him/her (Lolcakes) I doubt the blues will be your nemesis while playing

I am a male user (=

I forgot to also mention that I find the Tenkeyless form factor to be extremely comfortable for me when playing Starcraft 2. Maybe its just me but I like having my mouse hand closer to the keyboard hand. (=

Offline Reason

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 19:44:05 »
Quote from: Mazora;392207
why do you need to quit for school? I gamed all the way through university (2nd degree too)

because I want to do really good in college >: and I don't think I will be able to if I play sc2 24/7 like i did in highschool

Offline Aznguyen316

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 19:55:53 »
@Lolcakes I agree with everything you posted. Welcome to the forum, from one noob to another. I enjoy watching notroot-destiny and hearing the blues.

@reason a very mature decision. You may find time to be a casual player in between your lectures and hw and of course the partying. I know I gave up a lot of games during my freshman and sophomore undergrad years to work, study and be a little social.

Offline Hydroid

• http://justin.tv/hydr0id
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 20:07:22 »
Quote from: Reason;392547
because I want to do really good in college >: and I don't think I will be able to if I play sc2 24/7 like i did in highschool

I know what you mean, and if you still play but play a lot less you end up getting frustrated when skill starts leaking and you lose things you know you should have won.
Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz | Corsair H50 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX 460 SLI
OCZ 60GB SSD | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda RAID-0 | Samsung Blu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX-850W | 2x BenQ G2420HD 24"

Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue | Ducky DK9008(B) Blue | Qsenn DT-35 Black PS/2 Rubber Dome |2x Razer Lycosa USB | Microsoft 500 PS/2

Help me support and grow e-sports below!!!
What Happens in Starcraft -- Vlogs -- Twitter

Offline qtan5370

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 20:10:55 »
DT35 is good, Pro use them but only for few month and change a new one.
Look for Keyboard? Check my offers. I have most major keyboard and some caps for you, if you don\'t see it there, ask me. I am Top rated seller on eBay now, and have retail store in China selling keyboard and other gaming staffs.

My eBay store http://stores.ebay.com/E-sports-Gaming-equipments?_rdc=1

My store(lower price than eBay): http://www.keyboardwow.com

Offline hella

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 22:49:18 »
I play sc2 with buckling springs.  Rarely I'll bring out the cherry blue switches.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 23:32:48 »
Filco blue and Unicomp buckling spring for me.

Offline SecrtAgentMan

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 23:58:17 »
Dem Red switches

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 01:32:46 »
Quote from: Waterdr1nker;391932
Here is a list of "Pro gear" from TL: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Pro_gear
I expected a general lack of mechanicals, but I am pretty surprised few (none?) are using anything less than a full-sized keyboard. I don't miss the numpad in SC2, and 95% of players don't use the arrow keys or Home/End cluster.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 03:01:55 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;392719
I expected a general lack of mechanicals, but I am pretty surprised few (none?) are using anything less than a full-sized keyboard. I don't miss the numpad in SC2, and 95% of players don't use the arrow keys or Home/End cluster.

Quite a bit of Pros use mechanical keyboards (especially those gaming brands) are mainly due to the sponsorship from the companies.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 04:59:25 »
slayers boxer rocking the nKEYBOARD mechanical
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 August 2011, 05:02:54 by flaming_june »

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 05:23:51 »
Quote from: flaming_june;392752

He played few minutes ago but I only saw a black keyboard, coudln't identify it. BTW on the video Boxer's Wings he was using a Filco MX blu at home.

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 06:57:43 »
Quote from: flaming_june;392752

He stopped using the filco mx blue?

Offline cmh

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 06:58:34 »
Quote from: guilleguillaume;392758
He played few minutes ago but I only saw a black keyboard, coudln't identify it. BTW on the video Boxer's Wings he was using a Filco MX blu at home.

Yea he was using a Filco awhile back, you can tell its a nkeyboard because of the grove in the back of the keyboard where the cord comes out, and in some other videos & pics from NASL/MLG you can see see the SkyDigital symbol above the arrow keys.  My guess is that he might now perfer another switch other than the blues in his Filco, but who knows.  Here's a link to the keyboard he uses if anyone is intrested http://skyok.co.kr/product.php?code=741
Leopold FC700r (MX reds) | Realforce 87u 45g | Filco MJ2 Metallic Blue (MX Brown) | Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless (MX Red/Brown/Blue) | Ducky Shine II Tenkeyless  White LED (MX Red) | CM Storm QFR (MX Red)

Offline EllipticSquare

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 07:19:48 »
Had no idea Boxer used blues this whole time on his mechanicals ... like a baws.

Looks like a nice one, even tempted to go for it.

No regrets then thread starter, it all lies in preference at the end of the day. You obviously like the clicking sound of the blues soooo

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 07:22:37 »
Would of thought he would be using a Blackwidow since he's sponsored by Razer. I know all of FXO use Blackwidows since they are also sponsored by Razer.

Offline EllipticSquare

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 07:32:49 »
No one tells Boxer what to be sponsored by
He tells them what to sponsor
Then he proceeds to ignore related products

Offline Lolcakes

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 09:37:00 »
This is a video I came across of BoxeR playing. To me it definitely sounds like MX Blues but I cant recognize which model it is. Or even the brand.
Here is a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B10if8H9d-Q

Is this the nKEYBOARD that you mentioned?