Author Topic: I think I'm addicted - also, blue vs brown?  (Read 2055 times)

Offline ozziegt

I think I'm addicted - also, blue vs brown?
« on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 08:58:04 »
I got my RK-9000BR yesterday at work, and all evening and this morning I was looking forward to coming in to work just so I could use the keyboard. Something is wrong with this picture.

So I must naturally get one for home now. I have a home office so I am thinking about getting blue switches for home. However, while I have found a lot of discussion about the sound difference of Blue vs Brown, what is the difference in feel? I have been looking at the animation of the two different switches but haven't really been able to figure out how the blues would feel any different. Are they lighter than browns to type on? Or do they provide more tactical feedback?

Thanks

Offline Wallach

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 09:18:34 »
Quote from: ozziegt;440432
I got my RK-9000BR yesterday at work, and all evening and this morning I was looking forward to coming in to work just so I could use the keyboard. Something is wrong with this picture.

So I must naturally get one for home now. I have a home office so I am thinking about getting blue switches for home. However, while I have found a lot of discussion about the sound difference of Blue vs Brown, what is the difference in feel? I have been looking at the animation of the two different switches but haven't really been able to figure out how the blues would feel any different. Are they lighter than browns to type on? Or do they provide more tactical feedback?

Thanks

Blues are slightly heavier in terms of force, but they feel quite different so it's hard to get any context from that without ever having put finger to them.

Pressing a blue switch feels kind of like clicking a retractable pen. It is a sharp and distinct tactility, compared to brown which feels more like a spot of significant friction.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 10:01:27 »
get a model m if you're addicted first, sure the limitations are vast, they're old/vintage and you can get a new unicomp clone for more money, but for tactile clicky, many (myself as well) feel they come in number 1, then you can see how modern alternatives such as blues feel.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 10:56:17 »
get some clears
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline c0rbin

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 13:12:58 »
Your best bet for figuring out differences is to watch Youtube videos on people typing, IMO.
Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless Cherry MX Brown w/ PBT caps and O-ring mod

Offline Bry

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 18:50:16 »
Yes, blues are very much like a mechanical pen. As you force the key down, there is a distinct click feeling rather than a tactile bump. The browns are a bit lighter as well.

So basically just picture the feeling of the button on a pen, but with roughly the force of a brown switch.

Blues are super nice to type on if you can stand the awful high pitched racket.

last.fm | deviantART | SC2
Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Red | Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Brown | U9BLS - MX Brown

Offline Kal-El in SLO

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 02:07:09 »
I have a DAS with browns and a Leopold with blues. I much prefer the browns. The blues are noticeably harder to actuate and the clicky sound isn't pleasant like I hoped it would be. The clicky sound is VERY plasticy...and IMO sounds much cheaper than a mechanical pen. It sounds like I'm typing on some kid's toy computer built from bootleg legos. The blues aren't just harder to actuate than the browns, but IMO they also feel more spongy.

The browns feel light and smooth, but still have enough tactile feedback. I barely bottom out the keys when I type and when browns bottom out they give a nice clicky sound. IMO a much better sound than the blues. I wish I could have tried the blues before dishing out the money for this keyboard. At least my wife is enjoying her new Leopold. :)

Offline duncan

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 07:01:14 »
Get a nice plate mounted Blue board and use it for a week. I suspect you will love it more than the Browns (as I do) but the only way to find out is to feed your addiction with a new form of the drug and see how it works for you.

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

fossala

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 07:06:38 »
The best thing to do is join one of the switch bags and try them all for the cost of posting it on to the next person.

Offline Tony

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 30 October 2011, 06:55:37 »
Blue are more tactile but louder than brown.

I prefer browns and now am using it exclusively, but most of us get both.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 30 October 2011, 09:46:24 »
For a change of pace, pick up a G80-3000LSCEU/2 from CDW, Provantage, or from any number of stores currently carrying them.
keyboards!

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 30 October 2011, 09:47:04 »
I guarantee you won't regret it. Doubly so if you're a serious typist.
keyboards!