Author Topic: Sticking ergoclears?!  (Read 2693 times)

Offline silverphoenix

Sticking ergoclears?!
« on: Sat, 06 August 2011, 22:34:30 »
I'm using an old cherry donor for clear stems, it used to be a POS and the contacts inside were really work you couldn't get any tactility out of it. Anyways I swapped 4 of the clear's springs for blue springs. Now most of the time the key's have no problem but they have this tendency to sometime's stick and not rebound all the way up.

I figure the stems need some lubin but what would be a safe and relatively not messy solution? I prefer hopefully something that can be picked up at a hardware store and not some special order thing.

BTW the ergo clears are really nice.

Offline RickyJ

Sticking ergoclears?!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 August 2011, 23:56:16 »
Mine were in good shape, cleaned off the bit of lube residue, and added a speck of white lithium grease when I put them into new blue switches.  It feels like they want to stick on the way back up, feels like the tactile bump is too aggressive for the lighter spring.  I'll be taking the stems out again soon, cleaning the new lube off, and trying again.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline mtl

Sticking ergoclears?!
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 00:30:18 »
Should use at least black springs with the clear stems. I think solutor recommends trying different springs & stems until you find a pair that doesn't stick, if you prefer the lighter brown/blue/red spring.

Perhaps the teal (dark blue) springs would be a good option. Not sure where to get them, though.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 August 2011, 00:34:27 by mtl »
MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline silverphoenix

Sticking ergoclears?!
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 01:27:35 »
Hmm will have to experiment with black springs... I just wish they wouldn't stick sometimes it doesn't happen often from me spamming the 4 i tried out but it does happen. I was hoping a bit of lubricant would help.

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
Sticking ergoclears?!
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 02:19:57 »
I used new Cherry Clear stems for my Ergo Clears mod, and while they do not stick on the way up, they feel like they are.

Offline BiNiaRiS

Sticking ergoclears?!
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 03:35:08 »
From my experience, it's this kind of problem isn't the stems fault. I have pulled some clear stems out of POS boards that look like they have had a TON of use and when i put them in my near new G80-1800, they felt no different to me than the near new stems I had in the rest of the 1800.

On the first ergoclear mod I did, I ran into the same problem. It was the metal leaf inside the switch that was being troublesome. Take a look at them and push them back, or pull them forwards until the switch works better. Then give it a few days of use and you should be golden.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
Sticking ergoclears?!
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 04:04:56 »
Hmm... interesting you say that BiNiaRiS, I have had the opposite experience.

I have swaped a few boards worth of clears with brown springs and they stick more from what I believe to be a more aggressive tactile bump on the rebound. On older clear stems (ones used quite a bit) they stick/hessitate far less or not at all. Sometimes a little bit of lithium grease helped out. After using a clear stem with brown spring for about two years now it has loosened up considerably and hardly sticks on the way up. However, having said all of that, the biggest deciding factor that I have found is the actual way in which you type. As in angle, force, and speed.

As always though, there can be multiple factors/variables at work.

=)
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Sticking ergoclears?!
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 08:27:21 »
I have not experienced this. I have experienced that sometimes the key on traveling up will "lag" a tiny bit but I haven't found it to be a big issue. Unlike the Cherry blues, you can still press it down again quite easily and "double tap". Hence, I think it's a much better switch for gaming. Ergo clears rock!

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Sticking ergoclears?!
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 11:35:07 »
I'd bargain to say most people that have tried ergo clears liked them.

Perhaps it's time for another poll!
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 August 2011, 11:42:33 by keyboardlover »

Offline xbb

Sticking ergoclears?!
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 18:15:44 »
I like them, probably best switch, maybe I like them more than the blue switch... but yea they sticks sometimes... I think I need to try Topre.

Offline The Solutor

Sticking ergoclears?!
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 18:24:57 »
The leaf springs are all but even in cherry switches, and the stems have also tolerances, so when coupling different stems and switches sometimes you can get some switches that are more sticky than others.

This happens on any tactile switch but obviously become more noticeable on ergo clears, so if this happens on some keys just try to swap the affected stems and/or switches.

Is always a good idea to have at least a 10% of spare switches because this issue.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Mr. Perfect

Sticking ergoclears?!
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 19:09:16 »
Quote from: silverphoenix;394447
I figure the stems need some lubin but what would be a safe and relatively not messy solution? I prefer hopefully something that can be picked up at a hardware store and not some special order thing.

Grab some silicone grease at Home Depot for $4 and put a little bit on the bumps of the slider.
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline silverphoenix

Sticking ergoclears?!
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 13:09:36 »
Well I finished the mod.

It is strange though when I initially tried out the ergo clear combo it was blue springs with clear stems in the blue's original housing, that gave me some slight stickiness in some switches(albeit I only did about 10 switches to test it out). Well my final keyboard is actually the TT Meka G1 which, so I ended up putting the blue springs and clear stems into the black housing... and 104 keys with no hint of sticking!!! it just feels like a more tactile brown. I'm Loving it but I thought I'd chime in on the interesting curiosity of it all.

For info here are the KB's used
Razer BW standard(blue spring donor, now is a cyan kb? anyhow friend is using that now)
TT Meka G1(recieved blue springs and clear stems, I use it for the audio ports as well as Fn Layer)
Cherry MX8000 POS (donor of the clear stems, the springs and stems were in good shape but the little copper leaf(?) inside was worn down to where there was almost no tactility left, plus the entire keyboard was worn down from years of use)

Anyways gotta say I love the ergoclears (lite?)

Offline silverphoenix

Sticking ergoclears?!
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 16 August 2011, 01:11:54 »
Quote from: ripster;399399
Any pinging?

Nope, it's strangely quieter than my friends brown ducky. The slight clicks seem to be at a lower frequency.

Offline silverphoenix

Sticking ergoclears?!
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 16 August 2011, 08:51:44 »
Well even when the KB was all black switches I still bottomed it out pretty hard, but no pinging, just a nice, thud/clack as plastic met plastic.