Author Topic: A couple of questions about WASD keyboards  (Read 5158 times)

Offline BababooeyHTJ

A couple of questions about WASD keyboards
« on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 22:59:09 »
I'm in the market for a full sized keyboard with MX-browns and I'm considering A WASD keyboard. I'm not super fond of the filco font that they are using for the "modern layout". The "classic layout" sounds like it might be nice but I can't seem to find a damn picture of a board with them on it for the life of me. What material are the keycaps made out of? PBT?

It looks like a really nice alternative to a filco. How is the build quality? I had expected a couple of more owners or reviews here.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 23:03:14 »

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 23:03:43 »
The build quality is apparently solid. The keycaps are ABS. The font, I dunno. Try asking in the WASD Keyboards vendor forum. He's an active member. I think you can cutomize it if you build a full custom board.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 23:26:24 »
wasd has an entire vendor forums for these kind of questions.

i will tell you that the build quality is awesome. I actually prefer the way it feel over my Leopold.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline teraflame

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 23:54:16 »
I've owned a filco and currently have a WASD. The build quality is better than filco and looks nicer imo (all while being cheaper!). Their customer service is amazingly responsive too.
Rubber in domes

Offline BababooeyHTJ

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 07:59:14 »
Well, they wouldn't sell me a board with no keycaps. That would have been perfect. I have keycaps which I prefer to what they offer.

Too bad about the ABS. If the keys had some inkfill I would go with a white or gray set since they don't show the shine as much as black keys. Also how is the texture.

Quote from: ripster;420686
Filco Futura is the future.  Default font for WASD is Arial.

Yeah, it was late. I kind of used the wrong word. Its not so much the font but the style that bothers me. I don't like the smaller more offset lettering. It looks like something that a hipster would use.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 September 2011, 08:02:15 by BababooeyHTJ »

Offline N8N

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 08:36:49 »
Quote from: BababooeyHTJ;420759

Yeah, it was late. I kind of used the wrong word. Its not so much the font but the style that bothers me. I don't like the smaller more offset lettering. It looks like something that a hipster would use.

you don't have to do that you know.  I created a custom design because I thought the same as you.  But now this new etching is making me wonder if I should order some new keycaps...  To the OP, the font is customizable, and if you don't see what you want ask Weyman if he can load it.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline monked

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 14:40:18 »
"i dont get used to the font used on the keycaps"... first... ummm ANSIworld problems!

Offline Deverica Wolf

• My name is Hack, Geek Hack.
    • Head-Fi
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 14:49:24 »

What's all this talk about the Laser Etching/Engraving? They look fine to me. I am planning on ordering 3 sets of Colemak keys from them. I am also realizing I could just order my two new keyboards from them and save $120...

Quote from: teraflame;420684
I've owned a filco and currently have a WASD. The build quality is better than filco and looks nicer imo (all while being cheaper!). Their customer service is amazingly responsive too.

Really? Like I said, I was planning on buying two Filcos. I could just skip the Filcos get the keyboards from them with the custom keys. It's an idea...I'm not sure.

If I was to order from them, would the Laser Etching come off over time? Would the Engraving be a better choice?
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 September 2011, 17:11:49 by Deverica Wolf »
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL
FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  Deck Legend - ToXic  |  CHERRY Touchboard ITA

Offline BababooeyHTJ

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 15:54:40 »
I'm an idiot, I thought that engraving was the only option. Thanks for that picture. Now I have to decide between white, gray, or black keycaps. I'm leaning towards white.

Offline N8N

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 15:59:09 »
actually the colored lasering is new.  used to be that engraving was the only option.  But the fonts, sizes, locations, etc. are all customizable
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 16:19:15 »
Yeah, I feel like etching would be nicer. While I like the engraving, it's got a weird texture. I like how he's added it.

My WASD is of excellent quality, and I'm really happy with it. Everything from the colours to the greased stabilizers are quality

Offline Deverica Wolf

• Head-Fi
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 17:14:26 »
Quote from: N8N;420898
actually the colored lasering is new.  used to be that engraving was the only option.  But the fonts, sizes, locations, etc. are all customizable

Yeah, it just happened yesterday. I was looking at the pictures and and all of a sudden, the gallery went down. When it came back up, the Etching option was added. Just before my first order. Luck!

Too bad they don't sell TKLs. I think I will get the Filcos after all...

I'm concerned about the lettering wearing off but Laser Etching is supposed to last a while. I'm gonna email them and ask what they suggest.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 September 2011, 17:24:40 by Deverica Wolf »
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL

Offline Khenra

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 17:24:15 »
Definitely go with the laser etching. I ordered WASD keycaps a few weeks ago, with Arial 8 font. I might aswell have bought blank keycaps because the text on the keys is completely unreadable. The pictures on their site makes them seem more visible than they actually are.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless Cherry MX Brown

Offline Deverica Wolf

• Head-Fi
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 17:38:55 »
Thank you very much for that. This place needs a Rep. system.

