Author Topic: So I was forced to change keyboards...  (Read 18999 times)

Offline Mazora

So I was forced to change keyboards...
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 12:40:30 »
ran out of nickels
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline Urglifast

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 13:15:21 »
Quote from: mich;426311
Isn't it obvious what this guy is trying to do?

http://www.google.com/search?q=logitech+k120+vs+mechanical

And isn't it weird that his K120 died after just 2 months and he couldn't simply replace it under warranty?

i laugh at anyone who says that the k120 is a great keyboard.  i typed on one at work for a few months and they suck.  i upgraded to a mechanical at the first chance i got.

Offline Fuzzy Dunlop

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 13:30:32 »
Quote from: Blaec;426353
Good point OP.

I would also like to share my OWN experience with a logitech keyboard.

This was the Cordless Desktop Wave. It uses rubber dome technology and over time the domes matured, just like wine. Eventually after 2 years of heavy gaming each key had its own unique and individual feel, just like a Topre variable but better and natural.

Stopped reading after the part about Logitechs being better than Topre.

Topre ReɅlforce 86UB   |   Razer DeathAdder Black Edition

Offline Urglifast

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 13:35:49 »
Quote from: Fuzzy Dunlop;426430
Stopped reading after the part about Logitechs being better than Topre.

then you missed the sarcasm

Offline shrap

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 14:03:34 »
Just because someone has a contrary preference doesn't make them a troll.

Offline slueth

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 14:06:42 »
^troll

Offline Urglifast

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 14:10:45 »
Quote from: shrap;426441
Just because someone has a contrary preference doesn't make them a troll.

however, purposely going against a popular train of thought and making harsh statements, then not following up and defending your own position; that kind of is trolling.  you have to consider audience, and what was said.  you also have to consider past history, and things this person has said.  this is the second time this person has made a post like this.

Offline shrap

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 14:37:45 »
Quote from: Urglifast;426444
however, purposely going against a popular train of thought and making harsh statements, then not following up and defending your own position; that kind of is trolling.  you have to consider audience, and what was said.  you also have to consider past history, and things this person has said.  this is the second time this person has made a post like this.

I don't understand your logic. A consistent opinion over many posts means that someone is a troll? What does the converse (having inconsistent opinions) mean, that someone is not a troll? I would think the opposite is true.

Granted, the OP seems kind of naive - people shouldn't say "this keyboard is the best" and then in the next sentence say "I don't know much about keyboards, I'm a beginner". But that's pretty much the same thing as when people say "I got my first mechanical keyboard, it is the best and I recommend it" which is common.

I think the OP is dense and not very good at the "read more, post less" philosophy, but not yet a troll.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 14:40:40 »
wlcm 2 gh
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Urglifast

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 14:44:34 »
Quote from: shrap;426456
I don't understand your logic. A consistent opinion over many posts means that someone is a troll? What does the converse (having inconsistent opinions) mean, that someone is not a troll? I would think the opposite is true.

Granted, the OP seems kind of naive - people shouldn't say "this keyboard is the best" and then in the next sentence say "I don't know much about keyboards, I'm a beginner". But that's pretty much the same thing as when people say "I got my first mechanical keyboard, it is the best and I recommend it" which is common.

I think the OP is dense and not very good at the "read more, post less" philosophy, but not yet a troll.

Trolling...it has nothing to do with trolls.  Think of it more like troll fishing, you're putting the bait out there for other people to get upset about and dangling it in their face.  Anyone who knows anything about this forum knows that it's made up of people who are passionate about their mechanical keyboards.  That's what we do here, that doesn't mean other opinions aren't valid, however by purposely posting something that is saying most everyone on here is wrong and mechanical keyboards are BS...that is trolling.  notice all the rise people are getting out of this...that's what trolls do.  they bait you, and are entertained by the stink you make.

