Author Topic: WASD Keyboards Any Good?  (Read 10698 times)

Offline themadreason

WASD Keyboards Any Good?
« on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 20:52:21 »
I have been doing some odd hanyman jobs around school on weekends time to make some extra cash (staining arbors, cutting down trees, ect.), and I found the WASD custom keyboard site.  Are the keyboards and good?  Would I be better off just buying a custom keycap set from someone else to stick the keycaps onto another keyboard, which would be cheaper and better constructed?  WASD charges 140 dollars for a cherry MX keyboard with any character set and color combination that you want on the keys.  Will I get ripped off?  

The Site:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com

Does anyone have a WASD keyboard who would care to comment?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
WASD Keyboards Any Good?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 20:57:58 »
Yes, I have a Custom WASD, and it's awesome. The same top-notch costar quality, etc. I'm happy with the quality, though I think the etched/engraved makes a difference.

What do you mean "buy a custom keycap set from someone else? Who else sells custom keycaps?

Also, he puts the keycaps on himself, and properly greases the stabilizers, it's awesome.

Offline iindigo

WASD Keyboards Any Good?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 21:00:28 »
I'm quite happy with my WASD custom keyboard. Totally worth it IMO.

Offline themadreason

WASD Keyboards Any Good?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 21:08:24 »
I was hoping to find out about any other options when I asked that question.  I do not know of anyone else who does what WASD advertises to do.  I may just give away my rubber dome board after I get my hands on a WASD keyboard.  My 122 key M does not quite fit in my desk keyboard rollout tray.

Thanks for the info.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
WASD Keyboards Any Good?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 21:32:00 »
The way I see it, with WASD, you're getting a $120 minimum board plus $50 keycaps in whatever configuration you see fit for $140-$150. Seems like a solid little price point to me.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline c0rbin

WASD Keyboards Any Good?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 21:32:43 »
IMO, WASD are the best quality keyboards with MX Cherry switches you can buy. They go a step further in their quality of construction (thicker plastic, better cord, more solid feel) and their method of construction (greasing stabilizers and precise switch calibration).

They do come with ABS keycaps (I prefer PBT) but they can be replaced.
Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless Cherry MX Brown w/ PBT caps and O-ring mod

Offline N8N

WASD Keyboards Any Good?
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 21:42:12 »
It's basically the equivalent of a Filco, but with a different style case (not saying that the electronics are the same, just that they use the same switches and stabilizers and they're both plate mounted so the feel is the same) and you have the cool customizable keycaps.  I have a WASD with blues that I bought to cut up (and put clears in it) I liked it so much that I kept it as was and bought a used Filco to modify.  I also bought a set of their keycaps when they came out with the new lasering process and put those on a Noppoo Choc Pro.  Really, I can't say enough nice things about WASD.  I prefer the newer laser process overall, but my WASD with blues and the original "engraved" keys looks damn cool.

Long story short, so long as you like the switch offerings and don't insist on tenkeyless or a layout other than ANSI, WASD is hard to beat.  Some may knock them for using ABS keycaps, but honestly, at the levels of pickiness we are talking about here, you could find fault with just about everyone's keycaps.  (I like the feel of the stock Noppoo keycaps slightly better, but changed them out anyway because the weird font bothered me.  I also use Cherry doubleshots on the board that I use at work, and they're starting to get a little shiny.  C'est la vie.  It's still a great board.)

Short answer, no, you won't get ripped off, and if the custom keycap thing appeals to you, they're likely the best option for you.  Buy with confidence, it is a nice board.  Now go obsess over switch choice and spend a week fine tuning your custom key layout.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline enoy21

WASD Keyboards Any Good?
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 22:04:15 »
I love my semi custom AND my Filco.   I use the WASD at work for the ten key and the Filco at home for gaming and comfort.  Both are excellent boards.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
WASD Keyboards Any Good?
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 November 2011, 07:58:53 »
Check out my review on keyboardlover.com.

Offline Wallach

WASD Keyboards Any Good?
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 November 2011, 08:56:23 »
I've heard nothing but good things about them. I'd love to get one in the future, but I don't think I'll be buying any more full-size keyboards so it won't be until they have a tenkeyless option. With any luck by then maybe they'll also have an option for PBT keycaps!

Offline itlnstln

WASD Keyboards Any Good?
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 November 2011, 09:09:12 »
I highly recommend them.

Offline themadreason

WASD Keyboards Any Good?
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 November 2011, 22:17:46 »
"Now go obsess over switch choice and spend a week fine tuning your custom key layout."

lol

I am way ahead of you.  I have been obsessing over the custom design for a month now, while I save money.  I am thinking cherry browns with a full custom keycap set.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
WASD Keyboards Any Good?
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 12:30:41 »
I did weight it as one point all I remember is that it is 2 ounces heavier than a Rosewill.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
WASD Keyboards Any Good?
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 16:47:44 »
I can weigh the WASD again if needed. The Rosewills that I have are v2s with the detachable usb cable. I could weigh them again but I dont think it would be the correct weight your looking for because I have changed the key caps to PBT, added o-rings, and lubed the stabilizers and switches. O, I almost forgot I added a fair bit of lead weights to them making them right about 4lbs now.