Author Topic: I want a fujitsu peerless as my first mech  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Demofly

I want a fujitsu peerless as my first mech
« on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 11:44:51 »
Does that make me a fool?

I just went to best buy yesterday to try out MX blues on the super mega 1337 razer black widow and I didn't feel like that was stiff enough.

I shifted my vision towards a buckling spring keyboard, but oh my god they sound god awful to me. It's a sound I can't get used to.

And right now there is a peerless on ebay for 30 bucks to my door...

Should I research alps? Is there a somewhat stiff clicky switch under $100?
i5 2300 - 7870Ghz - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 21.5" Acer 1080p
HPE 87 MX Brown + Ducky PBT (purchased from Flip!) | Ducky 1087XM Xiang Min Black ALPS clones.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 11:46:43 »
cherry clears.

elitekeyboard or deckkeyboards has them
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 11:49:21 »
I have to agree with noodles on this. Clears are a much stiffer version of Browns, very tactile.
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 11:59:23 »
Looks like some people don't like the sound of BS.

ME, I love my Unicomp. I very nearly got clears, because I also am okay with the strong spring force. I love the keycaps, the sound, etc. It's a keyboard I go to when I need to get work done. To each their own.

I almost got clears, because I'm okay with heavier springs (for now) and I thought another tactile keyboard would be cool, but since the unicomp fills that role easily for me, I decided against.

Really, clears may be right for you.

One of the best things about getting a not-as-popular keyboard is that you can sometimes find great deals on ebay.

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 12:04:08 »
I never said I dislike buckling springs, I personally love my Model M and I woudn't trade it for anything other than an SpaceSaver version, and I mean it nothing other then that. But since OP said they didn't like them I recommended the next closes I could think of to the feel that they seem to be looking for.
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 16:52:31 »
Quote from: bloodygood;440538
I never said I dislike buckling springs, I personally love my Model M and I woudn't trade it for anything other than an SpaceSaver version, and I mean it nothing other then that. But since OP said they didn't like them I recommended the next closes I could think of to the feel that they seem to be looking for.

I meant the OP didn't like the sound.

Offline flyball

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 18:28:45 »
buy an at101w
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 01:00:54 »
Quote from: flyball;440770
buy an at101w
Why?

I mean, sure there are pro's and cons to the dell, but surely you have some justification for this?

I could just say "get a WASD", but how else can I talk about the excellent price, customization options, good service, and build quality?
---

Anyway, to the OP: You may want to consider options to change the sound of a BS keyboard. I don't have an issue with the sound (and have headphones on frequently anyway) but there are some methods to make it just as clicky, and a little more bearable.

You may want to consider the new alps 'board that's on ebay. In any case: you should look into alps as an option.
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?21430-APC-Blue-ALPS-quot-Gaming-Keyboard-quot-Auction

Offline flyball

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 01:27:43 »
Quote from: dorkvader;440923
Why?

I mean, sure there are pro's and cons to the dell, but surely you have some justification for this?

I could just say "get a WASD", but how else can I talk about the excellent price, customization options, good service, and build quality?
---

Anyway, to the OP: You may want to consider options to change the sound of a BS keyboard. I don't have an issue with the sound (and have headphones on frequently anyway) but there are some methods to make it just as clicky, and a little more bearable.

You may want to consider the new alps 'board that's on ebay. In any case: you should look into alps as an option.
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?21430-APC-Blue-ALPS-quot-Gaming-Keyboard-quot-Auction
it's a decent keyboard. http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:4912 and it's possible to get one for half the price of the alps board you linked. it's nonclicky but maybe $30 under the next alps board and $70 less than a cherry board would change his mind.

also maybe you should have asked the other folks why they decided to recommend a >$100 keyboard when the op states that his budget was $100.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 06:18:04 »
I'd get White Complicated ALPS. Stiffer than MX Blues and awesome sound. There's an FK2001 on eBay right now (300593398111).
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 October 2011, 07:49:49 by hawkwind »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 07:28:50 »
Quote from: flyball;440931
it's a decent keyboard. http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:4912 and it's possible to get one for half the price of the alps board you linked. it's nonclicky but maybe $30 under the next alps board and $70 less than a cherry board would change his mind.

also maybe you should have asked the other folks why they decided to recommend a >$100 keyboard when the op states that his budget was $100.
I don't remember seeing any specific recommendations from anyone that was overbudget. Thanks for your clarification here. I was a little surprised by it, Doesn't the Dell use cherry browns? The OP likes tactile feel, but didn't like the blues, so I can't imagine the Dell with browns (blacks?) would offer anything good, other than price.

Hawkwind, you missed a 1 at the end:

The focus 2001 looks in pretty good shape. Also, you can "make offer" and haggle a bit. I'd recommend looking into alps.

Offline AMoody

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 09:47:02 »
If you are interested in at101s I have two that I want to get rid of and will sell for cost of shipping.  The catch is you would have to take them both. One of them has pretty good/uniform switch feel, the other not so much.  Also, one is beige and one is black and I swapped the keycaps when I was bored.
Looking for an access AKC110

Offline flyball

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 12:30:29 »
Quote from: dorkvader;441039
I don't remember seeing any specific recommendations from anyone that was overbudget. Thanks for your clarification here. I was a little surprised by it, Doesn't the Dell use cherry browns? The OP likes tactile feel, but didn't like the blues, so I can't imagine the Dell with browns (blacks?) would offer anything good, other than price.

Hawkwind, you missed a 1 at the end:

The focus 2001 looks in pretty good shape. Also, you can "make offer" and haggle a bit. I'd recommend looking into alps.
all the cherry recommendations are >$100. the dell uses alps black (read the wiki) and are tactile and reasonably stiff.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Magna224

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 14:17:19 »
If you do get a focus the ones without win keys seem to have complicated ALPS. If you do choose to get a focus 2001 I would be willing to sell you one of mine with win keys for $22 + shipping if you are interested. If you liked the click the MX Blues had but want more and heavier then, yes, ALPS are your switch. Buckling springs and clears feel nothing like MX Blues to me but MX blue switches do share a resemblance in feel to ALPS.

Also this guy had his focus listed for $33 at one time and has the cover an most likely complicated ALPS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NTB-FOCUS-ELECTRONICS-CO-LTD-920506169-/260521096394?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item3ca84474ca#ht_500wt_1180
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 October 2011, 13:37:30 by Magna224 »
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.