Author Topic: Next choice after blue cube?  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
Next choice after blue cube?
« on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 13:09:52 »
I just purchased a couple of "blue cube" adapters from Insight – I can only presume that it has the same magic IC inside as the ones you all have, as blue cubes are unfortunately an unbranded product.

Sadly, no go. My Tulip ATK 030244 complicated blue ALPS keyboard is just too fussy. It doesn't work with the adapter on my XP PC or Windows 7 laptop. The LEDs all flash as it starts up, then no response from any keys. It doesn't work on my Motorola StarMax either, which is a Mac clone with a PS/2 port (this is using just the PC/AT to PS/2 adapter) -- I think that gets the same response, LEDs flash, then no worky.

Stupid ALPS keyboard. Should have kept the Monterey ...

(It does work on a PC with a PS/2 port, via the PC/AT to PS/2 adapter though.)
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 13:18:39 »
Interesting, sorry for the hassle though. The key would be to knowing why it doesn't work, dunno how to do that.

I use this: http://piengineering.com/ymouse/whym271.php

If I could test it for you I would.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23368[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 August 2011, 13:22:08 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 16:45:19 »
Wow, that Y Mouse one is a bit pricey! I'll try a Belkin one though, a little less expensive and no need to have it shipped from the States. Thanks for the tip. Why do I get the feeling though that I'm going to be collecting useless adapters for this haughty little ALPS?

I'm typing this with my dusty old Packard Bell rubberdome via the blue cube. Exceptionally firm for a 17-year-old dome keyboard, stiff like a brand new ALPS. Very precise tactile action. Good keyboard, but not a patch on my blue ALPS though, nor on brown Cherries. When I type "ear" I keep getting "aer" though ... some sort of rollover problem I guess.

Pointless ramble: if you take a BBC Micro keyboard, and depress a key slightly to take up the play in the switch, and then press hard, there's all but no sound. It's a linear mechanical with genuinely silent bottoming out (eat your heart out Das S). (Small print: may only apply to the type of BBC Micro keyboard I'm used to, as different manufacturers used several different switch types.)
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 August 2011, 16:48:18 by Daniel Beardsmore »
Bore Awards

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 16:47:48 »
The Blue Cube doesn't work with my SGI AT 101, but the Belkin does.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 17:14:27 »
I thought you were Ripster and wondered how you'd been able to reply back so quickly. I'm starting to think that I need a shrink more than a PS/2 adapter.
Bore Awards

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 17:27:32 »
BTW, do you all mean the dual keyboard and mouse adapter:

or the little mini adapter?

Bore Awards

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 18:55:56 »
Quote from: Daniel Beardsmore;393784
Wow, that Y Mouse one is a bit pricey! I'll try a Belkin one though, a little less expensive and no need to have it shipped from the States. Thanks for the tip. Why do I get the feeling though that I'm going to be collecting useless adapters for this haughty little ALPS?

I've got 3 of them. One for my Datahand, one for my Kinesis Contoured split mod, and another for a possible future Datahand project keyboard.

Yea, I didn't want to start getting a bunch of converters that don't work. Oh, that's right, I already have a box of those.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 07:01:04 »
It works perfectly with the Belkin (F5U119eaE), which just arrived today.

Thanks!
Bore Awards