Author Topic: So, who bought the HP Touchpad tonight?  (Read 15062 times)

Offline TexasFlood

So, who bought the HP Touchpad tonight?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 19:54:57 »
Quote from: ironman31;405196
I read on the OP of the slickdeals megathread that it's advised to get rid of all the logging the Touchpad does for every little thing you do on it. There are instructions on how to download Preware and all the needed patches in the OP
Thanks for the reminder.  There is a ton of now mostly obsolete info about who has touchpads for what price but also some good info about the touchpad.  I meant to go check out the recommendations in the wiki section of that thread after getting the touchpad but forgot in my excitement.  Megathread is right, that thing is a beast the likes of which I've never seen.  Even now the new posts easily outpace my ability to read them.  I think it was responsible for many vendor websites being crushed as folks read about a new site having touchpads.  Sure stress tested a lot of electronics companies and many failed.  Amazon came through though
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 August 2011, 19:58:04 by TexasFlood »

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 19:58:38 »
Quote from: ironman31;405196
I read on the OP of the slickdeals megathread that it's advised to get rid of all the logging the Touchpad does for every little thing you do on it. There are instructions on how to download Preware and all the needed patches in the OP
Thanks for the reminder.  There is a ton of now mostly obsolete info about who has touchpads for what price but also some good info about the touchpad.  I meant to go check out the recommendations in the wiki section of that thread after getting the touchpad but forgot in my excitement.  Megathread is right, that thing is a beast the likes of which I've never seen.  Even now the new posts easily outpace my ability to read them.  I think it was responsible for many vendor websites being crushed as folks read about a new site having touchpads.  Sure stress tested a lot of electronics companies and many failed.  Amazon seemed to take it in stride.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 20:11:18 »
How long did it take for Amazon to change their price? I remember they were one of the last online retailers to do so.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline sordna

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 20:25:05 »
Quote from: ironman31;405209
How long did it take for Amazon to change their price? I remember they were one of the last online retailers to do so.

Did amazon offer for $99 too? How long did that last?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 23:11:14 »
Amazon sold them them in an unannounced lightning gold box deal that lasted seconds, one for 16GB, another for 32GB. I wasn't around to take advantage.  I wonder if that was really all of them of if woot, which Amazon owns, might turn up with some but have nothing really to base that on.  Woot already had the HP touchpad once not so long ago (8/4/2011) for $379.

Offline the_buff

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 10:39:34 »
For those who managed to get one (I got a 32GB) the forums on http://www.precentral.net are a terrific resource.  A few minor tweaks with preware and these tablets are fast, even without turning the clock from 1.2GHz to 1.5GHz.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 August 2011, 10:41:26 by the_buff »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 11:34:56 »
HP just posted another fee 6-pack: http://blog.palm.com/palm/

Some of them are repeats, some of them are new.  Go get 'em!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline slsSpeC

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 13:31:53 »
CyanogenMod 7 is in the process of being ported to the HP TouchPad, but it's currently in a Pre-Alpha stage.  Not even the touch screen works right now but it can boot up Android.

Looking good for those who made the investment.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 08:48:18 »
Quote from: the_buff;406864
For those who managed to get one (I got a 32GB) the forums on http://www.precentral.net are a terrific resource.  A few minor tweaks with preware and these tablets are fast, even without turning the clock from 1.2GHz to 1.5GHz.
And helpful patches to turn off useless performance hurting stuff like the ripple effect on presses and other animations, themes, app, lots of good stuff to explore.  But be warned as with the app store, a lot of the stuff there is for the older pre phones and not optimal for the touchpad, maybe better than nothing if you need something though.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 02 September 2011, 21:42:38 »
Promo codes for U.S. users, limited use, first come first serve
Audobon Birds promo code CYDQE22373DHLGO
AudiophileProHD promo code ebmxr53816hugpb

Promo codes exclusively for users in Canada, the UK and Ireland. First-come, first-served.

* The codes below will not work for users in any countries other than Canada, the UK and Ireland.
* If you’re having any trouble when trying to use the codes, make sure your TouchPad is running the latest system software and App Catalog (check the “System Updates” and “Software Manager” apps on your device for updates).
* If you already have a promo code stored in your profile, you may want to spend that balance first. Alternatively, check this article on PreCentral for some tips on getting the most from your promo codes.

Big Boss (Fair Play Labs, $1.99): Design your “Boss” – a gigantic monster – and attempt to defeat the brave heroes and powerful wizards of WackyLands.

* Canada code: kkqnv31706zkdcd
* UK code: bnjue28625nuold
* Ireland code: ouxoz42742fobln

Camera for TouchPad (Keen Studios, $0.99): Start snapping away, with options for managing your photos and using them with other TouchPad apps.

* Canada code: gbtto38014qqmol
* UK code: aiswk61753pczck
* Ireland code: zwvjl56648zntnm

Glimpse (Inglorious Apps, $5): Amp up your TouchPad multitasking to 11 using this customizable and addictive split-screen interface.

* Canada code: ojvdq15477umaqv
* UK code: bgaja80086eqgbj
* Ireland code: tjayz54321qtpke

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 17:08:34 »
QVC is selling the 32GB model bundle with a case and a dock for $200 + $14 shipping + tax.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.E167734.desc.HP-TouchPad-32GB-WiFi-Touchstone-Dock-Case  

Good luck!

EDIT: Sold out already... :(
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 September 2011, 17:35:37 by litster »