Author Topic: How to stop bottom out on cherry mx blue?  (Read 9087 times)

Offline HaiiYaa

How to stop bottom out on cherry mx blue?
« on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 10:32:44 »
With cherry mx blacks I found it very easy to "touch type", so as soon as the key get registered I move on to the next key.

But with mx blues as soon as I reach the actuation point, I find it hard to not bottom out.

Offline enoy21

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 10:37:35 »
O-Ring mod.  

Will greatly lessen the travel and bottoming out ( although won't stop it completely )  WASD Keyboards sells them in packs of 120 I believe.  ( Might be 150 )
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline enoy21

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 10:44:04 »
That would be them.  Dmpeners are to dampen the sound of bottoming out ( by making it happen less frequent )   Someone on here had a lengthy post on that at some point.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 10:48:25 »
Quote from: enoy21;420816
That would be them.  Dmpeners are to dampen the sound of bottoming out ( by making it happen less frequent )   Someone on here had a lengthy post on that at some point.

thanks alot :D

Offline Khenra

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 11:10:23 »
That's actually not true at all, enoy21. With these O-rings installed, you will still bottom out. The thing is, there is less travel distance before you bottom out. If anything, they make you bottom out more often.

What they do is provide a 'cushion' so your bottoming out feels a bit smoother. It also reduces the noise.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless Cherry MX Brown

Offline enoy21

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 11:18:59 »
Let me rephrase. You will bottem out on the ring rather than the plastic more often.  Thought that was understood based on concept.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline duncan

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 11:21:02 »
EDIT: While I was typing enoy21 made a new post that clarified this better than mine so everyone can happily skip this post.

Yep you just have to read enoy21's 2 posts above to see that Khenra's point is right.

By reducing the travel (should be less than half a mm in most boards) you are reducing the distance to bottom out so saying the o-ring mod reduces bottoming out frequency makes no sense.

But if and when you do bottom out the o-ring will reduce the severity of the experience by removing the plastic on plastic clash (and thereby the noise).

I have ended up o-ringing all my MX boards because it does help with making less noise and less jar on bottoming out but they do not reduce the frequency of my bottoming out - only taking more care in my typing helps with that.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 September 2011, 11:23:18 by duncan »

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 16:50:23 »
DIY Cherry MX bottom out smoothing

there many other possibilities with different kind of material

Offline skkhai

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 17:09:33 »
Put black springs in blue switches. A ghetto version of greens I guess... I have a Filco tenkeyless with the modded switches and it is easily my most favorite board for typing. I actually want to try clear springs as clear switches are my second favorite.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 23:32:25 »
I second skkhai's opinion. Make Ghetto Greens. I've been wanting to make/buy a full green board... just for the lulz. I may make one at some point.

Offline N8N

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 07:07:53 »
The more I see people wanting to stop bottoming out; the more I think that a custom progressive-rate spring for Cherry keyswitches would be a good idea.  Don't want to know how much it would cost though.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline enoy21

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 09:43:33 »
Having never used them I'm not real sure how I would like them.  I don't mind the clack and would be afraid they would feel mushy.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline N8N

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 09:46:05 »
blues?  They use the same spring as browns, but they feel slightly stiffer and more tactile (possibly due to the click mechanism.)  So I like them, although in some settings the click may be objectionable (open office)
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline enoy21

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 10:16:32 »
Technically , I've never used any of the mechanicals for any long term.   Old Terminal keyboards back in the day and a black switch KB I've been toying with the past couple of days.  I've felt the browns for about ten minutes but not the blues.   I tend to like the clack of bottoming out I meant.   This is why I know if for some reason the WASD blues coming in tomorrow are unliked.... That I can fall back on browns and know I will be ok with them.  This old Wyse 60 KB I just cleaned up with blacks feels really good but I can see the "heavy" spring feeling people refer to.  But then I type hard and bottom out alot so it didn't seem like much to me when just playing with it. No worse ( and actually lighter ) than my 4 yr old Rubber dome.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]