Author Topic: KVM support for XArmor U9BL-S keyboard with USB hub  (Read 4243 times)

Offline mazessj

KVM support for XArmor U9BL-S keyboard with USB hub
« on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 14:22:32 »
I hope this is the right place for me to post, as it's not clear where KVMs fall in the available message boards.

I recently purchased an iONE XArmor U9BL-S backlit mechanical keyboard with onboard USB hub. It connects to the computer via two cables (not counting audio) -- one for the keyboard (PS/2 with an optional PS2-to-USB passive adapter) and one for the USB hub. I tried hooking up this keyboard to my trusty old Black Box ServSwitch KVM (PS/2 and VGA), but the keyboard doesn't seem to like this KVM. I tried a few different things, including resetting the KVM by completely disconnecting it, removing power, and reconnecting.

Does anyone have any suggestions on either (a) adapting this keyboard to work with this KVM or (b) KVMs that are known to work with this type of keyboard? I am actually leaning toward option b because I am long overdue to upgrade my KVM to something that supports DVI and USB, although if it can still have PS/2 support, that would be nice, as I am still rather fond of the PS/2 interface.

Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks.
iONE XArmor U9BL-S (Cherry MX Brown)
Deck Legend - Ice (Cherry MX Clear)
Leopold FC200RT/AB Tenkeyless (Cherry MX Brown)
Leopold Tenkeyless modded by Clickey (Cherry MX "Ergo Clear")
Ducky Shine 3 (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 17:25:41 »
Try to connect the two cables to a cheap usb hub and, in turn, connect the usb hub to the kvm.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline mazessj

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 21:19:15 »
Quote from: The Solutor;394782
Try to connect the two cables to a cheap usb hub and, in turn, connect the usb hub to the kvm.

Unfortunately, my KVM (a Black Box ServSwitch SW722A-R3), only has PS/2 I/O.
This model is close to what I have, but I think this is newer: http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/ServSwitch-Secure-KVM-Switch-4-Port/SW722A%C4%82R2

I see that Black Box sells a USB to PS/2 User Cable, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with my KVM, and $86 is a lot to spend to find out. I don't even know whether it'll work with my keyboard.

Offline mazessj

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 21:27:47 »
Let's look at the technical problem for a moment. Any idea why the U9BL-S won't work with the KVM over PS/2? Could it be because of the NKRO capability? Maybe this is too advanced of a keyboard for my particular KVM?
Or is it possible that both connections must be passed through the KVM (the keyboard connection and the USB hub connection) in order for the keyboard to function properly?

As I said, I would like to get a new KVM so that I might be able to go DVI and USB, but how can I be sure what KVM will work with my keyboard?

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 21:28:47 »
Strange. I guessed you were using USB.

Have you tried to connect just the main cable ? Still doesen't works ?

BTW it really depends on how many devices you need to control, is plenty of 2 way USB KVM for less than 20€
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 21:31:33 »
Quote from: mazessj;394898
Let's look at the technical problem for a moment. Any idea why the U9BL-S won't work with the KVM over PS/2?

I guess it should work if just the PS2 connection is used.

Likely if you switch just the ps2 while the USB is still powered the switch doesent happen correctly.

Just a guess, never used the keyboard trough a KVM

Offline mazessj

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 22:32:45 »
Quote from: The Solutor;394899
Strange. I guessed you were using USB.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough in my original post that my KVM is PS/2 and VGA only (no USB).

Have you tried to connect just the main cable ? Still doesen't works ?

Because my KVM is PS/2 only, I can only connect the main cable to it. I have alternately tried connecting and disconnecting the secondary (USB hub) cable to my primary PC, but it has made no difference.

BTW it really depends on how many devices you need to control, is plenty of 2 way USB KVM for less than 20€

Yeah, I know. There are a lot of junky KVMs out there, too. That's why I want to be careful and make sure I get one that works with my setup. I am looking to control up to three PCs.

Thanks.

Offline mazessj

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 22:37:44 »
Quote from: The Solutor;394902
I guess it should work if just the PS2 connection is used.

I tried using just the PS/2 (main) connection without connecting the USB (secondary) cable, but it didn't work.

BTW, I did verify that the keyboard works fine if I connect just the PS/2 (main) cable directly to the PC without the USB (secondary) cable. I also verified that it works if I attach the PS/2-to-USB adapter and connect to a USB port, just to be thorough.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 22:39:56 »
I have alternately tried connecting and disconnecting the secondary (USB hub) cable to my primary PC, but it has made no difference.

Ok that's what I wanted to know.

At this point I can't suggest anithing else than try a different KVM preferably USB, but likely a different PS2 one could give better results.

If you have a trusted computer shop you can ask for a test, you can go there with your keyboard and try before buy.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 22:43:21 »
BTW, I did verify that the keyboard works fine if I connect just the PS/2 (main) cable directly to the PC without the USB (secondary) cable.

Edit:

Read too fast.

Yes I was aware about this, this is because I found strange that doesent works via KVM, at least with the USB not connected.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 August 2011, 22:45:23 by The Solutor »

Offline mazessj

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 22:57:39 »
Quote from: The Solutor;394935
At this point I can't suggest anithing else than try a different KVM preferably USB, but likely a different PS2 one could give better results.
If you have a trusted computer shop you can ask for a test, you can go there with your keyboard and try before buy.

Oh well, I guess you're right. I'm not aware of many try-before-you-buy computer stores near me that carry KVMs. Maybe I'll try Best Buy (their selection is terrible). If they don't have what I want, then I might have to take a chance and order one online. I was just hoping to avoid doing that. I was hoping that someone else in geekhackland had a similar experience using a KVM with an NKRO mechanical keyboard w/ USB hub.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 August 2011, 23:00:22 by mazessj »

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 23:04:20 »
Quote from: mazessj;394946
Maybe I'll try Best Buy (their selection is terrible).

Maybe amazon ?

You can order a couple of different ones and return one or both depending on the result.

I was hoping that someone else in geekhackland had a similar experience with an NKRO mechanical keyboard w/ USB hub.

I remember about someone that had problems with the nopoo chock, but was more a key combination issue (was a KVM controlled from the keyboard) but not a lot more.

Offline mazessj

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 02:08:33 »
I have an update on this issue. I tried two different PS/2 KVMs from work: a cheap 2-port Belkin OmniView E series and a Cybex SwitchView 4-port KVM. I managed to get both of them to work properly with my keyboard. The Belkin took a little fiddling to get it to work due to its cheapness. The Cybex worked perfectly (I suppose that shouldn't surprise me since the Cybex is server-grade and is much more expensive). I guess my old Black Box has trouble with such a modern keyboard. I'm guessing it doesn't like the NKRO capability or there's just something weird about the dual-mode PS/2/USB interface of the keyboard.

Anyway, it looks like I'll be sticking with the Cybex for now until I'm ready to upgrade to DVI. I feel more confident now that I'll be able to find a KVM that'll work with my keyboard.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 02:34:37 »
Thanks for updating...