Author Topic: Cleaning my AT102w.  (Read 1485 times)

Offline eltocliousus

Cleaning my AT102w.
« on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 09:31:03 »
Hello, I've recently gotten my first ever mechanical keyboard (AT102w for £16) to replace my G15 and I'm loving it thus far, it's just a whole other world of typing experience.
Although as you'd of guessed it wasn't brand new, the board itself is pristine with only a small scratch at the top which I will sand over later today, but some of the keys are a little sticky and dirty and the spacebar seems to be misaligned.
My question is, how do I go about taking the caps off and cleaning them? The way I've cleaned my rubber domes in the past is grab a butter knife and lever the keys upwards until they popped off, then got a bowl with some soapy water and let them sit for 5 minutes before drying them and putting them back in, while in the water I'd take a damp cloth and wipe in between and on the 'key holes', however I fear my AT102w may be a little more difficult.

Thanks for any/all replies, greatly appreciated.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Cleaning my AT102w.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 09:49:05 »
I can't remember where I found this picture, but somewhere on this forum are a bunch of pictures of key-cap-pulling tools folks had made from paper clips.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 27219[/ATTACH]

Obviously, the price is right.

My AT-101s seemed more fragile than rubber dome keys, since the attachment points are so much smaller, but be gentle and always pull straight up.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline 1839cc

Cleaning my AT102w.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 09:55:05 »
I've used PC expansion slot block-off plates, paint can openers, knives, fingers and probably other things too. ALPS keys are locked on their switches really tight, so they can be hard to pull without breaking them. That said, I haven't broken any yet. Just be careful and you'll manage.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline eltocliousus

Cleaning my AT102w.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 09:59:14 »
Ive been using a knife for now and I'm half way through with no problems yet!
I also plan to spray paint the board black too, make it fit my setup a tad better.

Offline eltocliousus

Cleaning my AT102w.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 11:05:57 »
Got everything done, works perfectly now except the space bar still seems off center, I'll get used to it.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Cleaning my AT102w.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 20:20:28 »
I'd just say that you should apply the pressure from the left or right side of them.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)