Offline N8N

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 18:27:02 »
yeah, with light/dark grey it's pretty much unreadable unless the keys are starting to get dirty and/or you have direct light shining on them.  But I kinda guessed that going in so I wasn't disappointed.  It's actually a very cool look.  But if you want to have your legends really visible, you have to go with the more traditional style lasering which they just introduced.  Obviously nobody's had those from WASD long enough to comment on wear - not sure if anyone's even ordered any or not.

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 18:33:01 »
Quote from: teraflame;420684

I seriously doubt the build quality is better than filco

Offline Deadly55

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 18:37:56 »
Quote from: HaiiYaa;420933

Same oem..

Yes I'm on a phone.

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 18:42:07 »
Quote from: Deadly55;420936
Same oem..

Yes I'm on a phone.

So is das and steelseries... and they are NOT the same quality

Offline N8N

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 18:56:21 »
Quote from: HaiiYaa;420933

I don't know about better, but I wouldn't necessarily pick a Filco over a WASD for "build quality."  I really have no complaints with either - and I have both.  If anything, the WASD just subjectively feels a little deader, e.g. less resonant.  I do like the styling of the Filco case better, but I also like the finish of the WASD case better.  IMHO the WASD is a keyboard that can legitimately be compared side by side with a Filco and not look bad; picking one or the other really comes down to style preference.  Now that WASD has introduced a new lasering process for the keycaps, they're looking better and better as the non-Ninja keycaps are supposedly one of the weak points of a Filco.  Or you can go full otaku with a WASD if you want.

Offline BababooeyHTJ

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 20:04:41 »
Yeah, the WASD case could definetly stand to be a little smaller like a filco. Thats my one gripe.

One more thing that I have to ask is how is the texture on the keycaps? Does it have that satin texture like the filco keycaps? I prefer a textured keycap.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 20:29:01 »
Quote from: HaiiYaa;420939
So is das and steelseries... and they are NOT the same quality

How is the Das of lower build quality than a Filco?

And if you don't have a WASD keyboard in front of you, you really can't comment.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 20:55:43 »
Quote from: BababooeyHTJ;420959
Yeah, the WASD case could definetly stand to be a little smaller like a filco. Thats my one gripe.

One more thing that I have to ask is how is the texture on the keycaps? Does it have that satin texture like the filco keycaps? I prefer a textured keycap.
The engraved keycaps on my keyboard are really quite smooth. I suppose you could call them "silky" They have a bit of a texture to them, but are less sandpapery than the ones on my Unicomp. They do feel much better than the flat ones on my Fujitsu Laptop.

I really like the blanks ones I have on my board, though.
---
Edit: Never seen a filco, but It would be pretty hard to beat WASD's build quality. I can imagine comparable products, but this is pretty good.

Offline BababooeyHTJ

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 21:36:09 »
Damn, I was hoping for something closer to the Unicomp. Thanks for the info.

Offline Deverica Wolf

• Head-Fi
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 04:32:47 »
Quote from: ripster;421030
On the top left lasered it kinda looks like "Anal" - kerning is all important while printing Arial.  Come to think of it I might have seen "Anal 8".

o_O

Offline N8N

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 07:00:44 »
Quote from: BababooeyHTJ;420959

I've never actually HAD a Filco keycap to type on; my Filco I bought w/o caps because I am cheap and knew I was going to change them anyway (as well as all the key switches.)  The WASD keys feel to me like unworn Cherry keys; not a rough texture like Signature Plastics.  (there's a distinct difference in feel between even the seldom-used keys on my Filco, which are Cherry doubleshots, and the ESC/Shift/Ctrl/Alt keys, which are colored ones from SP, even though they're both ABS.  The WASD keys feel much like the Cherry ones, although they have the taller profile which pretty much everyone but Cherry and Noppoo seem to use.  Which reminds me, I should drag out my Noppoo again and see if I can get ever get used to browns, because otherwise I kind of like that board.)

Offline N8N

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 07:03:38 »
Quote from: ripster;421030
Steelseries is a different OEM.
And have your graphic artist GF pick out a different font than Arial if you go WASD.
On the top left lasered it kinda looks like "Anal" - kerning is all important while printing Arial.  Come to think of it I might have seen "Anal 8".  
I am not on a phone.

Personally I do like using a Helvetica-like font for general use... but I don't really like Arial.  My default fonts right now are Nimbus Sans for most everything and Inconsolata for fixed-width (e.g. terminal)

I don't know why I never suggested to Weyman to switch to Nimbus Sans for the default font... most people can't even tell the difference but it is much more readable to me than Arial.