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 14:48:57 »
Ninja Majestouch 2 Filco Browns here, solid built, some keys ping -> never the less not loose, not flimsy and purchased from keyboard co. OP should either seek RMA or learn to live with rubber domes, perhaps improve on rubber domes by getting Topre :)
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 14:52:47 »
The issue I see arises from this:

Quote from: SteaminWaffle;371300
I admit I'm not too knowledgeable about KBs yet, but I joined to learn, no?

So he claims, and yet not a single post asking questions, asking for help with these "problematic Filcos".  If you're here to learn then ask questions.  Ask for suggestions on what to look for in a mech when all you're used to is Logitech domes.  explain wtf you mean when you say:

Quote from: SteaminWaffle;426014
... it felt unreliable and shaky. It was barely usable for typing. ... Overall, I found the filcos unreliable and the keys were in fact somewhat sticky, which is very odd especially on the blue one. They felt more fragile and shaky than I could ever imagine, the keys felt too unreliable for typing as if they wore out really fast, so now I'm forced to look at them with distrust. ...

He makes it sound like the board is made of peanut brittle, the keycaps made from spun sugar.

Which part of the key was sticky?  The keycap?  Filco keys are sticky to sweaty fingers compared to my PBTs, been so long since I've been near a Logitech that I have no comparison there.  The actual switch action being sticky?  Not on a brand new board unless the delivery dude dropped it in a vat of grease.

And WTH does shaky mean?  My Filco keycaps wobble no more than any rubberdome I've had/have.

Keys 'too unreliable for typing'... seriously?  Was the damned thing arcing?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline shrap

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 15:00:14 »
Quote from: Urglifast;426463
Trolling...it has nothing to do with trolls.  Think of it more like troll fishing, you're putting the bait out there for other people to get upset about and dangling it in their face.  Anyone who knows anything about this forum knows that it's made up of people who are passionate about their mechanical keyboards.  That's what we do here, that doesn't mean other opinions aren't valid, however by purposely posting something that is saying most everyone on here is wrong and mechanical keyboards are BS...that is trolling.  notice all the rise people are getting out of this...that's what trolls do.  they bait you, and are entertained by the stink you make.

I think if you get upset that someone else doesn't like something that you like, it's your own dang fault.

Part of enjoying a weird hobby is understanding why the majority of people don't care about your hobby. It doesn't make your choices better than theirs.

Offline Urglifast

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 15:01:32 »
Quote from: shrap;426472
I think if you get upset that someone else doesn't like something that you like, it's your own dang fault.

Part of enjoying a weird hobby is understanding why the majority of people don't care about your hobby. It doesn't make your choices better than theirs.

it's the internet.  people are stupid on the internet.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 15:06:40 »
Quote from: Urglifast;426474
it's the internet. people are stupid on the internet.

Not just the internet...

Offline Urglifast

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 15:09:55 »
Quote from: hcry4;426475
not just the internet...

qft

Offline Lanx

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 16:28:44 »
Quote from: shrap;426456

This is what i agree with, i mean it seems half the ppl here are just getting on the train to rail against this guy (get it train/rail) cuz he doesn't like mechs, and more specifically he doesn't like Filco's. Again it's all subjective, it's what he likes, heck if we look at one of his points... it holds weight if you look at it, mech keyboards (or switches for that matter) are shakey, since the keycaps are resting on a thin stem that is resting on a low force spring (compared to rubberdomes) yea that's gonna feel shakey compared to the big 70-80force wide rubberdome someone is used to. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but i can see it, if i look really really hard, his/her point.

Offline Tony

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 21:24:19 »

Who cares, everyone has a right not to like mech keyboards anyway. From our viewpoint, we are too busy typing on and modding our wonderful keyboards to reject or call them trolls.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 08:44:42 »
Quote from: alaricljs;426469

He makes it sound like the board is made of peanut brittle, the keycaps made from spun sugar.

The tastiest Filco yet.

I'm sure if he got a WASD, he wouldn't be sorry.

Also, I'm told getting a clickclack keycap will fix all the problems he had.

Offline Valashu

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 09:32:29 »
You know what? I own a G19 keyboard that's around half a year old and in good condition and would gladly trade it for any TKL Filco you have.