Author Topic: Buying a Dell AT101W today...which of these two should I get?  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Symmetry

Buying a Dell AT101W today...which of these two should I get?
« on: Fri, 26 August 2011, 13:56:45 »
I can't post the links, but they're the two Dell AT101Ws on eBay for $25 (one $9.99 + shipping, the other $24.99 with free shipping).

Which of these two should I get? I've used, but never owned, a mechanical keyboard before, and absolutely love the switches in the SIIG mechanical (the full-size one). I believe these are the same, or at least similar, switches. One is missing the 4 key, which shouldn't be an issue as I will just transplant the + key, but the other is quite dirty.

Can these keyboards be readily cleaned without a special tool to pull the keys? I've got $20,000 of Snap-On tools in my garage, including about a dozen picks (straight and bent at various angles/arcs), if those will work without damaging the switches.

I also really like Cherry Red and Black switches, but would prefer Blue. Is there another kickin' deal somewhere I can find a Cherry MX-switched keyboard for $25? Same goes for a Model M.

In short, I'm looking for assistance deciding which of the two keyboards would be a better buy, in your opinion. Any other keyboards for $25 (shipped) or less will also be taken into consideration.

Thanks for any help,
Nigel
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 August 2011, 14:42:05 »
Personally, I would stay away from used ALPS 'boards.  In fact, myself and another member bought used AT-101s and had some bad experiences.  I would hold out for new AT-101s as they pop up from time to time, and they're usually just as cheap.  If you do decide to get one, get the cleanest, newest one you can.  ALPS do not age well and the switches can get dirty.  Also, the AT-101 has black, complicated ALPS; these are not clicky.  Assuming that your SIIG is clicky (white ALPS), they should feel somewhat similar, but the SIIG will have a slightly "snappier" feel at the tactile point since the leaf snaps back against the case to produce the click.

There should be an ALPS switch-opening guide in the wiki.  IIRC, they're aren't that hard to open.  To clean them, I would pop them open and maybe use some denatured alcohol on a Q-Tip or an air duster or both.  If you use alcohol, be sure the switch is completely dry before closing it back up.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 August 2011, 14:44:31 by itlnstln »

Offline flashstar

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 August 2011, 15:38:31 »
Yeah, if you do buy a used ALPS board, I guarantee you that the key switches will need to be cleaned so get the best ALPS board you can find. I would also recommend lubricating the switches with teflon lubricant to smooth out the key action.
Keyboards: Omnikey 102 (complicated whites), Omnikey Ultra T (blues), Omnikey 101p (FUKKAs), Focus FK-2001 (comp whites), Escom (blues, for parts)

Offline domin8r

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 August 2011, 16:05:58 »
I have 2 used AT101W now and a AT102W (same thing really) and the feeling isn't 100% the same on all boards. Some are better than others.. From the 3 I have, 2 are pretty nice and 1 is quite so-so. But I only bought that one for a few bucks since I was gonna cut up the case.
Anywayz, for a nice price these are quite nice indeed.

A cheap Cherry MX board under $25 might be a bit harder.. keep an eye on the "great finds" section. You'll probably won't find a board with MX reds or blues for that price but something with MX black might happen for that price (I ran into one for only $1).
Compaq MX-11800, Ergo Clear/Brown/Ghetto Red
Ducky 1087XM
Laser SX-25 , White SMK
Black Dell AT101W
IBM Model M 1390120 (\'86)
Cherry G80-1000, Panda Clears

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 August 2011, 20:13:02 »
If you want a nice 101W I have one I could do for $30 shipped in the us. Its in amazing condition.

Sent from my EVO
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline Symmetry

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 August 2011, 20:20:00 »
I'm headed down to Portland within the next few weeks (have to go down to Eugene to pick up the rest of my stuff I left behind when I moved north), so do you think we could arrange a meeting? I'd love to feel your 101W in person, so I know exactly what I'm buying, and hopefully we can knock off a few bucks for shipping.

PM sent with my phone number.
Visit the Typing Test and try!